New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Another "Next Lens" Question

mbarretts20

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another "Next Lens" Question

Hi Folks,

Here is another- help me find my next lens post. I have read quite a bit about all the likely lenses, but would appreciate seeing the group’s ideas. I am currently getting a number of requests for portrait work of families, kids, as well as houses and gardens (higher end real estate).

I currently shoot with a 7d, and have a 20d and 30d for second bodies.

For lenses- my quiver, as my Hollywood friends call it—all canon

Zooms
10-22mm f3.5 – 4.5
70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM

Primes
50 1.8
100 Macro 2.8 (not the L)

I don’t feel like an 85 is needed, considering the 50 and 100 (ideas?) I was thinking the next lens would be the 24-70 f2.8, series 1, and eying used prices. And potentially after that, the 200 2.8- more for fun.

Or should I just invest in a second body?

Thanks for your ideas-

Mike

Jun 18, 2014 at 07:39 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another "Next Lens" Question

You might consider the new Sigma 18-35 f1.8.
Considered by many to be the best crop lens.
Also the new Sigma 50 f1.4 might be the perfect mate for "portrait" working distance.
Some don't like the bokeh.

If I was considering "going full frame", I'd also include new lenses.
Canon 6D + Sigma 35 f1.4 + Canon 70-200 f2.8

Jun 18, 2014 at 07:54 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another "Next Lens" Question

You could think about a 6D and used 24mm f3.5 TS-E Mk1. Initially a bit spendy perhaps, but if you are getting work...

Jun 18, 2014 at 07:56 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another "Next Lens" Question

Paul Mo wrote:
You could think about a 6D and used 24mm f3.5 TS-E Mk1. Initially a bit spendy perhaps, but if you are getting work...

Paul's on point, if it's the real estate business that's paying; otherwise, you might want to invest in your lighting, which is more crucial than anything else for portrait work. Good lighting and your phone can make portraits that sell.

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:05 PM
mbarretts20

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another "Next Lens" Question

Thanks Surf Monkey and Paul-
SM: I will certainly check out the Sigma- that's a new lens to me. I have traditionally stayed with Canon, but certainly something I'll have to read up on.

Paul- yes, these would be fully paid for by the habit--i mean hobby. I've been looking at the 6d today- it seems to be a good price v. features ratio compared to the 5d's. I actually didn't know it was FF; i was thinking it was more of an in-between 5d and 7d.

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:10 PM
mbarretts20

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another "Next Lens" Question

Thanks John - I wondered when someone would bring up lighting...this is another avenue, and something I am sorely lacking.

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:11 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another "Next Lens" Question

Well, kind of a hard question not knowing how or what type of lens you like to shoot. Zoom, vs prime as you have both. Do you use a focal range the most, but wish it was sharper? Do you find your self needing a focal range? Do you need a faster lens for indoor portrait work?

You can either cover all focal lengths, or focus on the lengths you use, and upgrade to a sharper lens at those areas; for example.

Can you share more around what typical challenges you face with your current gear today?

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:23 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another "Next Lens" Question

johnctharp wrote:
Paul's on point,

Now I am embarrassed. Another point is that if you are getting paid work then really try to nail it - work really hard at making beautiful images as your first few paid jobs can lead to a lot of other work. Don't screw up!

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM
drzhao

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another "Next Lens" Question

This is what I would do:

Keep the 7d, sell 20d and 30d and get something like a t2i.
Keep 10-22mm, sell 70-300 and buy a 70-200mm L f/4
Keep 100 Macro (if you do macro. If not, sell it since the 70-200 will do)
Keep 50 (if you like bokeh. Sell it if you don't need low light or bokeh)
Buy a 50mm f/2.5 (awesome for real estate, sharp portraits, etc)
Spend the rest on good lighting + nice tripod (if you don't already have one).
If you need low light (I doubt it by your description), get the 6d.

I would stay away from the 24-70mm L 2.8 Mark I —it's color is good, but sharpness isn't great. But that's not that important. I just don't use it very often since it's heavy and not sharp. But feel free to try it yourself.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM
mbarretts20

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another "Next Lens" Question

Wow, thank you everyone- much food for thought.

