Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Will Nikon finally release a true D700 upgrade?
Yes
No

D700 upgrade for Photokina?

nikt
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Do you think Nikon will release a 'D700 upgrade' for Photokina this year?

By this I mean a 16MP FX camera in the D700/D800 type body.

Surely it must be time to expand that sensor to other markets now (which they should have done a few years ago in my opinion.

(Sorry , no fence sitting on this one)

Jun 19, 2014 at 06:00 AM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #2 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

sadly, as much as I'd love to see a 16 mpx version of a D700.... 5 fps boostable to 8fps w/ D4 autofocus... I don't think it will happen. I think Nikon is committed to keeping that kind of performance in the 'pro body' line up... I don't know why though, because the D3/D700 were grand slams for Nikon.... something I suspect they would welcome right now. It seems like they want to keep the single grip bodies limited to the 39 point AF system and generally less of a competitive camera...

Ironically... the Df may be the closest thing we see... short of the increased frame rate. I doubt we'll see another sub 20mpx camera from Nikon.

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:56 AM
Jason_Brook
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

I honestly don't understand why they don't. D4 sensor in a D800 body would probably sell very well.

I don't think they will, which is why I bought a DF.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #4 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Wish they would, but I don't think they will, which is why I just bought a D3s.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #5 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

The df is the answer.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM
2of9
• •
p.1 #6 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Was going to say, the Df would be the one. I love my D700 but if my D700 had the same performance as a D4, that would be awesome.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

I guess I just found it really difficult to do video on the Df

Please shock us Nikon

Jun 19, 2014 at 01:35 PM
Daniel Bliss

p.1 #8 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

I don't really see it happening given what seems to be going on with the embedded CPU technology that Nikon has access to. That's probably a bit esoteric, so I'll explain; Nikon is rolling out much faster sensor readout and a much more powerful ASIC across its line. That means big upgrades as follows

First, autofocus. The work of the three processors a Canon 1DX needs to run itself and its autofocus can now be done with a single chip. The Nikon D4, which tried to make do with one previous generation processor, betrayed itself with things like weaker AF performance compared to the 1DX while the D4s, which has the new chip, now vaults ahead.

Second, lower noise, especially on JPEG. A full stop advantage and no more high ISO color shift. This also means that it becomes much more realistic to depend on JPEG and not have to resort to batch-processing raw files if you want a lower resolution than the standard.

Third, data throughput, increased substantially, so that it's now realistic to run a 36 megapixel camera at high speed. For example I would expect at least six FPS from the speculated on D810, reportedly due to launch in a week, and if it isn't more than that it will be because Nikon didn't upgrade it mechanically, not because they're running into the readout speed bottleneck they have now with the D800.

Big picture is, one body can do it all, resolution and speed in the same package. That really narrows the scope for a D700-specific replacement. We've already seen the D4s; it looks like there's a lock on what the D800 replacement is going to be; there's speculation about a new high-end DX body, which presumably could manage 8 FPS at 24MP in its sleep, and then the changes will continue to trickle down across the rest of the line. Actually the D5300 already has the new tech; it just barely taps it.

Jun 19, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

No, the Df already fills that spot from Nikon's perspective ... I don't agree with it, but I'm sure that is how they are thinking.

Jun 19, 2014 at 02:48 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Whilst I agree with all the points Daniel, there becomes a problem when you're sales are down and people who would have purchased more equipment are not because you've changed your strategies / philosophies.

Nikon nailed it with the D3 and D700 (include the D300 in this). Not only did they surprise everyone, they had people jumping from other brands because of it. Since then we've had pretty severe economic conditions which stalled proceedings somewhat. Nikon revenue and sales have fallen.

Given that, there are many pro's and enthusiasts who are clamoring for a 16MP FX 'D800'.

This type of camera has absolute minimal development costs (as far as a new product goes), so this is a head scratcher to me.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #11 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

nikt wrote:
Whilst I agree with all the points Daniel, there becomes a problem when you're sales are down and people who would have purchased more equipment are not because you've changed your strategies / philosophies.

Nikon nailed it with the D3 and D700 (include the D300 in this). Not only did they surprise everyone, they had people jumping from other brands because of it. Since then we've had pretty severe economic conditions which stalled proceedings somewhat. Nikon revenue and sales have fallen.

Given that, there are many pro's and enthusiasts who are clamoring for a 16MP FX 'D800'.

This type of camera has
...Show more

Believe me, I'd love to see it... as it stands, I won't be replacing my D700's with a D800/810 simply because I have no need for it... as much as I love the performance of my D700 in terms of frame rate and auto focus, if I had to choose a replacement, it would be the Df or barring that a D3s.... which has the same sensor as the D700... I just can't afford a D4s, let alone two of them.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:39 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

The thing is you're not alone.

I have many of my previous customers who bought the d3 and d700 as a combo with fries. They have only upgraded the d3 as they don't want a 2 D4s to lug around and the alternatives aren't quite right for them.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:44 PM
louel512

p.1 #13 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Yea I'm hoping for something like that too. Something with not as much megapixels as the D800, but not as small and compact as the D600.

Jun 21, 2014 at 05:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Not this round. Nikon already has two FX bodies with a 16MP sensor.

EBH

Jun 21, 2014 at 06:17 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #15 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

I think we all have a tendency to project our personal needs on to what Nikon should make.
From a marketing perspective, Nikon already has too many models. I would expect them to try and consolidate their offerings, rather make new models for niche markets. IMO they need to go for a broader appeal with fewer models by expanding the feature sets of each their offerings.I don't think we will ever see another 16meg sensor from Nikon, but we will see new technologies like sraw that will attempt to deal with particular concerns like file size.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #16 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Well who would of thought Sony would come out with a 12 megapixel A7. Nikon loves using some Sony sensors too.

A new 12 megapixel low light monster with 4k video in a D700 type body sounds pretty good.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:46 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Even my 5 year old laptop handles D800 files very well. I just don't see that as a problem.

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:05 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #18 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

nikt wrote:

This type of camera has
...Show more

I agree with you, Nik, especially the part about nailing it with the d3/d300 generation. But, Nikon has inexplicably moved away from that winning combo, so I voted no. I don't think that Nikon is in the game now, when it comes to action/sports/wildlife shooters that aren't pros or guys with deep pockets. The d300/d700 combo was the amateur sports/action shooter's dream combo. I'd love to see another combo like it, but I am no longer hopeful. As a result, I've been cutting back on a lot of my shoots.

Kerry

Edited on Jun 24, 2014 at 01:31 AM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:31 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #19 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

Nathan Padgett wrote:
A new 12 megapixel low light monster with 4k video in a D700 type body sounds pretty good.

But then Nikon isn't too big into video, either- unlike the A7S that can used stabilized Canon glass (their WA prime set is amazing, unlike Nikon's recent efforts) and/or Canon T/S and/or Canon AF f/1.2 glass, Nikon really doesn't have a whole lot to offer outside of being Nikon. Anyone that's wanted to do video seriously already has an alt kit, so their market for such a thing would be truly small.

Unless, of course, they push the frame-rate up into the 8FPS+ region with D4S AF- then even I'd be interested .

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:31 AM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #20 · D700 upgrade for Photokina?

That's the thing.... Nikon had canon on the ropes with the D3/D700... it's a shame they didn't hold that momentum... people were dumping canon left right and center!

Jun 24, 2014 at 04:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password