New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lens fitment question

jester4176

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens fitment question

Recently, I have noticed that my Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens has become harder to twist on/off my bodies. This behavior is the same on my D7000 and my D40. My other lenses (55-200 and 18-55) both twist on/off effortlessly. Should I have the lens checked, or is there maintenance I should be doing on the lens like maybe applying a thin coat of special lubricant to the ring on the lens?

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens fitment question

NO lubricant. It's actually normal for some lenses to be tighter or looser when going on. However, any change such as you are experiencing is abnormal. It may be nothing, or it may be big trouble. If it bothers you, send the lens to Nikon for a checkup; and investigation of why it suddenly requires far more effort to install/remove.

Jun 19, 2014 at 01:14 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens fitment question

Agree^^^^

Have Nikon or someone check it out, or you might not be able to unmount it one day.

Jun 19, 2014 at 02:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens fitment question

and thats 3. the breach type mount is held in place by leaf springs

Jun 19, 2014 at 02:34 PM
jester4176

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens fitment question

Thanks everyone. Anyone know the typical turnaround time for items sent in to Nikon? Wondering if I should send before my trip next month or wait until after.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:50 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens fitment question

Hard telling, really. Probably a couple weeks, but if it needs parts not normally stocked, it could be far longer. I would send it in simply because it needs repair of some sort and you may reach the point where you cannot remove the lens. Then you would be without the lens AND the camera for a while.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.