New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

oiseau0001
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

Hi folks,

Is there a standout adapter for adapting Zeiss ZF.2 glass to the A7R? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

O0001

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:12 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

Well I did just that for my 135/2 APO ZF.2 and my A7R.

Started out with the Fotasy - it was fine, but I did not like hanging my Zeiss off of those 4 tiny screws that were not tightened down very well. Also wanted a tripod mount. It was however excellent for parallelism of the front and rear mounting flanges. Did not like the slit aluminum mount springs.

So I just got the Metabones with tripod foot. It's heavier, beefier, and it had 5 or 6 much larger screws that hold the front flange on. No problem with this baby every coming apart.

It was however less parallel than my cheap fotasy - I measured the distance from front to rear flange at the top/bottom/left/right and found a solid 0.0015 inch difference from top to bottom and a less then 0.0005 from left right. We'll see if I can see the difference with my 135/2. I may take the flange off and give it a cleaning in case there is something underneath it preventing it from being parallel.

As a reference - when I use my 135/2 Zeiss on my D800 I can clearly see that my mounting flange is not parallel to my sensor. When I used the fotasy on my A7R it appeared that the mount + adapter was very parallel to the sensor as I could not see any appreciable difference in sharpness across the frame wide open.

John

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:46 PM
oiseau0001
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

Very good information! I'm also looking at the Novoflex. It seems to be well regarded here. Given you're using the 135/2 which is 2lbs+, I am also interested in your experiences with the strength of the A7R's mounting flange. Any concerns so far? Are you particularly careful to always support the lens?

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:10 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

The Metabones adapters are usually a little on the sloppy side - the Novoflex adapters are much more precisely designed and finished.

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:17 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

My metabones fit tightly - no slop that I can feel.

I'm not careful with the A7R - if you look at the teardown that LensRentals did you will find that the flange is very well connected to the metal innards.

That being said, the reason I got the Metabones was for the tripod foot so that I could put the 135/2 on a tripod - would put the combo on a tripod using the body tripod mounting socket.

Jun 18, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

I'm using the Fotodiox Pro Nikon (G) to NEX and have to say it's a very precise snug fit that clicks into place with a very solid feel. No slop at all. So far so good .. seems to be very well made and it's about half the price of the Novoflex. No problem at all hanging a 135/2 DC, and now the Makro Planar 100/2, off it.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

molson wrote:
The Metabones adapters are usually a little on the sloppy side - the Novoflex adapters are much more precisely designed and finished.

+1 for Novoflex. I have both but still like Novoflex for the quality build

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM
taran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon -> Sony Adapter?

jhinkey wrote:
Started out with the Fotasy - it was fine, but I did not like hanging my Zeiss off of those 4 tiny screws that were not tightened down very well.

John

Just thought I would chime in here, since I bought about 6-7 of these from China since my first NEX. Including the Lens Turbo (for crop sensor NEX), and Lensbaby T/S.

Some of the cheaper ones have three screws...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-AI-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-NEX-3-NEX-5-Adapter-Ring-/280541443582?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item415192b5fe

As to quality, I can merely say I hang my Zeiss ZF's off of it. The sub $10 ones from china have all improved in quality from a few years ago. The example I mention above is the best I could find at any price.

I did take a jewelers screw and some liquid thread lock and disassemble it completely to tighten everything down... field tested in sub zero temperatures and tropical heat with no problems so far.

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.