New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

John Webb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Recently upgrade LR4 to LR5. Initially had no problems and was able to finish my edits in CS6 by going to "Edit In" then selecting adobe Photoshop CS6. Once selected I would get a warning message that my version of ACR needed to be upgraded but could still open the file. Apparently I upgraded the ACR to 8.4 and it is now compatible with LR5.4. My problem is that now it will open the file in CS6 as a nef and not a tiff. Have same issue if I try to open dng file. I run across the same issue if I try to open the raw file straight out of CS6 using ACR. Also it doesn't appear as if all the processing done in LR is reflected in the file in CS6. Another issue is that it doesn't appear that I can save the .msh files created during liquify. I use to decrease my file size make my adjustments in liquify, save the mesh, cancel revert back to the original file size and then load and apply the saved .msh file. I'm on a iMac with OSX 10.9. So far I've been on with adobes help desk for about 3 hours and have made no headway, they have now escalated the issue.

Anyone run across similar issues or have a solution.

Thanks

Jun 16, 2014 at 06:20 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Check your Lr preferences for external editing in case the Adobe Photoshop part has been changed by the gremlins. Edit > Preferences > External Editing. Make sure it is pointing to the correct Ps and has the correct return file type. Probably do the same thing in Ps in case it is using the wrong ACR.

Jun 17, 2014 at 03:29 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Having this is one of the best things about the LR Ps interaction. You don't have unnecessary TIFFs made. All LR adjustments should carry into PS in the RAW.

If you want the TIFF, simply hitting 'Save' will create a TIFF, so you don't need to worry about losing your edits, but won't have a bunch of unneeded TIFF files if you decide not to do anything with the file once you open it (or if you're opening several images for compositing, etc....you don't need the TIFFs to grab the parts of the image you need.

Jun 17, 2014 at 05:36 AM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Thanks,

Have already checked preferences in LR, CS6 and Bridge. Everything is as it should be, Also it is pointing to the correct PS.

I appreciate that LR does not make unnecessary tiff's but when you go from lightroom to CS6 it had in the past opened the processed file with the tiff extension. Since the upgrade of ACR to 8.4 to match LR 5.4 in no longer opens the file with the tiff extension. The files now open in CS6 with the extension of the raw file either nef or dng whatever the file being processed was. In addition the Liquify filter in CS6 no longer works get message that the operation could not be completed. Also all the changes that were made in LR5 do not seem to be reflected in the File opened in CS6.

Yes you can hit save and it will create the file with "edit.tiff" extension but that results in creating unneeded tiff files. In the past it opened the file as a tiff in CS6 and if I decided that after processing or playing with the file that I didn't want to save it, I simply closed the file and there were no additional tiff's created. Currently I have to save it whether I want to or not just so I can continue processing in lightroom.

Jun 17, 2014 at 07:01 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

The same thing as in the past will work with the RAW (though it always saved the TIFF for me when I didn't have up to date LR or ACR). The TIFF here will only be made if you decide to save your edits, otherwise it just round trips without any modification. One other nice thing to look at is opening the RAWs as smart objects, as then you can update the RAW conversion in PS if desired after you've worked with it a bit (bump exposure a little more, remove CA, etc)

The reason the behavior is changed is because LR and PS now use the same ACR engine (8.4) when you were on LR 4, it wasn't the same, and when that's the case, it can't do the seamless RAW handoff that it is doing now.

There really is no downside to the way it's handling the files now.

Jun 17, 2014 at 07:04 AM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Sorry , but there is a downside. All the lightroom adjustments are not being reflected in the file opened in CS6, Also I can no longer use the liquify filter in CS6. Not sure what other filters or commands are no longer available as I have not been able to test everything.

In the past it would open with the tiff extension and only when I saved the image would it create the "edit.tiff" version of the file. I after opening I just closed the image in PS. A tiff file was not created in Lightroom. If I "Saved" the file in CS6 then and only then would it create a "edit.tiff" version of the file in LR. It worked this way in LR4 and also LR5 before ACR was upgraded to ACR 8.4. from ACR 8.3

Spent about 5 hrs yesterday with Adobe support and they have had to escalate the issue as they could not correct the problem.

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:12 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Ok, that shouldn't be happening. Opening as the RAW should, but all your LR edits should transfer, and there should be no limits on what you can do (unless you are opening as a smart object, which might prevent liquefy).

