Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Seems to me like Tamron has been putting out a lot of good glass as of late, filling in where Nikon has holes or offering good quality but significantly less expensive alternatives to Nikon lenses. I know for my part I have two Tamron lenses and am pleased with both:

Tamron 180mm micro -- equals the performance of my brother's Nikno 200mm AF-D micro at 1/3 the cost
Tamron 70-300 -- for the $250 I paid for it new, it was a steal and a good performer.

At any rate, Tamron just came out with another one if anyone is interested:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/new-tamron-lenses-announced.html

Jun 20, 2014 at 01:35 PM
cope07
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

I feel think I need to roll up and newspaper and start telling lens makers to Stop. It. f/6.3 on the end of a zoom is not okay. Stop down one aperture for sharpness (forget any shallow DOF), and then if you stop down one more you are into diffraction. Terrible.

On the plus side, the new lens makes looks a little better than the typically (IMO) cheesy looking tamron lenses

Jun 20, 2014 at 01:46 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Eh, Tamron made a different lens, I wouldn't say they are on a roll, well, not by Sigma standards.

Jun 20, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.1 #4 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

On a roll with mediocrity or matching 30 year old lens designs?

Jun 20, 2014 at 01:54 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #5 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

What BenV said.

My eyes just glaze over when another superzoom is announced. If I never wanted to change lenses I wouldn't buy a DSLR, and save the money weight and size.

Jun 20, 2014 at 02:02 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Looks like a nice lens for noon shots. That is noon, not moon.

Jun 20, 2014 at 05:21 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

OK, guys, point taken with regards to this particular lens, but in general they have been turning out a lot of lenses, and not all are consumer zooms that are outside what we would use.

Jun 20, 2014 at 05:27 PM
CanadaMark
• •
p.1 #8 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Tamron makes some nice lenses but they don't really have any standouts like the Sigma ART primes. Their 180mm macro omitting VC is very strange as well.

Their 24-70/2.8 VC was decent, but nothing to write home about.

Their flurry of 18-XXX zoom lenses are OK, on par with everyone else, and really slow on the tele end. Their 70-300VC is on par with the Nikon.

Their 90mm VC macro is fantastic, but again on par with everyone else pretty much, since everyone makes a fantastic 90-105mm range macro.

The 150-600 is good value for 600mm but soft and slow at 600mm (most people seem to be using it at F8), which is what everyone is buying it for. I'd have rather seen them put out a 400-600mm with emphasis on 600mm quality. I realize it's not meant to compete with a $12,000 600/4, so it still will be a popular lens.

I know they are less money than the Nikon counterpart, but they don't have much that interests me personally. Most of their tele zooms are really slow on the long end where they see the majority of their use.

For me, most of their announcements are "yep, there's another one" rather than a "wow I gotta try that". Sigma is doing by far the best of the third parties right now, IMHO. I want them to release a 24-70 OS ART unless Nikon puts VR in the next 24-70.

Jun 20, 2014 at 05:31 PM
renowood

p.1 #9 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

I have the 17-50 2.8 Tammy w/o VC and like it but tried 2 copies of the 24-70 2.8 at a walkaround event in Virginia City, NV and both were horrible not a single image in focus. The 70-200 2.8 was good.

I think Sigma Art lenses are really shaking things up much more than Tamron.

Check for a chance to try the Tamrons: http://www.tamron-usa.com/tailgate/

Jun 20, 2014 at 05:51 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

MalbikEndar wrote:
What BenV said.

My eyes just glaze over when another superzoom is announced. If I never wanted to change lenses I wouldn't buy a DSLR, and save the money weight and size.

I'd actually be more interested in this lens if they didn't decide to charge so damn much for it. Granted, Canon's L version is over twice as much- but that lens, unlike this one, is literally meant to go everywhere and 'get the shot'.

However, what's interesting about this new 28-300 is that it is relatively light and compact. When paired with a compact full-frame like a D610 or 6D, it has the potential to provide for a very wide range of quality shots (optics to be determined still, of course) for occasions where one can have only one lens. While I expect this to be limited mostly to vacations, if one were to strap a decent flash on- even say a higher-end Yongnuo or a used Nikon or Canon pro flash- the lens would make for a decent reportage kit as well.

I look forward to how it stacks up to Nikon's entry, and I think that it will be more popular on Canon than most people would imagine .

