Mirex mamiya 55mm shift pano

Jun 15, 2014 at 05:55 PM
pike40
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tilt-shift lens

johnahill wrote:
Here's a couple of examples

Very nice, That oly does a very nice job of rendering. So it only shifts in Pano?

Mike

Jun 15, 2014 at 06:03 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tilt-shift lens

Mirex will now accept PayPal......starting 2010 or so.....

Canon FD 35 vs. 24II TS-E - if I were looking at 35mm T/S lenses for landscape - I would start with the 24II, much more versatile in many ways. Looking at your profile, you don't have anything wide that will match the 24II - though the 24L is probably pretty nice stopped down a few - your Canon zooms will become obsolete at that FL.

One of the many beauties of the 24II TS-E is Canon's modern lens coatings - strong micro-contast, for a 24mm, greatly reduced flare. To see what the 24II can do with landscape / Architectural scenes - spend your research time & $$ and just rent the lens - you won't want to send it back....

Jun 15, 2014 at 06:10 PM
pike40
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tilt-shift lens

mMontag wrote:
Mirex will now accept PayPal......starting 2010 or so.....

Canon FD 35 vs. 24II TS-E - if I were looking at 35mm T/S lenses for landscape - I would start with the 24II, much more versatile in many ways. Looking at your profile, you don't have anything wide that will match the 24II - though the 24L is probably pretty nice stopped down a few - your Canon zooms will become obsolete at that FL.

One of the many beauties of the 24II TS-E is Canon's modern lens coatings - strong micro-contast, for a 24mm, greatly reduced flare. To see what the 24II
...Show more

Thanks for the input, the 24L is very good stopped down, I have never used the 24 tse II but I was trying to spread my FL a bit. The other thing driving this is I am going to be in Canadian Rockies in a few weeks and am worried about going to wide. I had considered the 17 TSE but am not sure how often I will need that wide. The 35 FL thought came from earlier input on the Zeiss lens family for landscape. I may rent, I have an account set up to do it, not sure yet.

Mike

Jun 15, 2014 at 06:22 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tilt-shift lens

You can never be too wide in the Rockies, I have a pano that's 180 degrees that gives you sense of how expansive the view is, take the Icefield parkway to Jasper.

About how the lens is set up, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/modify_canon_tilt-shift.html
The 17tse and the 24tseII do not need this modification.

Jun 15, 2014 at 06:38 PM
pike40
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tilt-shift lens

LightShow wrote:
You can never be too wide in the Rockies, I have a pano that's 180 degrees that gives you sense of how expansive the view is, take the Icefield parkway to Jasper.

About how the lens is set up, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/modify_canon_tilt-shift.html
The 17tse and the 24tseII do not need this modification.

Thanks for the link and the how to on the orientation. A lot to think about......

Mike

Jun 15, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tilt-shift lens

Mike -- Regardless of what you might have heard or read as implication, the old FD 35TS is good, but note comparable to the excellent 24TSE II.

In fact, if you want wide angle, you are going to find it uber-expensively difficult, or in practical terms: impossible to get better imaging and controls than the Canon factory EOS solutions.

I also agree with Psychic1 that the original 24 TSE is a viable lens for most landscape and architecture when correcting for CA and slight distortion in LR. I owned one from the mid-90s to the late 00s and made a lot of money with it shooting architecture and surroundings on film and the 5D. I use the version II now.

I'd also think about getting the 16-35L II or the new 16-35/4L for all-around shooting landscapes and correcting perspective (if needed) in LR. A lot can be accomplished with architecture by just leveling your lens and finding the right vantage point.

Jun 15, 2014 at 07:06 PM
pike40
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tilt-shift lens

Gunzorro wrote:
Mike -- Regardless of what you might have heard or read as implication, the old FD 35TS is good, but note comparable to the excellent 24TSE II.

In fact, if you want wide angle, you are going to find it uber-expensively difficult, or in practical terms: impossible to get better imaging and controls than the Canon factory EOS solutions.

I also agree with Psychic1 that the original 24 TSE is a viable lens for most landscape and architecture when correcting for CA and slight distortion in LR. I owned one from the mid-90s to the late 00s and made a lot of
...Show more

Thanks, good advice for sure. There are so many things I would like to try and so little time to try them I have been kicking this around for several months and the time is getting close. If I don't sort it out I will probably rent for the trip. It is an awful good excuse though to buy another lens, I have my wife convinced.....

Mike

Jun 15, 2014 at 07:16 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tilt-shift lens

Just do it!

Check B&S here, or eBay, for a nice used 24 TSE II.

Don't rent it -- you are just throwing away time and money on an item like this which is easy to resell if you don't want to keep it.

Jun 16, 2014 at 09:43 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tilt-shift lens

pike40 wrote:
I have my wife convinced.....
Mike

What r u waiting for

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tilt-shift lens

pike40 wrote:
Very nice, That oly does a very nice job of rendering. So it only shifts in Pano?

Mike

The Olly is pretty unusual in that it shifts horizontally and vertically. These were just some examples I found quickly on my hard drive.

So the Oly shifts 10.5mm horizontally, 12/13mm vertically, and you can shift fully in one axis or partially in both axies.

If you're main use is for architecture to correct for converging parallels, then it works well, but obviously there are wider options.

Nikon offered a 28mm PC and there is also a 24mm oly PC but I've not used either.

If you've got the need for it and have the budget I'll agree the Canon TS-E's are remarkable, I've got the 17mm

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM
pike40
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tilt-shift lens

This is a little bit like asking my bartender if I should quit drinking.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tilt-shift lens

If you order the lens from B&H in NYC and you hate it, they will let you return it without any atempts to pressure you to keep it.

You could make it a "double" , a shot of TS24 backed by a shot of TS17.

Cheers

Jun 16, 2014 at 02:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.