New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Print your own photo to canvas suitable to hang outdoors

Ron Daniel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Print your own photo to canvas suitable to hang outdoors

I have a customer that wants one of my photos printed to canvas that is weatherproof so he can hang it outdoors. I have found tons of vendors that sell preprinted outdoor canvas, but no one that can do a custom print. Printing on glass or metal doesn't see to be the ticket either as all the vendors don't recommend handing them in direct sunlight.

Anyone know of someone who does this?

Thanks,

Ron

Jun 16, 2014 at 08:03 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Print your own photo to canvas suitable to hang outdoors

Sounds like you need a billboard printer using solvent inks on vinyl. Even they won't guarantee their prints for more than a short time in direct sun.

Jun 16, 2014 at 09:33 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Print your own photo to canvas suitable to hang outdoors

Ron,
Other than you noting that you live in the US, I have no clue as to your geographic location. I have in the past used a printer/sign/banner maker who could/would basically print/paint/color virtually any material with an image. I suspect such operations exist in every major (and even not so major) city as much of the billboard ads today are draped canvas or some other such weather resistant material.

Obviously cost goes up as the size increases and the materials become more exotic.

Robert

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Digitalbilly

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Print your own photo to canvas suitable to hang outdoors

I print on canvas at my shop in Long Beach Ca. Your print must be done with a solvent inks and I would recommend a water based clear coat be applied after printing. The coating must be water based on solvent inks or it will effect the solvent ink and ruin the print. Be sure your local printer or sign shop prints at the highest resolution there printer supports, at least 1440 DPI. Outdoor prints with water based inks will fade fast in direct sunlight but with solvent inks a year or more is possible. A heavy weight canvas will help also. I have not tested canvas for outdoor prints but a solvent printed banner, in the california sun usually lasts 3-4 years outdoors. Although the solvent inks will surely last
cheep canvas may not. How you mount the canvas will make a difference, wooden stretcher bars may not be the best idea either, mounting to a solid outdoor sign board may be a better solution. Try your local sign franchise they should be able to do this, be sure the follow the above guidelines and you should be good to go.
Bill

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:35 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Print your own photo to canvas suitable to hang outdoors

Actually you'd be surprised how well a properly printed and sprayed canvas print from an aqueous printer such as the 9900 holds up outdoors. The larger issue will be where the print is to be displayed and how much exposure to the elements will the print need to endure. For example, I've found in our geographical area, the wind has the potential to cause more damage than anything---and that's regardless of the type of printer (solvent or aqueous). I have produced canvas banners for outdoor use that are still hanging after more than two years with direct exposure to the elements, and that's with an Epson 9900 (aqueous) and hvlp sprayed for protection.

I've had a 7.5 foot panorama stretched canvas hung outside my studio for over three years now, without appreciable damage from the elements---but it's also under a covered area outdoors. It still attracts a lot of attention and comments.

No problem for me to produce a custom print for you on canvas. I'd recommend hvlp spray sealing the reverse side as well if you anticipate hanging outdoors. IMHO, the elements are the biggest factor to consider here (how much direct exposure).

Ken

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Print your own photo to canvas suitable to hang outdoors

Magnolia Editions in Berkeley CA made a 4x5 foot aluminum print of one of my wife's paintings that has been hanging outside in direct sunlight for several years in Boston and still looks great.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.