New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

erik bauer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

Hey Folks-
My 50D has recently decided to give me the dreaded "Error 30" warning. I bought it new many moons ago and really not sure of the number of actuations on the shutter. My research tells me that to have it fixed will cost me about $250. Which brings up several questions. On an older, well used body, are there any other problems that I might be in for in the near future? And, given the age of the body, would money be better spent on a newer body with a few more bells and whistles? Up to this point, the 50D has been a great body, though video capability would be nice. In your [collective] experiences, what is your take on this? Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:56 AM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

I had a 50D which had a stubborn shutter after just 132,000 clicks. With CPS discount it cost me $167.00. It is now being used as a backup body dedicated to fisheye/wide angle duty.

It comes in handy as loaner too, without having to worry about damaging a more expensive piece of equipment.

I figured I could not buy a clean, used body for that kind of money.

Maybe you can send it for a quote to see what it would really cost to fix

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:04 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

I am in the same boat. Got a low milage 50d in the B&S and 6 months later err30 pops up about 1 out of 40 shots no matter what lens. The rule of thumb is not to exceed 50% the cost of a good one in repair costs. My new shutter this year on a MKIV with Gold discount was $357.
For a little over $200 my friend just got a 1D classic and half a million clicks is not uncommon with them.

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Part-For-Canon-SLR-Camera-30D-shutter-Unit-/330999459162?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item4d111aed5a

$50 plus your labor to install it.

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:42 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

Argh, is this an epidemic or what?

My 50D recently also started to give Error 30. In fact I just posted a message on dpreview a few days ago. It was suggested that it could be a loose cable.

It now happens every time I go out to shoot .. maybe once every 30 shots or so. It already caused me to miss some shots, and my worst fear is that one day it may not be recoverable (now if I turn the camera off and after a while turn it back on, it becomes "normal" again).

My camera only has 51,000 clicks or so; still relatively young I would think.

I am not sure what to do at this point. I am not willing to spend more than $100 to fix it, as the used bodies are not worth much more than that.

Jun 20, 2014 at 07:37 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

Now I really need the 7D II to be released! But I digress ...

Jun 20, 2014 at 07:43 AM
erik bauer

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 50D: Error 30 ?'s

Thanks to all who chimed in regarding this, obviously, common predicament. My 50D is now shutting down after about a dozen shots. Managed to make it through my daughter's graduation, but have several other family events coming up. So, really not too psyched about sending it out for any appreciable downtime. Guess it all comes down to whether I feel that doing the fix would overcome the inconvenience of rehabilitating a now, outdated body. There are some tempting options out there.....

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.