Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Clone battery grip for D800

gephotonyc

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clone battery grip for D800

I picked up a used D800 with a knockoff battery grip. Amazingly similar to a real one. I have been having some strange issues with the camera. I can't go into live view without freezing the camera, unless a battery is in the camera body. Other strange things have been happening. I had the firm ware updated to the latest version by Nikon at the Belmont. Anyone else having the same problems?

Jun 19, 2014 at 02:43 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clone battery grip for D800

Issues with 3rd party grips have been well-documented in forums for years. Some people have good luck with them...and others not so much.

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:02 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clone battery grip for D800

The only grip that ever broke on me was the high-price Nikon grip. I guess I've been blessed--all my el cheapo grips have worked well.

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:44 AM
PotchieR

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clone battery grip for D800

It's a hit or miss with 3rd party battery grips. I never had any problems when I used them for my D90, D7000 and D300. I'm now using an OEM battery grip for my D800E and I know a 3rd party grip will work just as good.

Edited on Jun 19, 2014 at 07:54 AM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2014 at 06:31 AM
cambyses
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clone battery grip for D800

We had a Vello grip for our D7000 and were pretty happy with it. But for our D800E, we had originally purchased a Promaster grip and only after a few days of use, we started occasionally having a similar issue to what this guy is showing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4GBaVlpBD0
And I am guessing he was using a 3rd party grip too.

The issue never seemed to occur when we did not use the grip. So we just returned Promaster and got the OEM MB-D12 instead. Have been using it ever since and never ever had the problem again.

So, yes, as others have indicated, I think buying a 3rd party grip, particularly for D800/E would be hit or miss.

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clone battery grip for D800

I have always used Nikons grips, NEVER a problem.... Never.... With my recent D800E, it was a bundle and it came with a Vello grip... the D800E after shooting for a little bit will act weird, won't access the internal battery on the D800E and a few other things. If I swap it out with the Nikon battery grip from my D800 the D800E runs perfectly with no issues. I stopped using the Vello grip, I suppose I should sell it because there seems to be tons of people here on FM that love those knock-off grips... but me... no thank you. While yes, the Nikon grip is a lot more expensive, it's worth it as it works flawlessly...

Jim

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Clone battery grip for D800

I've had three knock-off grips for various bodies. One of them actually worked. My Nikon grips have never given one issue. Fit and finish are night and day. Spend the coin and buy once cry once.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Clone battery grip for D800

I've never understood the concept of paying a premium for a body then saving a buck on third party accessories that may or may not work as advertised - or worse, damage the brand item.

Better to buy a Nikon grip and attach it to a third party D4 knock-off and hope for the best.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Clone battery grip for D800

Never understood why some pay $3K for a body then go cheap on the grip. WAY too many horror stories involving non OEM grips to make me ever consider one. Yes, Nikon grossly overcharges for them BUT, I never heard of theirs damaging a camera body. Same issue with non OEM batteries.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Clone battery grip for D800

I've used 3rd party accessories all the time with no issues at all. As for the logic of paying premium for a body and cheap out on accessories, I'd have to disagree with you guys. I would pay premium when I see a difference in performance and only if I am guaranteed that the OEM would not fail on me, and that's not the case since performance is identical and I've had OEM equipment fail on me & others before. For example, I bought my D800 for $1900 and the Nikon accessories I need are priced as follows:

- MB-D12 - $350
- Nikon MC-36A - $160
- 2 x EN-EL15 - $100
- 2 x SB900 - $800

This is almost as much as I paid for the body and I'd rather invest in a lens or even better travel with the price difference Now if I were a professional and this was my source of income then maybe it would be a different scenario and I would agree with you.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password