Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fine-tune Exposure on D4s?

James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fine-tune Exposure on D4s?

Hot afternoon here, so I played around with fine-tuning exposure on the D4s. First, the reason why: I noticed properly exposed (per camera) images consistently could be pushed another 1/2 stop. So, I played around with this and decided to dial in the 1/2 stop (menu b7). It pushed exposure to the right without issues both indoor and out. I've applied +3/6 to all three metering modes. So...

Has anyone else messed with b7? If so, has dialing in change created any unforeseen issue?

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:16 PM
311erin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fine-tune Exposure on D4s?

No, never. Not on any of my cameras. Why not change metering pattern or exposure comp instead? My fear would be I would forget I did it and then I would find myself in a pickle trying to figure out why my camera was messing up exposure.

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:13 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fine-tune Exposure on D4s?

This might be an OK idea if you were always shooting the same scene and found yourself in need of an adjustment. However, if you are shooting a variety of scenes, that 1/2 stop of compensation might cause highlight clipping if you're pointing your camera at a subject with a lot of black in it. Most of the time exposure comp is a far better choice.

Also, exposing to the right isn't always the best idea. On newer cameras, I've found it best just to expose properly. When you expose to the right, you can inadvertently clip color channels and end up with some pretty funky color when you pull the exposure back down.

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:21 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fine-tune Exposure on D4s?

I agree Steve. B7 is one function I had never messed with and was curious if anyone uses it. Like 311erin, I know I would forget it was changed and find myself in a pickle.

I would image that b7 adjustments would play havoc with flash photography.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.