Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2014 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

static808 wrote:
fixed it for ya

would those features be nice? of course. but the d700 is still a mighty fine camera as is.

im with ya on the d600 though. at its price point, that IQ is ridiculous. but i cant go backwards in ergos and AF systems after having used the d700...

Exactly... the D600 is a step down from the D700 and the D800 doesn't 'perform'... it has great IQ, but it's a studio and landscape camera as far as I'm concerned... I know lots of people use them for other applications.... it's just not the camera I would choose...

Do you think Nikons thinking is that they made the D700 too damn good for what it is, and that it was cutting in to D3/D3s/D4 sales? And so want to protect that market by not offering as much performance in a smaller package? I'm pretty sure that MOST people who are D3/D4 shooters would stick with a D3/D4/D5 etc style body for the same reasons we D700 fans don't want to go to a D600... it feels like a step down. You get used to a certain feel and don't want to go to something that doesn't equal or match that same feel that you've become accustomed to...

Jun 20, 2014 at 06:16 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
Exactly... the D600 is a step down from the D700 and the D800 doesn't 'perform'... it has great IQ, but it's a studio and landscape camera as far as I'm concerned... I know lots of people use them for other applications.... it's just not the camera I would choose...

Do you think Nikons thinking is that they made the D700 too damn good for what it is, and that it was cutting in to D3/D3s/D4 sales? And so want to protect that market by not offering as much performance in a smaller package? I'm pretty sure that MOST people who
...Show more

Same deal with the D300 ...

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:15 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

After shooting with a dual d4 setup...no way Jose

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:02 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

rondphoto wrote:

the thing is... where does that leave us D700 users?

D600 & D800 are not on par... Df has the right sensor, but not the right performance...

really the only direction to look is at the D3s/D4/D4s and that's just not something most of us are wanting to go for... we like the option of grip or no grip... not to mention I can't afford $6500 for a D4s. $2995, yes, I could manage.... but over twice that. no.

Even used a D4s is upwards of $5500...

So I DO think there is a slot in the line-up for a 16-20mpx High Frame rate, high level AF camera with a grip option...

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:23 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:

I was in the same boat. I was shooting multiple D700 bodies for all my work. I was looking at the Df and the D610 and the D800. I know there's no perfect camera, but everything that I needed was in the D4. I bought one...then eventually another, even after considering a Df, D610 and D800 as a second body to the D4.

After drinking the Kool-Aid I don't want to go back to the D700 or anything like it. The price difference is well worth it....especially with where the market is right now on lightly used D4 bodies.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

rondphoto wrote:

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:

D600 & D800 are not on par... Df has the right sensor, but not the right performance...

really the only direction to look is at the D3s/D4/D4s and that's just not something most of us are wanting to go for... we like the option of grip or no grip... not to mention I can't afford $6500 for a D4s. $2995, yes, I could manage.... but over twice that. no.

Even used a D4s is upwards of $5500...

So I DO think there is a slot in the line-up for a 16-20mpx High Frame
...Show more

Yes, but the MP/sec. will always be limited by the processor(s). At some point a large body with a large battery is needed to provide sufficient power and heat dissipation.

EBH

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM
momo_nyc

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

johnctharp wrote:
Sounds like Fuji has some options for you (when they get their hands on the 24MP Exmor).

Yes. I've been looking at the xt1. With 24mp it might be my solution. I'd have to see image quality first. See what they do to the body. But I'm wanting smaller so shooting while walking around in cities, shooting in bars, cafes, stores, doesn't attract so much attention. A much quieter shutter sound for the same reason. Lighter because it helps when I want my camera with me all day.

Two things that would help. Image quality on par with a full frame sensor. I do like the overall image quality off the d700 sensor. I do like to shoot in difficult light situations. Bigger pixels off a full frame sensor help. And maybe some progress in raw developer's with fuji's raw files. I do like shooting, prefer shooting raw. I still see occasional weird behavior in some fuji processed raw files.

Honest. I don't see why nikon won't give us something along the lines of the xt1?

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

I'd wait 6 months and buy it during the first round of sales or rebates. I would prefer the D600 24mp sensor (still gives 10mp in DX crop mode), but I'd also buy with the D4s/Df 16mp sensor.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:25 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:

What do the D700 users do? You do like most of D700 users have done and you get a D800 or a D600 or both like me... I loved my D700 to death, but the D800 fits the bill and addresses all the areas where I thought the D700 was getting long in the tooth at.

How can you say the D600 or D800 not on par with the D700? The better it in every way but a couple of FPS...

Jim

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:09 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

Hey guys

I didn't want to turn this into a debate whether or not the D600 or D800 is better than the D700.

Having used both D600/D800 personally, there are great features from all the cameras. There's absolutely no doubting that.

However, the 36 MP camera does not fit my shooting style, and the D600 is certainly not a D700/D800 in ergonomics, fps (with grip) or other features such as max shutter, flash sync, AF. A few major feature it's impossible for me to go down from.

The Df camera just isn't ergonomically designed for 70-200 f2.8 lenses.

There is a magnificent sensor in the D4S (and more) that I would have like to have seen used in 1 more camera.

Unfortunately, going from the poll, there are not enough users who would buy this camera now as they've purchased the D600/D800/Df, and probably how Nikon is also now thinking.

What do the D700 users do... get one of the above or go all out for an expensive D4S... which not everyone wants such a large camera.

Or keep using the great D700 until something fits the bill later

EdIt: Just to add, Agreed... there are many features and upgrades in the D800 that are improvements, as we would of course expect, over a 2008 camera. More reasons I want to see the D4S sensor in a D800.

