Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

EOS M solid walkaround?

_drifty

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Hey all, this seems like a great forum and I hope to hear some great feedback for my first thread.

I have a 6D and some glass and it's recently become a task to lug around my bag to just go out and shoot. With that said I was looking to pick up the EOS M as a cheap, solid walkaround system with the ability to use some of my higher end glass if I want to.

Does anyone have some feedback from using this camera strictly as a light weight alternative to their heavier bodies and glass? It seems like quite the bargain for $300 or so used.

Jun 16, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Yep it's why I picked one up . It made taking a camera around Disney (Paris) with the kids much more bearable .

The 18-55 is a great little lens and as far as I can gather the other M lenses are gems as well .

Jun 16, 2014 at 04:49 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS M solid walkaround?

great iq, cheap, small and portable.
shot to shot speed is very slow. If your kids will pose, it is fine. For kids that don't, not so great.

Jun 16, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I recommend it. Its small enough that everyone treats you like a tourist. With the hardware upgrade, I think its as good as my a7r for focus speed.

It will work better if you are a canon guy because it has same menu system as 70d.

The downside is no viewfinder.

But I took it to the high arctic and atv'd with it and hiked with it and walked the beach with my wife with it and I like it. Better than my a7r for compact, ease of use for me because I am familiar with canon - just lacks that ff. But the lens are great.

Jun 16, 2014 at 05:01 PM
_drifty

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I just picked one up with the 22mm and 18-55. Do you see the EF-M adapter as necessary?

Jun 16, 2014 at 06:02 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS M solid walkaround?

_drifty wrote:

I just picked one up with the 22mm and 18-55. Do you see the EF-M adapter as necessary?

I have the adapter and rarely use it. The eos-m is small with good quality with average focus. When you put the adapter on, it becomes large and slow focus. I would not bother. eg I put my 100-400 on it once and it was painful.In adittion the specs show that the 11-22, 22 are better 0r as good as any apsc lens from canon.

Jun 16, 2014 at 06:13 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS M solid walkaround?

It's a nice walkaround camera if you don't want to shoot things that move. The IQ is great, but don't plan on using your EF lenses on it because that will defeat the purpose of such a small camera.

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:11 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS M solid walkaround?

_drifty wrote:

dont know about the adapter . I sometimes think I want it but then I think if Im going to mount EF (or EFs) glass on it id be better off with my 5D3 or a smaller rebel (SL1 or something)

also did the M you just picked up come with the 90EX flash ? if not then I would consider trying to get hold of one . its a handy little flash that will also see some good use on your 6D (it can be a master to the rest of the EX series flashes )

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:20 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I considered one but opted for a G1X instead that has served me well. Anything that required EF lenses would be too big in my opinion....and if I didn't use them.....a point and shoot became a good alternative.

Having got used to the G1X however...I am wondering whether to invest in something similar but better....which isn't something Canon make.

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:35 PM
rbn920
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I grabbed the adapter and used it quite a bit with the 40mm pancake.

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LLsnaps

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I have the EOS M. Love it - great little camera.

The 22mm is a gem of a lens. I am very accustomed to shooting 35mm FF and 22mm on a crop is... 35mm. Excellent IQ from both the lens and camera.

Focus speed is still slow after the firmware update last year. It's slow but usable. Just know its limitations and shoot around them. I also think the ergonomics aren't great but it's a small camera and few small cameras have good ergonomics. Richard Nye is correct, you can't shoot objects moving quickly with the AF. However, if you want to channel your inner street photog and can get good at remembering how much DOF you have at a certain FL and object distance, that could work... but at that point you might be better off using your SLR.

I have not used the 18-55 but from what I hear it's also a very good lens. Haven't heard one cross word about the 11-22 either. (I have neither of those lenses btw)

I have the EF adapter and use it a fair amount. I use it mostly with the 40mm pancake (65mm FF) and the 50mm 1.8 (80mm FF). I generally shoot 35/85 on FF so I prefer the FL of the 50, but the 40 is really nice too since it's small. If I want to pack a light kit, it's the EOS M with 22, and I bring the 50mm and the adapter. It all works together which is quite nice.

