New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · EOS M solid walkaround?

EOS20
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Tamron makes 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC for Canon EOS M:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/06/19/tamron-makes-18-200mm-f-3-5-6-3-di-iii-vc-for-canon-eos-m?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_2

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:00 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Just purchased the M from a FM member with the 18-55 and the 20mm.

Nice little rig, actually a little too small.

This grip really helps : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1W7BYK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:09 AM
racoll
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · EOS M solid walkaround?

EOS20 wrote:
Tamron makes 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC for Canon EOS M:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/06/19/tamron-makes-18-200mm-f-3-5-6-3-di-iii-vc-for-canon-eos-m?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_2

That's really exciting!

Andy

Jun 19, 2014 at 08:48 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Thanks for the heads-up Psychic1, grabbing one of those and the Wasabi 2-pack+charger battery kit!

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · EOS M solid walkaround?

johnctharp wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up Psychic1, grabbing one of those and the Wasabi 2-pack+charger battery kit!

I have the 270EX, grip, Wasabi 2 pack+ and a 64GB Ridata. I will probally drill and tap the grip and use my SL-R shoulder strap and leave the mount free for the Benro travel tripod.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Psychic1 wrote:
I have the 270EX, grip, Wasabi 2 pack+ and a 64GB Ridata. I will probally drill and tap the grip and use my SL-R shoulder strap and leave the mount free for the Benro travel tripod.

I should get that done for my BlackRapid Sport. I have the 90EX (too cheap to pass up as an optical commander) and the 270EX II, which works very well as an area fill when pointed up with a diffuser. I've tested the 90EX with the 270 and a YN568 II on mounts, and that works great, though more so with the 6D's flash abilities .

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · EOS M solid walkaround?

johnctharp wrote:
I should get that done for my BlackRapid Sport.

John

Drilled and taped my grip and added a 1/4 x 20 nut inside the base, secured with Epoxy Putty because the base material is only .060.

Works great with the tripod.

Jul 06, 2014 at 05:48 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · EOS M solid walkaround?

That would definitely work- right now I just have the stock strap, which doesn't get in the way of the tripod mount.

Jul 06, 2014 at 06:00 PM
bwchase

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · EOS M solid walkaround?

1+ on the grip Psychick1 has, gives a much more secure hold, and works with arca swiss clamps.
For walking around the neck strap is ok, but if stopping to take several photos I
need to take it from around m neck. If shooting downward the strap gets in the way.
The M doesn't have a good place to fasten a hand strap.

Jul 06, 2014 at 10:46 PM
cheem
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I purchased the ER-E1 wrist strap from Japan recently on eBay and have yet to receive it. I picked up a Flipbac G4 stick on grip and it provides excellent handling with one hand - you do have to peel off the Canon rubber pad from the body to affix the Flipback G4.

The grip Psychic1 has looks intriguing though, it would provide a solid arca-swiss base rather than the Benro screw-on one I occasionally use.

OP: I bought the M after considering going the Fuji X-Series route. I thought the M was a gimic but I have taken it on two trips and the size of my travel kit is now drastically reduced. I found a small Pacsafe Metro 200 bag a while back and carried around an iPad mini, EOS-M, 22mm, 18-55 and the 90EX, along with cell phone, keys and other junk. The bag is the size of a small purse or 'murse' and is very flat.

Once I get the wrist strap my small street kit will be the M, 22 and ER-E1 strap.

I don't miss lugging around my full DSLR kit and have found myself poking at my 5D3 screen in hopes of changing settings on it as I have become so accustomed to the excellent touch screen.

Jul 06, 2014 at 11:04 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · EOS M solid walkaround?

cheem wrote:
have found myself poking at my 5D3 screen in hopes of changing settings on it as I have become so accustomed to the excellent touch screen.

I don't know how many times I try to move the focusing spot on my other cameras too. Ugh. Love that touch screen on the M

Wish all my other cameras had that.

d~

Jul 07, 2014 at 06:09 AM
grog13
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I use the M w/ adaptor & 24-105 & 10-22 lenses for a backpacking setup. Lots of folks point out that once you add the adapter & ef or ef-s lenses it's no longer compact. True, but still a lot lighter (by 3/4 pound) than the same lenses on a 6D or 60D. The worst thing about it for this use is the battery life - it's abysmal. I'd have to say, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with an SL-1 / 100D for the battery life & viewfinder, since I find I don't in fact use the M mount lenses much. The 18-55 is quite good for its class, but still falls well short of a better zoom like the 24-105 or 15-85. But still terrific bang for the buck if you need something coat-pocketable with the flexibility to use better lenses when size doesn't matter. Just buy lots of batteries.

Jul 07, 2014 at 11:54 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · EOS M solid walkaround?

grog13 wrote:
I use the M w/ adaptor & 24-105 & 10-22 lenses for a backpacking setup. Lots of folks point out that once you add the adapter & ef or ef-s lenses it's no longer compact. True, but still a lot lighter (by 3/4 pound) than the same lenses on a 6D or 60D. The worst thing about it for this use is the battery life - it's abysmal. I'd have to say, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with an SL-1 / 100D for the battery life & viewfinder, since I find I don't in
...Show more

Having the 10-22 and adapter would make you not a great fit for the 11-22, but having sold my 60D upon picking up my 6D the price of the EOS-M and 11-22 was equal to that of the 17-40L . That, and with the 22/2 you have a high-quality portable setup that no other Canon (and few alts) can match, and that the now available in Canada 55-200 will make even the SL1 and 55-250 look big .

As for batteries, I've been having good luck with the Wasabi kits that come with two batteries and a charger for both the EOS-M and the 6D, and they're plenty cheap off Amazon.

Jul 07, 2014 at 03:12 PM
Gai Shan

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I just want metabones to make a EF to M focal reducer.

Jul 07, 2014 at 10:49 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Gai Shan wrote:

I'd rather Canon do it

Jul 08, 2014 at 01:23 AM
cheem
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Gai Shan wrote:

I am not familiar with focal reducers, would it allow an M lens to be mounted on an EF mount?

Jul 08, 2014 at 05:31 AM
Harold Carlson
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Gai Shan wrote:

Except it would cost more than the camera I'm sure.

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:14 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · EOS M solid walkaround?

This combination (400mm f/5.6L, 1.4X TC, EOS lens adapter) is NOT recommended as a "walk-around" combo.

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:37 AM
nads
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · EOS M solid walkaround?

johnctharp wrote:
Having the 10-22 and adapter would make you not a great fit for the 11-22, but having sold my 60D upon picking up my 6D the price of the EOS-M and 11-22 was equal to that of the 17-40L . That, and with the 22/2 you have a high-quality portable setup that no other Canon (and few alts) can match, and that the now available in Canada 55-200 will make even the SL1 and 55-250 look big .

As for batteries, I've been having good luck with the Wasabi kits that come with two batteries and a charger for both the
...Show more

Have you seen any sites with the 55-200 for sale in Canada?

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:24 AM
cheem
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Photoprice.ca (a pricing consolidator) does not have it listed yet and I only see it on Canon.ca.

You may want to call Henry's or Vistek and inquire - they may have better visibility into this lens.

Jul 09, 2014 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.