Jun 20, 2014 at 06:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Tough crowd ...

I just figured where

-- the 150-600 has its own thread,
-- the 70-300 was a topic of a recent thread as a popular alternative to the Nikon for a walk-around lens (Dad mode instead of photographer mode)
-- both the 90 and 180 micros are every bit as good as the Nikon version in terms of IQ,
-- the new 28-300 is a smaller, lighter and less $$ version of the popular Nikon lens for walk-around purposes

that Tamron would have a more favorable view among the Nikon crowd ... I guess not.

Granted these are not end-all be all lenses, and many are the convenience consumer zooms ... but there are times when those lenses have their place, like when my 1st priority is to be a Dad and taking pictures is secondary, then a 70-300 is a nice alternative to a big heavy 70-200 f/2.8. and I got the Tamron new at 1/3 the price!!

Also, in terms of the 180 micro ... who needs VR (or its equivalent) on a long micro lens? Even Nikon does not offer that and the 200mm macro cost 3X as much as the Tamron but is no better in performance.

Just saying.

Jun 20, 2014 at 07:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

The 150-600 is really the only 'special' lens that Tamron has; the rest are an approximation of available first party lenses, to greater and lesser extents.

For macros, in particular, Sigma has this market cornered outside of Canon's amazing 100L, but then only when used for telephoto and 'near macro' work. For actual macro, all Sigma. And yes, on Canon at least, the IS and the AF on the 100L is useful all the way to 1:1, and even greater with tubes. But then, Canons focus at 1:1, where I hear Nikons seem to give up for no apparent reason.

I guess it's important to keep in mind that Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Samyang and even Zeiss can only exist in credible gaps left by first-party makers in coverage, quality, or price. For a Canon example I'm familiar with, the Canon 180L while a wonderfully rendering optic just gets stomped by the far newer Sigma 150/2.8 and 180/2.8 OS lenses, on and off the macro rails; the 150/2.8 OS in particular finds a great value in it's apochromatic design, similar price to ~100mm first party entries, and that it comes with a tripod ring and takes TCs (the 100L doesn't).

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:07 PM
SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #13 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

To me if anyone is on a roll it is Sigma with all of the good lenses they have been putting out there recently.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:04 PM
CanadaMark
• •
p.1 #14 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Tough crowd ...

I just figured where

-- the 70-300 was a topic of a recent thread as a popular alternative to the Nikon for a walk-around lens (Dad mode instead of photographer mode)
-- both the 90 and 180 micros are every bit as good as the Nikon version in terms of IQ,
-- the new 28-300 is a smaller, lighter and less $$ version of the popular Nikon lens for walk-around purposes

that Tamron would have a more favorable view among the Nikon crowd ... I guess not.

Granted these are not end-all
...Show more

I don't think anyone is saying Tamron isn't putting out good products, they just don't have any "wow" products, so I wouldn't say they are on a roll. Sigma's ART lenses (18-35/1.8, 35, 50, etc.) are absolutely outstanding, as well as affordable, and I would say they are definitely on a roll these days. They even have a USB dock to help with AF and sample variation issues, but you don't seem to read about 'bad copies" among their ART lenses anyway.

Nikon doesn't have VR on it's 200mm macro because that lens was introduced in 1993 and is coming up on it's 22nd birthday. If it ever gets replaced (which it is in desperate need of), I would be very disappointed if Nikon excludes VR. Most of the modern macros have image stabilization, including the Tamron 90mm, which is an outstanding lens for $650. Tamron had no reason to omit VC from their new 180 macro, especially with it's longer focal length, and is a deal breaker for me personally. VR is incredibly useful on a macro lens, especially since macro lenses have many other uses (eg. they are all made at common portrait focal lengths). It's definitely one of those things where I'd rather have it even if I rarely use it than not have the option at all. I find VR absolutely invaluable on both my 105VR and 16-35VR, two lenses people often argue don't need it, and I have countless photos I wouldn't have got without it. That's just me though, everyone's different.

