Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

Bijltje
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

Does anyone know if the zeiss 21/4.5 ZM is related to the 38/4.5 biogon from the Hasselblad SWC? Beside being a biogon.

They have a lot in common. Comparable field of view (38mm on medium format compares to 21mm on 35mm format), both biogon design, both almost no distortion, both f/4.5.

And in addition, Did anyone use the ZM version? How is it for b/w? I'm consider it for my M monochrom because of the low distortion and small size.

Jun 16, 2014 at 06:40 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

The CB21 is a Biogon more in spirit than in actuality. Based on the datasheets, B38 has a performance that is eerily similar, but CB21 is quite asymmetric in design. This makes sense because the BFD (back focus distance) would be just 12mm if the B38 were scaled down to 135 format. Even in the 1970s, the Leica M5 was having clearance trouble with symmetric 21mm lenses (Super Angulon). The modern designs for interchangeable W/A RF lenses avoid such symmetry, and that is particularly important with digital sensors.

Jun 16, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

Ok thank you!

Jun 17, 2014 at 05:48 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

Robert, the C-Biogon should be an outstanding lens for b/w. It causes severe color shift that is hard to correct even with Cornerfix and flat field plugin. But it's an extremely well performing lens otherwise and very compact.

Jun 17, 2014 at 06:39 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

edwardkaraa wrote:
Robert, the C-Biogon should be an outstanding lens for b/w. It causes severe color shift that is hard to correct even with Cornerfix and flat field plugin. But it's an extremely well performing lens otherwise and very compact.

How would it perform on a Sony A6000, I wonder?

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:02 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

I wouldn't use the C Biogon with anything but film, personally. It's a great lens, but digital friendly it is not.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

DoubleNegative wrote:
I wouldn't use the C Biogon with anything but film, personally. It's a great lens, but digital friendly it is not.

I thought it was okey with the MM? Did you use it with that?

Jun 17, 2014 at 01:06 PM
nfa75

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

The Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 performs very well on a NEX 5N or Nex 6 (not on 5 or 7, I don't know about A6000). It is a great lens, both for color and B&W, with absolutely no distorsion. And it is tiny, among the smallest lens available. Highly recommended if you have the right body for it!

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:44 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

I found these: http://www.pbase.com/dierk/leica_m_monochrom

Would be worthwhile contacting him for his opinion.

I was able to test the C-Biogon on the M9 when I first got the camera back in 2010... not sure if I still have the test photos anywhere. At the time I wanted to see how bad it really was, compared to the other ZM21.

From what I recall, it was very sharp, but colour shift and vignetting was severe. By f/5.6 it was difficult to tell the two lenses apart (for sharpness), though I think the C-Biogon had a slight advantage and much less distortion. But I went with the ZM21/2.8 because I shoot mostly colour and needed the lens speed in consideration of the M9's higher ISO performance.

My instinct is to say on the MM the C-Biogon will be sharp, but will likely have strong vignetting. I'm not sure whether the lack of CFA on the MM's sensor will make any significant difference to the amount of vignetting...

I think the appeal of the C-Biogon is the combination of size, performance and price. If you're willing to spend a bit more, I feel Leica's 21 SEM is a performance match for the C-Biogon, except distortion, which could be fixed in post, if you're not opposed to doing so.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 biogon vs 38/4.5 Biogon (SWC)

Thanks guy's!

Thank you for the link Ron, That Dierk Top seems to have used every wide angle lens available on the digital M's. He comes up every time I search for examples. Should have known he would have used the c biogon as well

The 21 SEM still seems like the best option out there. However I can't justify it as I have the 18 SEM as well.

Vignetting seems like a problem with the MM. I will go to the store to give it a try (and the 21 SEM.. )

Jun 19, 2014 at 01:06 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.