Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

ponz924
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

I am beyond pleased with Their 24-70/2.8 VC

Ponz

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM
ChipThome
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

IMHO, Consumer lenses end at an MSRP of $499. Anything above that price point is a different breed of cat. Now what you want to call that breed, or if you want to assess more breeds from there on out, that's up to you.

I have the 70-300 and am overall very pleased with it. Just got it back from warranty work from Tamron, was gone 10 days. Prior to that lens, I tried the 10-24 and the 17-55 and neither did much for me. That 70-300 though was enough to get me looking and finally buying the 24-70VC. I count the amount of time the 24-70 has been on my body in months, if that tells how I feel about it.

Just recently I had bought the 28-75 for a second body for video work, and found that one just fine too. I did though just swap it out for the same vintage 70-200 non VC and love it !!!

I think Tamron is on a roll, definitely if one compares it to the Tamron of 5-10 years ago or more. I am holding off on a 150-600, hoping they dial in manufacturing and the softness issue goes away here a little later in production. But even if they don't, I doubt the 150-600 could be a bigger disappointment than my Bigma was for me.

Jun 21, 2014 at 07:25 AM
ana2jal

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

I agreed on your comments of Tamron products. Not the other company.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

ChipThome wrote:
IMHO, Consumer lenses end at an MSRP of $499. Anything above that price point is a different breed of cat. Now what you want to call that breed, or if you want to assess more breeds from there on out, that's up to you.

I have the 70-300 and am overall very pleased with it. Just got it back from warranty work from Tamron, was gone 10 days. Prior to that lens, I tried the 10-24 and the 17-55 and neither did much for me. That 70-300 though was enough to get me looking and finally buying the 24-70VC. I
...Show more

$500 is very cheap other than for some simple primes. I don't feel that cost is distinction, rather the image quality, build quality, and long-term compatibility are the important factors.
I've seen too many older off-brand lenses become paperweights, or have IQ that started to vary in the edges over time due to the mechanics. It's not to say that Nikkors are perfect (some of the low-grade ones are cheaply built too), but the only time I'd consider buying a 3rd party lens is when there is no OEM equivalent.

EBH

Jun 21, 2014 at 03:22 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

I don't think the "mechanics" and longevity argument is in Nikon's favor. I am yet to have a 3rd party lens fail on me whether of old designs or the newer ones, on the other hand, I had a squeaky 300 AF-S, a 17-35 that died on me, lenses with loose rubber and some lenses that needed extreme AF tuning. That's only in my experience without taking into account other horror stories we read and hear about. These are professional grade lenses that are not cheap and not supposed to behave like that. The body issues is a whole other topic.

I think it's better to look at each lens as a separate case rather than generalize over a whole brand line up. Nikon has lenses that nothing comes close to their performance and mechanics but at the same time they also have lenses that have certain problems or they flop optically.

Jun 21, 2014 at 03:39 PM
coastalconn

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Unless I missed an announcement the Tamron 180 Macro is not new and was released in 2003.. At that point, I don't think any of their lenses had VC? I just scored one a month ago for $315 in mint condition and love it.. I also have the 150-600 and for the money, it is pretty tough to beat.. Sure their lineup isn't as exciting as Sigma's newest releases, but they are quietly putting out quality lenses at competitive prices..

Jun 21, 2014 at 06:24 PM
ChipThome
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

EB-1 wrote:
$500 is very cheap other than for some simple primes.
EBH

When I think "Consumer" I am thinking of the person who goes out and buys a kit for $900 or less to get the better pictures and video of the kids, that they can't get with their phone. They buy the kit go home and find out it's limitations. They then maybe pop for the 55-200VR or really get crazy and buy the 55-300VR. After that, possibly they buy a nifty 50, or 35 f1.8, but just one case to carry all of it and then they call it all good. At first they try using it all the time. They get some keepers, lots of blurry stuff and they get frustrated. The camera begins to spend more time in the closet than out until one day the most uttered phrase they use about their gear is "oh crap..... we shoulda brought the camera!"

I've been "that guy" but this time around I consider myself one notch above, whatever you want to call that. I kinda like the term "enthusiast" because I am not "that guy" anymore but sure as heck not a pro who is getting paid either. I understand and appreciate the benefits better glass is going to give me. I wouldn't be too surprised if whatever one wants to call the category I fall into, isn't Tamron's target market.

Edited on Jun 22, 2014 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2014 at 06:28 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Some of my very first glass was from Sigma (I was on a budget) and was happy with it till I bought a 150-500 OS lens. Gosh, the worst piece of glass possible and bought Nikon ever since till ...
Yes, I was going to my local store and bought after serious tests a Sigma 85mm f1.4 and is a very fine piece of glass.
I would never buy a Sigma lens through mail order as I want to test it before closing the shop's door behind me. That counts also for Tamron, Tokina, ...
Only was did I had to send a Nikon lens in for repair (the 24-70 f2.8) with a zoom ring issue but for the rest was all good!