Tamron does a fantastic job of releasing high bang for the buck 'consumer grade' lenses which are mostly zooms. In fact if I still had a DX camera, I'd probably own a 17-50/2.8 VC by now. I also almost bought their 90mm VC Macro, but found a deal on the Nikon 105 that was too good to pass up. I have nothing against Tamron at all, and always shop them when I'm in the market, but I don't feel like they have any real standout products at the moment compared to Sigma or anyone else.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:06 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #15 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Seems to me like Tamron has been putting out a lot of good glass as of late, filling in where Nikon has holes or offering good quality but significantly less expensive alternatives to Nikon lenses. I know for my part I have two Tamron lenses and am pleased with both:

Tamron 180mm micro -- equals the performance of my brother's Nikno 200mm AF-D micro at 1/3 the cost
Tamron 70-300 -- for the $250 I paid for it new, it was a steal and a good performer.

At any rate, Tamron just came out with another one if anyone is interested:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/new-tamron-lenses-announced.html

I had the first VC version of the lens and it was pretty good lens for what it was. Only thing I didn't like about it was the AF was very slow, other then that it was a nice walk around lens. Been waiting for Tamron to update it with the latest and great stuff. I'll pick one up for sure when it comes. I had the Nikon 28-300 and it was a great lens, but what a beast it was. This tammy looks nice and compact.

One of the other posters said these lenses are only good for taken pic's at noon time. I beg to differ,

Untitled by David N Holt Jr, on Flickr

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

cope07 wrote:
Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Do you consider the defective Tamron 150-600 EF lenses as indicative of being on a roll?
I'd say that Sigma is on more of a roll lately.

EBH

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #17 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

I've used quite a few Tamron lenses and have been a fan of the lower cost / acceptable quality for a while. I was really disappointed with the quality of the 17-50 2.8 for sure but I think that's the first Tamron I could say that about.

As far as their gear in my bag, I currently I use the 70-200 2.8, 90mm Macro (Non VC and I LOVE this lens), and for family outings I use the 18-270 VC. The 18-270 is OK and performs well enough for casual stuff, but I did grab one photo with it that I've been in love with since I shot it...
https://flic.kr/p/nLX7bF

And I like this one too...
https://flic.kr/p/nKzqjA

Hard to believe (for me anyway) that those came from a consumer superzoom.

And here is a few with the 90mm...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124135949@N05/sets/72157644478133979/

So yeah, they do make some good glass and I'm thankful for the alternative. I did, however, have to replace that 17-50 with a Nikon 17-55

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:00 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #18 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

CanadaMark wrote:
Tamron makes some nice lenses but they don't really have any standouts like the Sigma ART primes. Their 180mm macro omitting VC is very strange as well.

Their 24-70/2.8 VC was decent, but nothing to write home about.

Their flurry of 18-XXX zoom lenses are OK, on par with everyone else, and really slow on the tele end. Their 70-300VC is on par with the Nikon.

Their 90mm VC macro is fantastic, but again on par with everyone else pretty much, since everyone makes a fantastic 90-105mm range macro.

The 150-600 is good value for 600mm but soft and slow at 600mm (most people
...Show more

Rumour has it Sigma is set to release a 24-70 f/2 OS Art around September this year. Seen it from a few sources, so I reckon it's a definite possibility.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

davidnholtjr wrote:
I had the first VC version of the lens and it was pretty good lens for what it was. Only thing I didn't like about it was the AF was very slow, other then that it was a nice walk around lens. Been waiting for Tamron to update it with the latest and great stuff. I'll pick one up for sure when it comes. I had the Nikon 28-300 and it was a great lens, but what a beast it was. This tammy looks nice and compact.

One of the other posters said these lenses are only good for taken pic's
...Show more
I'm 67 YO now and I remember when that one was called the "Roundup" when I was in my teens. It spins you in a circle and centrifugal force keeps you tight against the wall while the arm slowly raises the entire ring to vertical.

Several years ago I purchased the Tamron 24-135. I returned my Nikon 24-120 3 days later. Now I own several Tamron lenses for both FX and DX.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Is it me or is Tamron on a roll?

Andre Labonte wrote:

I guess part of the issue is, sure, they have some decent lenses. But virtually all the macro lenses across brands are good so I don't really tend to count those as a triumph if they don't offer something a little special. The 70-300mm is a decent lens, competing against a decent lens, and this lens is a consumer zoom.

I think being "on a roll" just tends to imply something like Sigma is doing - a bunch of absolutely top notch lenses competing against the best the industry offers. Tamron is merely treading water

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password