It has to be HYDROSTATIC for my needs.

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:02 PM
Chris S.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hydrostatic arms

mtbakerskier,

Limiting your scope to "hydrostatic" arms probably eliminates some very good articulating arms. Based on my--admittedly limited--searching, I haven't found any detailed or convincing information that "hydrostaric," as Manfrottos uses it, offers much more than a unique marketing niche.

One skier to another, I'll take the risk of mentioning a set of articulated arms that are not marketed as being "hydrostatic," but in my use, have proven to be excellent--easy to work with, and very, very solid. These are the Noga articulating arms. Noga has versions of these arms marketed toward photographers and film makers, and other versions marketed toward machinists for holding gauges. For my work, purchasing and modifying the versions configured for machinists has been the most cost-efficient route. Your mileage may vary.

Check out the Noga Big Boy--a nice, long articulating arm that is very solid: http://www.amazon.com/NOGA-Big-Boy-Magnetic-Base/dp/B002NEPEXO . I have a number of these that I've adapted for photographic work. In use, you loosen the locking knob, place the arm as you will, gently tighten the locking nut, and everything remains in place--exactly and precisely in place, without a bit of movement. A joy to use.

Sorry, I know this is not what you asked for. But it's a very useful tool, in my experience that might perhaps meet your needs for a longer articulating arm that works very well. BTW, some of my colleagues have tried--and been very disappointed in--similar looking articulating arms available for far less money. My guess is that an articulating arm doesn't have to be "hydrostatic" to be a solid performer--but it does have to be very well made.

Cheers,

--Chris

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hydrostatic arms

+1
NOGA arms are standard in the film industry for mounting almost everything camera related like onboard monitors.

If you are looking for something a fair bit bigger, a Manfrotto Variable Friction Arm (which is often used to mount small lights) might be what you are after.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:54 AM
HarveyRichards

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hydrostatic arms

Chris S. wrote:
Check out the Noga Big Boy--a nice, long articulating arm that is very solid: http://www.amazon.com/NOGA-Big-Boy-Magnetic-Base/dp/B002NEPEXO . I have a number of these that I've adapted for photographic work. In use, you loosen the locking knob, place the arm as you will, gently tighten the locking nut, and everything remains in place--exactly and precisely in place, without a bit of movement. A joy to use.

Cheers,

--Chris

What are you using to hold the Big Boy? I have one, and it's a pig.

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:59 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hydrostatic arms

HarveyRichards wrote:
What are you using to hold the Big Boy? I have one, and it's a pig.

This: http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72798 .

Jul 17, 2014 at 03:05 PM
HarveyRichards

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hydrostatic arms

Chris S. wrote:
This: http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72798 .

Thanks, the magnetic base makes sense. I have modified mine and a smaller Noga arm. My Big Boy is so heavy that it really needs a very secure mount.

Jul 17, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hydrostatic arms

Harvey,

I also routinely attach my Noga Big Boy arms to a 10-pound steel barbell plate via the magnetic base. This works very well, and is easy to move around.

As you say, the Noga Big Boy arms do require a secure mount. But in my work, they make up for this requirement by providing a lot of reach and holding power. I have often used a Noga Big Boy to hold a substantial monolight on what is effectively a long cantilever, with zero problems.

--Chris

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:50 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.