I have felt unbelievably lucky that I have always found paid work when I look for it-but I have never planned to make money on this. While I know this is not appreciated by some other photographers, but my approach is that I shoot a lot for free to gain experience. Through that, I've had publications with major photo-journalism magazines, non-profits, galleries, and corporate work. (I also shoot for a lot of bars and restaurants- they make their signature dish, i shoot it, then i get to eat it- perfect for me).

Because of this range, I truly have found appreciation for both zooms and primes. And SurfMonkey and Drzhao have mentioned totally new lenses for me to consider. Roger- I believe a zoom would be helpful here to allow for faster changes in dynamic settings.

My clients have never been pixel peepers- they are usually too busy, and that's why they rely on me for consistency and my eye to produce quality work. As Paul says- work hard to produce quality.

John's point is right to the bone- I am not strong in lighting- and I need focus there. (I do have an excellent tripod). It is easy in this game to think a new tool (or toy) will make me a better photographer. It won't. Putting the time into learning lighting will.

Roger- thoughts? I realize I didn't fully answer all your questions.

Thanks again everyone- this is a wonderful community of practice.

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:13 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another "Next Lens" Question

As mentioned - and you do also - look to lighting.
I shoot Real Estate for my company doing virtual tours - as well as doing all the marketing for my wife (a Realtor). I also shoot hotels - which is great for the same reasons you do restaurants!

When I was using crop the Sigma 10-20 was my go-to lens. I came awfully close to getting the Sigma 8-16, as that little bit is actually an awful lot when you're talking about the wide end of things. While I could get a powder room into frame, the 8-16 would look like you could roller skate in there!

But, I went to FF with the 6D, and have the 17-40 which is an absolutely fantastic lens. Way better than I thought it would be. Before I went FF I was positive when I did I'd be getting the Tokina 16-28, but I thought better of it when I found out about their repair center (or lack thereof). Anyway, I've been delighted with the 17-40, and f4 is fine as you know. I've never needed fast. I did however just order the 16-35 f4L IS, so this could be the first time I've ever sold any of my equipment! I just don't think I'll need the 17-40 (it looks brand new - because it almost is!).

Anyway, I'd highly recommend getting into lights. There's no way I could do without a couple of flashes at least. I started with Triggers - and still use them. Great for exteriors at dusk/sunset/evening when I can walk around, trigger the camera and paint the house with a flash. Composite in Photoshop - masterpiece! For interiors, having at least one flash off camera can light up those hallways and other rooms that look like caves otherwise. It's just a necessity to be able to control the interior light so you can bring the outdoors in as well.

I also picked up the Rokinon 14mm, and with the Adobe Lens profiler I can pretty much eliminate the distortion. Another lens I've considered is the Sigma 12-24 - which is mind-bending on FF. While not particularly sharp it does have decent distortion - and it's pretty neat to get an entire room into a single shot without being a fisheye.

http://www.icophos.com/junk/stratford-4432.jpg

http://www.icophos.com/junk/stratford-4657.jpg

http://www.icophos.com/junk/stratford-4456.jpg

The one just above I had a flash and umbrella down the hallway on the left - and triggered with Aputure Trigmaster Plus - 2 Yongnuo 565EX flashes. I've since gotten 600EX-RT's and the YN-E3-RT, but the triggers are still handy for activating the camera. I thought I had some better examples of lighting up other rooms, but I don't see any right off the bat - this should give you an idea though. Oddly (or perhaps not) I find the smaller homes and condos seem to the the ones that need extra lighting. I don't know if it's because they're just claustrophobic - but less windows, lower ceilings and fewer open spaces - but I make sure I bring along lightstands, umbrellas, softbox and tripod all the time now.

[edit] BTW, as much as I'd love a TS-E, I wouldn't get a lot of use out of it for what I do. I'm extremely limited by time, and for the virtual tours, I shoot several different angles per room (our tool is based on a floor plan). I'd run out of time or have to charge too much. Now, for the glamor shots (not virtual tours) no problem. But honestly, a little decent technique and I can literally shoot without having to adjust my verticals at all. I even impress myself. As you can see in the shots I've put up - it's not an issue. With outdoor shots if I'm really close to a house/building - I can fix it pretty easily in Photoshop. So, it's something I've survived just fine without. That doesn't mean I won't pick one up someday! The 17 (and even 24) lens itself (even if it didn't tilt) is remarkable.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.