New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

tele_pathic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Hey there all you fine Canon people. I have a favor to ask.

I'm in the process of building a home. Currently, my widest lens is 50mm 1.4 USM. I was hoping maybe I could borrow a lens your not currently using. I'm not talking an L lens (but that would be awesome). I'm talking about something along the lines of an EF 22-55, an EF 24-85, or some kind of EF "kit" lens in the 10mm to 28mm range, zoom or prime (although I'm well aware that most kits included zooms, not primes). If you're like me you may have something sitting on the shelf; you're not quite ready to sell it, but you rarely use it. I promise to love it and care for it as if it were my own. Our house will be complete by mid-to-late August, and I would return this lens promptly. I'm shooting on a 5d Classic/Mark I, so EF mount is necessary; otherwise, I'd be getting a cheapy 18-55-ish EF-S lens.

I know this is a lot to ask from a guy on the interwebz, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks,

SeanG.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

... One of the buyers for my Nigerian contact ... ? ...

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Haha! No. I'm legit. I'm looking to borrow because it's too short term to own a lens of this length but too long term to rent. I shoot a 50mm; I love that length but it's just too telephoto to cover wall to wall shots.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Wait, so you don't want to spend $200 to rent a lens for 2 months from a rental outfit... but you think people are willing to risk possible loss* of $1000 for the terrific benefit of losing the opportunity cost of their lens for 2 months, plus added wear-and-tear?

Wow, what a deal!

* Some of the possibilities:
1) Unknown guy on the internet gives me false and/or temporary information and runs off with my lens...
2) Unknown guy doesn't return my lens, and the legal costs of an interstate lawsuit is prohibitive...
3) Unknown guy drops my lens and returns my lens. The damage may be obvious or subtle, and we argue about it... and then he ignores me (because he disagrees with my assessment) and disappears...
4) Unknown guy drops my lens and destroys it. He might have intended to be a good guy, but since he didn't even have the money to rent a lens in the first place, he couldn't possibly afford to replace it. He suffers the guilt and disappears in shame. I still don't have a lens anymore.

I don't think even a long term regular on this site would be trusted with a "borrow" unless that person had a personal relationship outside of the Internet.

I think you should just suck it up and check out KEH and buy a used lens to meet your need, and then sell it back afterwards when you are done with its usage. If you are as "legit" as you claim (which would necessarily include the ability to pay somebody back should you accidentally damage/destroy a borrowed lens), you can afford to buy a used lens. If you are as careful as you need to be to use a borrowed lens, you should be able to keep your used lens purchase at minimal wear-and-tear... which should allow you to sell it on Ebay at almost (or at) full price.

Edited on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Well an WF 22-55 is not a $1K lens I don't think. I thought I was clear: I wouldn't expect anyone to let me borrow anything other than a shit lens like the 22-55. All I'm saying is on the Pentax forums such a request is not uncommon.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:01 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

If you're ok with manual focus you should be able to get an Olympus 28mm f2.8 plus cheap adapter for 50 bucks

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Is it to take pictures of the home build?

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

tele_pathic wrote:
Well an WF 22-55 is not a $1K lens I don't think. I thought I was clear: I wouldn't expect anyone to let me borrow anything other than a shit lens like the 22-55. All I'm saying is on the Pentax forums such a request is not uncommon.

Ugh, you are right about the EF 22-55's value. But I still think your "offer" is ridiculous. The cost of shipping alone is already a good percentage of purchasing this "shit lens" on Ebay (~$80). If you're willing to pay for shipping both ways, why don't you just buy the thing off of Ebay? It wouldn't be that much more.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Buy it off EBay, use it then sell back on EBay.

Also you didn't say where you were from.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

I would just buy an inexpensive used lens and sell it when you're done.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

There are plenty of used cheap Canon kit lenses that will work and available for less than $100. Try the 28-80/3.5-5.6 version V -- probably around $50-70 on eBay.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM
dtw757
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Best Buy....powershot cameras available for $54 (refurb) that can go to 28mm. Cheaper than a repair if someone is silly enough to lend you a lens, plus you have a camera you can throw in the glove box for those Kodak moments when a cell phone camera just won't do.

