Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Speedlight suffering from battery corrosion

Chris Court
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Speedlight suffering from battery corrosion

I have the opportunity to buy an SB-900 that has had batteries leak inside, corroding the terminals at both ends quite badly. It looks brand new externally, but shows no sign of life even with fresh eneloops installed.

I'm thinking, perhaps wishfully, that some sandpaper on the terminals might be enough to get it up and running.

My questions: Has anyone had a speedlight with similar issues serviced? If so, at what cost?

Any thoughts as to what the as-is value of this would be?

C

Jun 20, 2014 at 05:44 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Speedlight suffering from battery corrosion

You'd need to know the type of battery that did this.

If it was an alkaline, or one of those cheap non-alkaline, as the treatment is different for each type. And, a little lengthy to post for both types.

That being said. Not many batteries leak enough to go deep into the boards. I've seen it, but rarely. I would attempt a *** fine *** steel wool homemade Q-Tip to spin off the tops of the connectors first, and power up. If this doesn't work, the chances are there IS damage internally and opening or repair is recommended.

If you knew which type of power did this. I can recommend a neutralizing agent for the interior.

Jun 20, 2014 at 06:17 AM
Chris Court
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Speedlight suffering from battery corrosion

Dang, I took the batteries out... but didn't note what type they were. Not Lithiums, and not rechargeables, and not a brand that I've seen before.

C

Jun 20, 2014 at 06:44 AM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Speedlight suffering from battery corrosion

Normally in this situation I call the manufacturer of the battery (especially if they were alkalines) and tell them the situation and how their batteries leaked in the unit. If they are a US-based company they will normally reimburse you for a portion of the cost of the unit. Normally if you just ask nicely they can be very helpful. I've done this a few times and although it takes forever for you to get a check it does indeed come after time.

If you also want to take the DIY route use a small amount of vinegar mixed with baking soda to eliminate the corrosion. Sometimes this works, most times it doesn't, but worth a shot. I would only do this if the battery manufacturer does not need the unit to be shipped to them for inspection for reimbursement. Hope this helps!

PS: I always use eneloops in everything that takes a AA-sized battery. I'm sure you already know this, but in case you didn't they're awesome. Even the Duracell Ion rechargeables from Sam's club are pretty good too.

Jun 20, 2014 at 06:55 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Speedlight suffering from battery corrosion

If it's only the battery contact pads that are bad, then clean them with a corrosion remover, then with alcohol, and add a VERY thin layer of contact paste. Put a pinhead-size dab of contact grease on a paper towel and rub the contacts with it. The grease will seal and protect against corrosion while improving contact.

Having a chemical corrosion remove on hand is generally not a bad thing, as it can be used to clean all sorts of contacts - SD cards, lenses, etc. I use Deoxit. Never EVER spray it onto a camera or lens though, ALWAYS put it on a pad and use the pad to clean, then clean off any residue with alcohol. (This may seem obvious, but it's better to point out the obvious than have some poor sap actually do it.)

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password