New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Kayti

John Webb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kayti

Kayti laying down on the top of a white baby grand piano, natural light. D200 and the old 35-70 2.8 D.

Edited on Jun 19, 2014 at 02:30 PM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:58 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kayti

Very nice image.

Nice composition, exposure and lighting.

Only nit I would suggest is maybe softening the image or doing some cloning on the skin pores on her nose and cheeks around the nose.

Post some more from the session if you have time.

TFS.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kayti

If she's laying down on top of a white baby grand piano, isn't that cool? But... we don't see her laying down on top of a white baby grand piano. We don't even see a piano. If you have this really cool piano, why not make it part of the shot? Step back, go wide. Otherwise, this is just a head shot of a girl on top of a white baby grand piano.

Also, check your skin processing as film_4ever noted.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kayti

I just picked up my D200, gave it a kiss, said "You're never leaving, darling" !

Ed

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kayti

I like it, very nice. Two things bother me, the first is the pores. They're so pronounced. The second is the way the highlight on her nose was burned. It doesn't blend in with the rest of the highlights on the nose.

Jun 19, 2014 at 01:36 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kayti

If you are shooting in JPG look at the amount of in camera sharpening you have set. Reduce it to none and do a very slight amount later if needed. If you are sharpening in post then reduce it. You want in focus, not over sharp. Big difference. People don't need to every detail in portraits. In focus and but slightly soft will be more attractive. Just watch what skin looks like using the unsharp mask tool. You can see it move from smooth to too detailed as an example. Other than that it is a nice photo.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:09 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kayti

Thank you,

Image shot in raw, no unsharp used, most of the look reflects application of frequency separation. Only sharpening applied was via action during image resizing. Does not look oversharpened in Photoshop nor on other sites, image contrast on FM looks like it may have been bumped up a tad.

No burning of the highlight on the nose added, but I did not blend as aggresively the highlight with the with the diffused area via gaussian blur on the low frequency layer.

Will keep your points in mind in future processing, but want to make sure that I don't go too soft and plastic.

Regards

Jun 19, 2014 at 08:03 PM
ange
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kayti

Really good image. Well done. Great looking model too. One thing you can do to smooth the pores without losing any detail or getting that plastic look is to use the clone tool set on darken and lighten accordingly. It's some detailed work, but it doesn't take that long. High end fashion retouchers work like that at the pixel level anyway.

Andy

Jun 19, 2014 at 08:33 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.