Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Best lens for the Df

Parkertinsley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best lens for the Df

I am currently a Canon shooter considering switching to the Df as a camera body and wanted to know what are some acclaimed Nikon lenses as I am somewhat unfamiliar with the system. I would love any input regarding opinions on the "best" Nikon lenses as well as any personal favorites or recommendations!

If it helps I use a 17-40 f4, 35 f2.0 IS, sigma 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 IS macro, and 70-200 f2.8 IS. I shoot mostly portraits, events, and street but I also work a little in landscape, surreal, macro, wedding, architecture, and travel.

Thanks to any and all who offer advice!

Jun 17, 2014 at 05:14 AM
low325
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Best lens for the Df

I find that the 58G mates really well on a Df.

Jun 17, 2014 at 05:40 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Best lens for the Df

So you shoot everything! It would help to add a price range and how many lenses you plan to buy.

Here is a starting point: You had a nice selection of Canon lenses, so Nikon's equivalents are a good starting point. 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 105 2.8 macro, and the Sigma Arts are popular.

The new Nikon 58 1.4 G is a lens I really enjoy using.

If you want some lighter weight lenses, try 1.8 primes for better balance with the DF. The Sigma Art lenses might be a tad heavy, but others with talk to that point. BTW, the 58 1.4 is a light weight.

Enjoy your camera.

Jun 17, 2014 at 05:50 AM
chuhsi1
• •
p.1 #4 · Best lens for the Df

try this:
http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-lenses-for-Df-Prime-and-Zoom-lens-overview

Jun 17, 2014 at 06:12 AM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.1 #5 · Best lens for the Df

My most used lenses on the DF are a 16-35/4, 35/1.4, 50/1.8G, and 85/1.8G. The little 1.8G primes are a match made in heaven with the camera.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Best lens for the Df

Best lens for a certain camera? Is that even possible to say?? How is one lens excellent on a D600 but not on a DF, or vice versa....either the lens is good for YOUR STYLE, or it's not....that has absolutely nothing to do with which camera you're using (provided you're comparing equivalent sensor sizes)....i mean, if you want one lens for all of that, buy a 24-70 or a 24-120 or a 28-300...i mean, seriously, obviously only YOU know how you REALLY shoot (just saying "weddings, events, street, etc" means nothing...)...do you favor wide stuff?? Long stuff? Do you prefer small lenses?? It's not something we can tell you. Please, can people stop with these vague questions?? There comes a time when you need to know your style and equipment well enough, that you could switch bodies or brands at any time, and know exactly what you need...

Here's a thought...Nikon offers an approximate duplicate of everything you already have for canon...so just buy that. Wow. That was hard.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.1 #7 · Best lens for the Df

NathanHamler wrote:
Best lens for a certain camera? Is that even possible to say?? How is one lens excellent on a D600 but not on a DF, or vice versa....either the lens is good for YOUR STYLE, or it's not....that has absolutely nothing to do with which camera you're using (provided you're comparing equivalent sensor sizes)....i mean, if you want one lens for all of that, buy a 24-70 or a 24-120 or a 28-300...i mean, seriously, obviously only YOU know how you REALLY shoot (just saying "weddings, events, street, etc" means nothing...)...do you favor wide stuff?? Long stuff? Do you prefer
...Show more

While I agree with you completely, some people operate on a different wavelength.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Best lens for the Df

Jason_Brook wrote:
While I agree with you completely, some people operate on a different wavelength.

Fair enough.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joanlvh
• • •
p.1 #9 · Best lens for the Df

I like 55mm1.2, and the 80-200, if u do not mind manual focus, there are a lot of good, old Nikkor that are inexpensive. There is an AF 24-85 that is good, a bit large. I really like the DF.joanlvh

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:19 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Best lens for the Df

Parkertinsley wrote:
If it helps I use a 17-40 f4, 35 f2.0 IS, sigma 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 IS macro, and 70-200 f2.8 IS. I shoot mostly portraits, events, and street but I also work a little in landscape, surreal, macro, wedding, architecture, and travel.

If you like those lenses, maybe you should get the Nikon 'equivalent'. 16-35 f/4, 35 f/2, Sigma 50 1.4, 105VR and 70-200 2.8 VR. These will all work fine with a Df.

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:47 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Best lens for the Df

Some thoughts Parker. It is rather easy when moving from one system to another to simply replicate the kit you've been using. One person above suggested just that. Nothing wrong with the suggestion in most instances but there are a couple of dimensions to this process that might argue for a different approach. First, the Df is considerably smaller than most DSLR cameras produced by Canon and Nikon. Yes, all of the lenses noted will mount on the camera, but what will it be like shooting with a relatively small camera and a huge lens. Probably won't balance especially well and will likely look a bit strange. Jason mentions smaller f/1.8 lenses that are a closer match in size. Worth considering? That is for you to decide.

Another dimension is alluded to by Joan. The Df is intended to evoke a bygone era. It even comes as a kit with an ordinary 50 f/1.8 lens that has been tricked out to look like an old lens. Nice. But why not check out the real thing? This was what happened when I picked up a D700 after shooting for five years with Canon gear. I have a very extensive kit of professional Canon lenses. I didn't know whether I wanted to give them up but I did want to see what folks were talking about with the D700. I soon discovered, that unlike Canon who changed their lens mount and thereby rendered legacy manual focus lenses unusable, Nikon kept the same mount. That mean the dozens of amazing lenses manufactured by Nikon for the last forty plus years would mount on a modern DSLR camera.

Whatever AF lenses you buy when you pick up a Df camera, I'd encourage you to pick up a couple of manual focus Nikkor lenses. Perhaps start with the classic 105 f/2.5 AI or AI-s that can be bought for less than $200. See how it feels to turn the focusing ring. If you want to do that with Canon you either need to use and adaptor that lets you mount Nikon or other lenses, or you need to spend $1,500 to buy a Zeiss lens. Nothing wrong with that, but IF you're going to play with Nikon you really owe it to yourself to check out the beautifully crafted all metal lenses that were the best available for decades...

You might even want to check out a thread i started on the subject of Manual Focus Nikon Glass. It is the most active thread on Fred Miranda, probably because there are so many folks from around the world who appreciate these lenses and love shooting with them. Good luck... and have fun.

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:11 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Best lens for the Df

I'd like to know why you're switching- seems like a lot of effort when you've essentially 'made it' on the Canon side. What does the Canon gear specifically not do for you?

(I understand that the Df's sensor is a thing to lust after, I'm really just asking for my own edification)

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:14 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Best lens for the Df

I use the 50mm f/1.8G almost 90% of the time on my Df

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:06 AM
james.d53
• •
p.1 #14 · Best lens for the Df

Any lens I lock on the Df is the best lens!! It's a great body!

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:49 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #15 · Best lens for the Df

james.d53 wrote:
Any lens I lock on the Df is the best lens!! It's a great body!

x2

Jun 19, 2014 at 06:13 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Best lens for the Df

The Df is a slightly different beast to regular dlsr's. So as Curtis and others have mentioned the balance will be important.

For instance it was not as comfortable for me holding the Df with a 70-200 f2.8 on it as it was with the d700 even thought the Df weighed less.

You may struggle here so for check this out for your style of shooting.

I'd be curious why you'd give up canon with the fear you've got though. This may help with the thought process in relation to your question.

Maybe you could add a Df and 1 of 2 lenses as a walkaround option rather than replace.

Jun 19, 2014 at 06:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password