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:15 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Hi John
I suggest that the first step is to verify that both LR and PS are on the same version of ACR (they both have one and they are separate)

In LR, from the menu use Lightroom > About Adobe Photoshop Ver 5.x and the panel that opens gives both the LR version and the ACR version embedded in LR

Now in PS use the menu Photoshop > About Plugin > Camera Raw and check the version there. My guess is that the ACR version in PS may not match.

When there is not a match, LR says there is a problem initially and gives you a choice to Render in LR or open anyways in PS. This is where the problem begins. If you open anyways the edits in LR do not come along for the ride. They would only com along for hte ride if you had chosen Render in LR. Also, if you check the box to do this always in the future, the waring does not show up again.

So this may or may not be your issue. There is another way to verify. Go to LR Preferencs and in the General tab check the button that resets all warning dialogs. This will reenable the warning of ACR incompatibility between LR and PS. If when opening a Raw through Eidt In PS you get the warning and choices again you definelty have an incompatibility.

Easiest thing to do is get LR and PS on the same ACR and your issues should go away. Alternately, you could also just use the Render in LR option and you should be good to go even with incompatible ACRs.

That is my best guess for the symptons you are describing. There are not too many ways of edits in LR not making it to PS yet the above is one of them.

I hope this is of help yet as I said this may or may not be your issue.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

John Thanks.

Both LR and CS6 are on the same version of ACR 8.4, and I believe that is where my problem started. Currently LR5 indicates LR5.4 and ACR 8.4, CS6 indicated ACR 8.4.0.199.

Prior to that, when I 1st upgraded to LR5 from LR4.4 (two weeks ago), LR was 5.4 and CS6 was on 8.3. I did get the warnings that there was not a match and would indicate that I wanted to render in lightroom. I updated ACR to 8.4 so that the two would match, the warning box on the general tab is now greyed out, so unable to reset the warning dialogue.

Is there an alternate way of requesting to render in LR? Could this be a compatibility issue with ACR8.4 and OSX 10.9 Mavericks, On on a iMac.

Even when I open a raw image directly from CS6 - and ACR raw editor comes up I get the same results. Once finished with the raw editor the file opens in CS6 as a net or dng, dependent on the file processed in ACR. not all the adjustments seemed to have come across and again unable to use the liquify tool.

This is why I'm thinking there might me a incompatibility with ACR 8.4 and Mavericks OS.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

HI John
I have not heard of any major issues using ACR 8.4 with OSX 10.9 (to be safe make sure you have done all the updaes). You might want to make sure you have all the graphics card updates as well.

Personally, I would separate out the issues of Liquify filter from the edits coming into PS as they could have a common "pilot error" issue yet in general those are not coupled.

Note that the file type shown at the end of the file name in PS only represents what PS saw as the source of the image pixels.

Case in point: If you have an NEF image coming from LR into PS (and LR Preferences indicated Exteranal Editing file to bereturned as TIFF. Note that the TIFF file is not created until you click on File > Save or for macs the shortuct is Cmd+S. It will show up as NEF in the name tage indicating its source until you do a save. Easy test, Open NEF file through Edit in PS from LR and as soon as it is in PS, just do a Cmd+S. This creates the TIFF file availabe to LR and the name suffix in PS immediately changes to TIFF.

In PS, the TIFF is now the tag for the file that was just saved. None of the above impacts how processing is done in PS as the interal data bits in PS are still the same. Actual file formatting occurs when the file is saved..

This still does not solve the issue you are having with edits not coming across from LR to PS. I would do a test where you know for sure some edit is not comming across as opposed to "seems" it is not coming across and then debug is much easier. Otherwise we may be chasing a ghost.

Note that when using Edit in PS from LR the internal changes in LR are sent via XMP metadata side car file for raw images. If you make changes in LR, then try and open directly in PS you will not see those changes in PS unless you have the Preference set in LR to force Develop changes to be automatically stored with the files (as XMP side care files for Raw).

I still don't know if this is your issue so my suggestion to get down to a hard, very sure example from which to work with. Got to move away from the "seems" type of situation.

Just my opinion of course.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR5 issue with "Edit in" CS6

Trash your Photoshop prefs file — always the first step in dealing with PS weirdness. Backup the prefs first, just in case it is not the culprit. You'll be able to restore your customizations by restoring the file.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.