New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

P00kienrayray
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

New to the mirrorless world and looking for a mirrorless to compliment my 5D2 for these reasons:
*EVF-what you is what you get
*Lighter/smaller package-will still be big and heavy with EF glass, but still better than DSLR
*Adaptability to FD lenses and pretty much any other lenses
*Just wanna venture from the DSLR for a change.

It will be my primary daily camera used for cityscapes, street photography, baby and home pics, occasional landscapes. And it will be a backup to my 5D for events and photoshoots. No sports or wildlife.

What I'm looking for in choosing a mirrorless:
*High resolution-enough to blow up a 20x30
*EF adapter doesn't need AF, but needs aperture controls
*Good focus-peaking system
*Low light capabilities- I don't plan on getting a flash for it, but maybe later down the road.
*Aesthetic style/design-huge fan of the vintage SLR look and really digging the manual dials up top and centered viewfinder
*Mechanical feel-not sure if there's any mirrorless that has this, but I like the "feedback" I get from a shutter click, pushing buttons, dials, etc. instead of the digital P&S type of feel.
*Full frame-this is strictly a lust, not a need. Obviously, only on the a7 series.

Not sure what else to add...am leaning towards the Sony lineup (NEX 6/a6000/a7) for the adaptability, but was looking at the Fuji XT1 bc I like the body design. I would say my budget allows for any of the camera I've listed so far.

Jun 18, 2014 at 01:37 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

As far as I know, if you want aperture control with EF lenses your only choice right now is Sony. I don't believe anyone makes a smart adapter for the Fuji X mount.

The A7 IQ is, in my opinion, better than the 5D2 that I replaced it with at low ISO. High ISO noise the 5D2 might have a slight edge, but it's really close to my eyes. As far as mechanical feel goes, I don't get that with the A7. Lots of technology packed into a small camera, but the tactile feel leaves something to be desired.

If you don't need full frame the a6000 seems well received and has more native lens options than the FE mount. I don't own one but I'm sure the sensor is quite good and would enlarge well.

I honestly think either would work well for what you describe.

Jun 18, 2014 at 02:20 PM
P00kienrayray
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

Its a toss up now between a6000 & a7. If I get the a7, its only for full frame and superficial reasons. May I ask why u replaced the 5D with the a7?

Jun 18, 2014 at 03:12 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

I just wanted to switch to an EVF without giving up full frame, so the A7(r) is pretty much it. I've been shooting mirrorless for a while and prefer using an EVF to and OVF. My Olympus E-M5 really sold me on switching entirely to mirrorless, Sony reaped the benefits by being the only option.

From a functionality standpoint, I prefer my E-M5 to the A7 but for high ISO and shallow DOF I like having a FF camera available. My solution is to own both crop and FF cameras.

Jun 18, 2014 at 03:20 PM
P00kienrayray
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

Played with the a7r today at the local camera store. Everything I expected, but with a little more. Except the slightly grainy viewfinder.

If you were able to give up a 5D for the a7, I'm contemplating if it's possible for me. Probably not, but entertaining to imagine it

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

If you definitely are going to use EF lenses, the A7 is the way to go. If you want real size reduction, though, native lenses are a better bet, and there they become a lot more of a toss up. The Fuji lenses are outstanding, and I personally love the X-T1 EVF and controls more than the A7, bit you can't go wrong with either really. Again, if you want EF, go sony.

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:30 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

Tough call, both A7 and Fuji XT1 are very good IMO - I had to make a decision to keep one of them (since I can't afford both) and I went A7 for adapting older lenses at their native lengths without needing lot of speed boosters.

I can also see going Fuji, but I think native Fuji is more appealing than adapting.

I slightly prefer XT1's EVF over the A7's, but both are very good. A7's sensitive EVF auto-switch sensor is very annoying, though.

IQ - I'd slightly disagree with Formula, saying 5D2 slightly trumps A7 in high ISO - I'd say they're fairly equal, though when it comes to raising shadows etc, the A7 kills the 5D2 (that may or may not matter to you).

I do agree with Formula that the tactile feel / control of the A7 leaves a little to be desired. I liked the XT1 better for the MOST part, but the XT1's rear buttons are a pain in the butt themselves. After some practice, though, it's not a big deal for me.

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:28 PM
P00kienrayray
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

Had a discussion with someone on the canon forums who got an a7 and he mirrored the same view: FF for shallow DOF and native focal lengths; both things I've never considered but do value in making my decision. Thanks guys, the FF a7 is my decision. I was thinking that ff would be over kill for me but it has its strong points.

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:21 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help me choose a mirrorless to adapt EF/FD lenses

I do enjoy shooting FD and other lenses on my A7r, it's about as good as native FD cameras.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.