Is Tamron on a roll? Who will tell but they might think the same as what Sigma is thinking, that the customers don't settle for lesser quality these days.

Jun 21, 2014 at 08:59 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

One thing I'm starting to notice is that Nikon and Canon may be omitting niche designs that others already do very well; Canon's 70-300 non-L, for example, is a useful optic when purchased on sale, but could use an update, whereas the Tammy is much closer to Canon's wonderful L version. Similarly, I don't expect Canon to produce a 14-24/2.8 to compete with Nikon, when the Nikon can be used with an FX G -> EF adapter with ease, and the loss of AF really is no loss given how that lens it typically used.

And then there's Sigma, knocking their primes and all of their zooms out of their relative parks- even their 'lowly' 17-70/2.8-4 OS | C brings something to the table that the OEMs don't provide, and one can't help but mention their outstanding 18-35/1.8 Art and 120-300/2.8 OS | Sport lenses for which no one has even a remote answer.

This is where Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina thrive, and one can't knock Tamron for beating up on the first-party super-zooms. It's an area where everyone would love to see improvement, and it's an area where Tamron appears especially suited to deliver.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Tamron should concentrate on a stellar 400mm f4 IS.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

It's just you...

Jun 22, 2014 at 01:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Paul Mo wrote:

If you used their 400/4 years ago, you know it really did not work out. Most people bought the 300/2.8 and used the converter. I could see Sigma making a 150 or 200 to 400/4 or similar as it would be a variation on their 120-300/2.8. I think Tamron is less likely to get in that market soon, but who knows.

EBH

Jun 22, 2014 at 03:28 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

I think Tamron hit a homerun personally with their 150-600 zoom. I can't complain about the quality of that lens.

What other lens for about a grand will get you to a native 600mm?

Edited on Jun 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2014 at 04:20 PM
Cadaver
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

CanadaMark made some good points. With Sigma's Art series, it would be Sigma that's on a major roll, not Tamron. I like Tamron and they've made some nice lenses, but nothing like what Sigma has recently done. The Tamron 150-600mm has a decreasing IQ once you get to 600mm, and stopping down is required for the sharpest shots. No game changer there. And the news of their new slow superzoom? well, it's not what I call exciting. On the other hand I'll be quite excited to see every new lens released in Sigma's Art series.

Jun 22, 2014 at 05:26 PM
coastalconn

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Sure it's not a 500 F4. But for the price I'me happy. Sharp enough for me stopped down a little..
F7.1, at 600mm, 1/200th HH
Many angles of "George" 1 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

F8, at 600mm 1/320th HH
Osprey around the perch 6_11 3 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:55 PM
rw11
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

putting together some of the comments re eyes glazing over when yet another superzoom (YASZ) is announced and the crazy slow apertures makes me think of this bit of doggerel:

3 Lenses for the Elf Lords under the sky
9 Lenses for Mortal men, doomed to die

One Lens to Rule Them All
And in the DARKNESS Bind Them

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM
glennh56
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Still have my bought used copies of the DX 17-50 and FX 28-75 which are just fine. I tried the 18-270 DX on a whim and I must have got a bad copy because it went back IMMEDIATELY.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

EB-1 wrote:
If you used their 400/4 years ago, you know it really did not work out.

But that was 'years ago' and if Tamron made a really good 400 f4 IS today they could gut some of Canon's 400 f5.6 sales and it would be within reach of those who can't afford the 300 f2.8 - I just think there is an opportunity there.

Jun 23, 2014 at 01:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Paul Mo wrote:

EB-1 wrote:
If you used their 400/4 years ago, you know it really did not work out.

Paul Mo wrote:
But that was 'years ago' and if Tamron made a really good 400 f4 IS today they could gut some of Canon's 400 f5.6 sales and it would be within reach of those who can't afford the 300 f2.8 - I just think there is an opportunity there.

Theoretically, but modern 300/2.8 lenses are excellent with a 1.4x TC and the versatility is better. Only if a 400/4+1.4x is better than a 300/2.8+2x do I see much purpose. Of course Tamron, Sigma, etc. can make cheaper lenses than Nikkors and Canons, but that is not my criteria. Old lenses like the 400/5.6 only exist because they can still be produced cheaply enough without a redesign.

EBH

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:55 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Interesting question. Unlike Tokina, which is a one trick pony with the 11-16, Tamron has a few interesting offerings like the 90, the 70-200, and the 150-600. However, all of these are either cheaper, or slightly upgraded versions of what other companies have. I'd have to agree with the majority here - Sigma's the one on a roll. Tamron's a strong contender for the budget concious though, and if I don't get Sigma's 120-300 I'll be looking hard at Tamron's 70-200 or the 150-600.

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:19 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password