Craigs list also has cheap lens and P&S available.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

johnahill wrote:
Is it to take pictures of the home build?

John,

Yes, it's to take pics of the home build.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Is this still out of your reach?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-Canon-EF-177D-Aspherical-28-80-mm-F-3-5-5-6-Aspherical-AF-Lens-For-Canon-/221463761847?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item339044d3b7

This one is a little bit more money:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EF-28-80mm-IV-1-3-5-5-6-AF-ULTRASONIC-ZOOM-LENS-Filter-SLR-/271522736351?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f380428df

Edited on Jun 16, 2014 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

I think the points made have been very valid. Considering the cost of shipping (time, insurance, packaging, etc) x 2, getting a nice P&S on Craigslist or local store or just buying said cheap lens on eBay is probably the best route. Or a cheap manual focus lens as suggested (more fun in the long run, IMHO)

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:06 PM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Rio,

Thanks for steering me in that direction. I hadn't considered a Tamron. I purchased not that one, but a cleaner version of that lens.

I understand everyone else's points. All I can say is this: I've honored such requests at the Pentax Forums; I've loaned my lenses out and I've borrowed lenses for the short term. I didn't think it was such a big god dam deal to ask here, but one thing has been made apparent: This Canon forum is not the Pentax forum, as in this community of users is MUCH different than that community of users. So now I know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

Your best bet: buy a used 17-40 L for not a lot of money, use it for four months, and sell it for about what you paid for it. Zero cost rental since they hold value well.

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:46 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

I am glad be be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck on your project

tele_pathic wrote:
Rio,

Thanks for steering me in that direction. I hadn't considered a Tamron. I purchased not that one, but a cleaner version of that lens.

I understand everyone else's points. All I can say is this: I've honored such requests at the Pentax Forums; I've loaned my lenses out and I've borrowed lenses for the short term. I didn't think it was such a big god dam deal to ask here, but one thing has been made apparent: This Canon forum is not the Pentax forum, as in this community of users is MUCH different than that community of users. So
...Show more

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:49 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

tele_pathic wrote:
I understand everyone else's points. All I can say is this: I've honored such requests at the Pentax Forums; I've loaned my lenses out and I've borrowed lenses for the short term. I didn't think it was such a big god dam deal to ask here, but one thing has been made apparent: This Canon forum is not the Pentax forum, as in this community of users is MUCH different than that community of users. So now I know. Thanks for clearing that up.

I wouldn't attribute it to Canon vs. Pentax differences, but rather the fact that you have nothing here establishing your reliability as an individual.

Fact: You have nearly 8 times as many posts/interactions with people there than you have here.
Fact: You have 7 positive feedbacks in terms of marketplace interactions there.
Possible fact: You have loaned lenses out there, and borrowed lenses out there. Therefore you have established a reputation there as being reliable for those interactions.

You do not have any of that here. And somehow you expect the extension of a similar level of trust?

Fact: I can see that although you can supposedly "understand everyone else's points," you actually can't see things from other's perspectives (i.e. nobody here knows/trusts you because you haven't shown that you're deserving of that trust), and you're not above throwing out a barb against a community when you don't get your way. I should be able to say "I know what Pentaxians are like now," but that's low.

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:57 PM
LLsnaps

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Want to Borrow: UWA/WA Lens

I have little doubt as to the OP's trustworthiness. Seems like an elaborate scheme if the plan was to steal a cheap EF lens. So I personally would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, I don't see that borrowing a lens in this case, would be any better than some of the other options. If I were you I would buy a cheapo lens on ebay, and then resell it on ebay. Since you're just documenting your home build, you don't need tack sharpness in the corners. An old kit lens from ebay or craigslist should be fine. I'm sure there's a ton of old 28-90 Rebel kit lenses from 15 years ago that would work great.

Or, I also like the idea of buying a 17-40 and then reselling it when you're done. It's not going to depreciate, I bet you'd be able to get all your money back.

Jun 16, 2014 at 02:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.