New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Infrared Photo Thread

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Infrared Photo Thread

I'm not sure if this has been tried before, but lets see you're infrared shots please.

I don't care if it's old school IR film, IR converted digital camera or a regular camera with IR filters.
Black and white, false colour etc all welcome.

I'll start with 2 from Fuji X-A1 + 14mm + Hoya R72

The first has had the red/blue colour swap, the second left as is because I like the warm colour on the gravestone.

Jun 19, 2014 at 06:20 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Infrared Photo Thread

No one has any infrared shots to share ??

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Aloicious
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Infrared Photo Thread

I wish I did, but I like the ones you've shared, is that a castle in the background of #1?

Jun 21, 2014 at 01:55 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Infrared Photo Thread

Great shots. No I don't have anything to share
Harsha

Jun 21, 2014 at 05:49 AM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Infrared Photo Thread

I have many IR images ... here's a few with a 665nm converted Nikon.

For Infrared addicts, there is a nice Infrared Photography forum here ...

Worldwide Infrared Photography Community

The Watchman

The Racetrack

Utah Dunefield

The Hatchling

Roadside Nevada

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Infrared Photo Thread

Nice shots John

Dabbled many years ago with kodak high speed film.
Was somewhwt more time consuming then these digital days!

In no1 the fencing and castle distract esp the fence brings nothing to the scene.
Church yard is cool tho

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Infrared Photo Thread

I recently had my old 5D converted to Super Color IR by Lifepixel here is one of my first test shots captured at a local reservation

Beaver Brook Falls

Jun 21, 2014 at 04:24 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Infrared Photo Thread

I apologize in advance if not the appropriate place to ask a question - but clearly with so many who are proficient at IR I thought perhaps a quick query would be OK.

I have a T2i with the stock low pass filter replaced by clear glass that I primarily use to shoot astrophotography. But recently I got a very inexpensive Polaroid IR720 filter to play with some IR shooting. So far, even when focusing with the live view I seem to end up with somewhat mushy looking images. I was assuming the filter would take care of blocking the visible light that potentially focuses at a different distance than the IR, and that using the live view focusing would avoid any issues with the focus sensor. But compared to the crisp images seen here I am not getting that type of result.

So is my problem primarily due to technique, or a cheap filter, or some combo of the 2?

ML

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Paul Chappell

[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Infrared Photo Thread

Interesting
All the Best

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:08 AM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Infrared Photo Thread

IR photo taken with internal 720nm-IR converted Nikon camera.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM
therefanguy

[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Infrared Photo Thread

Love the tombstone one! Wish I had some to share. I've messed around with shots using night vision for fun, but not IR.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Infrared Photo Thread

another_mikey wrote:
I apologize in advance if not the appropriate place to ask a question - but clearly with so many who are proficient at IR I thought perhaps a quick query would be OK.

I have a T2i with the stock low pass filter replaced by clear glass that I primarily use to shoot astrophotography. But recently I got a very inexpensive Polaroid IR720 filter to play with some IR shooting. So far, even when focusing with the live view I seem to end up with somewhat mushy looking images. I was assuming the filter would take care of blocking the visible
...Show more

My guess is mostly the filter - the Polaroid is very cheap, so at that low price (compared to say a B+W) the optical quality can't be too good. Live view is the best way to focus with that full spectrum conversion you have.

Jun 26, 2014 at 04:44 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Infrared Photo Thread

I love the B&W ones, but the color ones mostly make me feel like I'm having an acid flashback.

jk...

Dan

Jun 26, 2014 at 05:55 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Infrared Photo Thread

Excellent work.
Allan

Jun 26, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Infrared Photo Thread

Here are a few IR images.

I Stand Alone

Edge of Life

The Visitor

El Rancho Road

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM
AmdAntonio

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Infrared Photo Thread

Utah Dunefield very stunning

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Infrared Photo Thread

Another-mikey, a lot of us use the Hoya R72 for IR work. After we get frustrated by focusing on something at f8, then putting the filter on, and then taking a 30 second exposure, we have an old digital converted to IR. It is much easier with an IR modded camera. You get much faster exposures, handheld. Youcan focus easily because you can see through the VF.

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Infrared Photo Thread

IR isn't just a summer pursuit. IR took a blah win\ter sky and made it a bit more dramatic.

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Infrared Photo Thread

runamuck,

Thanks for the feedback. Ya, I guess I am now assuming my cheap filter isn't up to the task. I will have to get a better one.

The camera is modified though as the normal Canon filter has been replaced by clear glass (for astro shooting) so I can easily se an image on live view and even an image somewhat through the viewfinder with the Polaroid version of the IR filter installed. So I am going to try a better filter and see where that gets me.

Best Regards,

ML

runamuck wrote:
Another-mikey, a lot of us use the Hoya R72 for IR work. After we get frustrated by focusing on something at f8, then putting the filter on, and then taking a 30 second exposure, we have an old digital converted to IR. It is much easier with an IR modded camera. You get much faster exposures, handheld. Youcan focus easily because you can see through the VF.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Infrared Photo Thread

Thanks for putting some work in this thread, I've been ill and not looked at it for a while.

Klaus, fantastic images.

As some have said, yes IR is very seasonal if you want the foliage on the trees to turn white.

Jun 28, 2014 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.