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:47 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS M solid walkaround?

rbn920 wrote:
I grabbed the adapter and used it quite a bit with the 40mm pancake.

As I have a 6D like the OP, the adapter gives me reach when I absolutely need it, and it works just as well with adapted glass as it works with native glass. Just understand that employing the M effectively is different than employing a DSLR, or even different from employing other mirrorless systems- it is best used with the 'touch' shutter, which locks on to whatever you 'touch' and then snaps the shot once it feels that it has acquired focus, and it can actually track a good degree of movement in the process. Of course, shot-to-shot performance is abysmal, but patience will bring you a flash card full of very well recorded memories.

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:50 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I'd consider the 18-55 to be 'above average' optically as far as kit zooms go; maybe not quite the equal of the new EF-S STM kit zoom, but certainly better than the dredge that Sony ships. Worst complaint so far is a fair amount of longitudinal chromatic aberration (green and magenta fringing) in worst-case shooting conditions, but overall acuity is still more than acceptable if you keep the ISO in check.

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:54 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS M solid walkaround?

For the M->EOS adapter, the new 10-18 is Great on that. Small and light enough its not 'front heavy' and still works with AF. Might not be as small as the 11-22 but at least you can use it on crop bodies, and even with the adapter its cheaper, then you can use 'real' canon glass too. The 50 1.2 on it is actually pretty nice...

Jun 16, 2014 at 08:14 PM
fotografur
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Its a great small camera to have with you, just know it's limitations.

I only have the 22mm. It's all I used in these two galleries.

http://www.pbase.com/dennislaska/ptown2013

http://www.pbase.com/dennislaska/eosm

Dennis

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:57 PM
demdo
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS M solid walkaround?

Hmmm... I was in the same situation as you once. But as soon as you mount any other lens than the 22mm, this system isn't large pocketable. With the adapter especially, its more awkward to use than the slightly bigger SL1. I prefer the SL1 actually and sold my M and three M lenses after 4 months of use. I don't have either right now.

I disliked not having an viewfinder of any sort and it not being as uber portable as I would want in a non DSLR system.

_drifty wrote:
Hey all, this seems like a great forum and I hope to hear some great feedback for my first thread.

I have a 6D and some glass and it's recently become a task to lug around my bag to just go out and shoot. With that said I was looking to pick up the EOS M as a cheap, solid walkaround system with the ability to use some of my higher end glass if I want to.

Does anyone have some feedback from using this camera strictly as a light weight alternative to their heavier bodies and glass? It seems like quite
...Show more

Jun 17, 2014 at 03:59 AM
P00kienrayray

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS M solid walkaround?

It's a really affordable camera if you want a pocket sized body.

Jun 17, 2014 at 04:04 AM
radioman301

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I like mine! Beats lugging all the other stuff around when I want to go light.

Jun 17, 2014 at 02:26 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I've found that I leave my 7D in the bag a lot more than I thought I would when I first got the M. I love using the camera for anything other than action or BIF shots. The IQ is awesome and the build quality is superb. With the 55-200mm being announced, I feel that I can have a nice, compact system that's lightweight but will still give the IQ I'm used to from my 7D.

Hey, this is my 3000th post 0n FM!

Andy

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:40 PM
jcw1982
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS M solid walkaround?

I never even considered a Canon M when looking for a light weight camera to take with me when hiking, camping, etc. I thought the touch screen would be a hassle and the camera didn't have many external dedicated knobs or buttons (something I generally like). Well, I ended up buying an M and have really enjoyed using it. If I could change or add a couple things: a tilt screen would be nice-I do a lot of macro stuff, I wish I could make the 'focusing' box smaller, and a removable viewfinder would be nice. Things I really like about the M: size, image quality, build quality, touch screen, manual focus assist, and of course price. I have not found the focusing speed to be that bad-at least for the subjects I shoot. I'm happy with mine and hope Canon continues the series--if not, I'll pick up another M body and make the most of it.

Jun 19, 2014 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password