Edited on Jun 23, 2014 at 09:09 AM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:37 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

brett maxwell wrote:
I'd wait 6 months and buy it during the first round of sales or rebates. I would prefer the D600 24mp sensor (still gives 10mp in DX crop mode), but I'd also buy with the D4s/Df 16mp sensor.

Brett

They would be like knowing someone you like likes you back but waiting 6 months for a kiss.... torturess.

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:48 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

Speaking only for a new purchase... Waiting for the unknown that may never come is silly IMO. For example, the D800e never really went down very much, only a couple hundred. And now it's back to the original list price. They obviously don't have to discount these - sales are still strong. So you will wait a year to save $200 ? That's a lot of time lost. And, I bet the current camera you own depreciates more than that over the year. So you aren't saving anything.

Jun 23, 2014 at 09:53 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

The endless debate...

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

CanadaMark wrote:
I would rather see the specs you listed with the 24MP D600 sensor, then I would be on board.

In fact the specs you listed only with 24MP are exactly what I have been posting as my wish list for a long time now haha

6+ FPS / 8 with grip
24MP Sensor from D600
D800 body, features, etc.
D4S Af.

Sell for $2999 and own the market.

Then we would truly have a "do it all" camera to satisfy the majority of FF shooters, which is likely why Nikon hasn't made this. It would cannibalize D4S sales in the same way the D700 cannibalized
...Show more

That sounds better to me. (and I find the D600 to be a net improvement on the D700, too)

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
jbonzo1
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

CanadaMark wrote:
I would rather see the specs you listed with the 24MP D600 sensor, then I would be on board.

In fact the specs you listed only with 24MP are exactly what I have been posting as my wish list for a long time now haha

6+ FPS / 8 with grip
24MP Sensor from D600
D800 body, features, etc.
D4S Af.

Sell for $2999 and own the market.

Then we would truly have a "do it all" camera to satisfy the majority of FF shooters, which is likely why Nikon hasn't made this. It would cannibalize D4S sales in the same way the D700 cannibalized
...Show more

Well said.
That camera would be all I would need.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

jbonzo1 wrote:
Well said.
That camera would be all I would need.

I know this is bad form for this forum, but, Canon has made your camera- they call it the 5D III .

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:53 PM
jbonzo1
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

johnctharp wrote:
I know this is bad form for this forum, but, Canon has made your camera- they call it the 5D III .

As a twenty five year newspaper shooter, I used Nikon the first ten years then Canon for the last fifteen, when we went to Digital. The paper bought the Canon bodies, I sold my Nikon glass and bought Canon.
When I retired, I bought a D200 to fool around with as I had a few Nikkors left. I also had a 5D Mk II for my Canon L glass. The autofocus on the 5D II was only good for static subjects, for anything that moved, the focus was not good. The D200 was terrific, superb AF and at base ISO the image quality was great. A friend had a 5D III and I was not impressed with the AF compared to a D3 I borrowed. I also tried a 1DS mk IV and the AF was terrible.
I sold my Canon glass, in most cases for what I paid for it, bought a D3 and some new Nikkors and have been very happy. I also like the pro bodies with the built-in grip.

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:58 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

johnctharp wrote:

They make one with an F-mount?

Jun 24, 2014 at 02:31 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

johnctharp wrote:

I know you're being sarcastic (I hope!) there's no way I would move to canon... I've used canon cameras and just don't like the feel of them compared to Nikons, and I also have my old manual SLR's (FE & FM2) and love that I can use the same lenses on them as well as my D700's and F5...

and does the 5D mkIII REALLY have the same performance as the D700 save for pixel count?

Jun 24, 2014 at 02:36 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · WOULD you buy a 16MP FX real 'D700' upgrade?

johnctharp wrote:

There isn't a very significant difference between a 5DM3 and a D610. If the 5DM3 is someone's dream camera, the D610 should fit the bill unless you have very specific needs (in fact it's better in some very key areas). Slight edge to the AF on the 5DM3 (I honestly couldn't tell a difference when I tried both under any normal circumstances), better video, and 1/8000 shutter. Beyond that there is very little differentiating them, and some much more important advantages to the D610 (much better sensor, ~$1300 less, spot metering at any focus point, crop mode, etc.) Build quality is essentially the same (metal frame with alloy pieces, both bodies have the lens mount screwed into plastic and are fully weather sealed). I shot with one for a while and went back to my D600. The ergonomic debate is entirely subjective, but I do prefer larger cameras regardless (5D3/D800 sized). No way in hell is that camera worth $3500 (to me) when the D610 is $2000. Apart from the megapixels, the 5DM3 has barely caught up to the 7-year-old D700.

That is why the D810 has me so excited. You get a true pro build (1pc magnesium w/lens mount attached to metal), D4S AF (hopefully), the best sensor out there, and at least 5 FPS. You also get an amazing 15MP DX camera when used in crop mode, or a 6+ FPS 25MP camera in 1.2 crop. Jury is still out on the FPS specs though, but if they can squeeze 5-6 out of it, I think that will please a lot of people. If you get all that for $3500-$3700 I fell like it will be a steal, considering the 5DM3 sold like hotcakes at $3500 for less camera. I realize not everyone wants 36MP though, so I would like to see a "pro" body build around the 24MP sensor as well with a little more speed, but I'm not holding my breath on that one - the D810 will have to do .

Jun 24, 2014 at 02:44 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.