Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Many of these shot from the hip.

Untitled by Tom Kaszuba, on Flickr

Tension by Tom Kaszuba, on Flickr

Happy together. by Tom Kaszuba, on Flickr

Two points by Tom Kaszuba, on Flickr

Jun 15, 2014 at 02:49 PM
inmyframe

p.1 #2 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Nice shots. I'm looking into getting a ricoh gr myself.

Jun 17, 2014 at 07:54 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

inmyframe wrote:
Nice shots. I'm looking into getting a ricoh gr myself.

Thank you. It's a very small camera with gorgeous image quality.

Jun 17, 2014 at 08:04 PM
conyon

p.1 #4 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Yes, +1. Image quality excellent, the camera is highly configurable and the ergonomics very satisfying. Nice shots..

Jun 17, 2014 at 08:17 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

conyon wrote:
Yes, +1. Image quality excellent, the camera is highly configurable and the ergonomics very satisfying. Nice shots..

Thanks conyon. Here's another.

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:34 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #6 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Hey Tom. I feel like this outing was a feel out day for you. #3 has some potential as at least from my eyes she seems abandoned and not sure where to go next. My only gripe is the crop. I think a standard 3:2 would work best. The last one seemed to have a potential in the scene, but the angle from the hip is awkward and overall confusing. The rest are either poorly framed and/or uninteresting at least from that POV.

IMO shooting from the hip is too much guess work and often results in poor framing and excessive tilt. Of course there are a few exceptions if you have a tilt/swivel screen, but even then the low perspective has some limitations unless you're very tall. Sometimes there is a time and a place for shooting without a VF or screen, but IMO you lose one aspect of control. That camera is tiny for street work so I say no need for hip shooting. There's other ways around of keeping the scene candid and working the scene more.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

boingyman wrote:
Hey Tom. I feel like this outing was a feel out day for you. #3 has some potential as at least from my eyes she seems abandoned and not sure where to go next. My only gripe is the crop. I think a standard 3:2 would work best. The last one seemed to have a potential in the scene, but the angle from the hip is awkward and overall confusing. The rest are either poorly framed and/or uninteresting at least from that POV.

IMO shooting from the hip is too much guess work and often results in poor framing and
...Show more

Thanks for your comments. Chris Weeks once stated shooting from the hip is the holy grail of candid street photography. I agree with him completely. I see you're shooting a Canon 5D Mark III and a 35L for your street work. Very difficult to get true candids with a huge set up like that without being seen by the subject. Some have success at it. I tried it with my 5D M 3 and didn't like the feeling. I'm after true candids. 5D makes it close to impossible.

Are you familiar with Joe Wigfall? You should watch this: http://youtu.be/y-IOEAlBpSo

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:41 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #8 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Hi Tom, I think the point Chris tries to make is to be as invisible as possible, which IMO is true, but not an absolute requirement.. Wouldn't it be pretty cool if you could use some type of glasses and snap a shot everytime you blinked? Nonetheless nothing is set in stone, which could be said with all forms/genre of photography.

I also agree that the 5D3/35L combo is harder to hide behind due to it's size, but from my experience I am still able to keep scenes quite candid even when being up close and personal. Would I prefer something smaller and less inspicuous? Yes, but not until I figure out what I want exactly. I think regardless of camera sometimes no matter the size if a camera is pointed towards someone it can lose the candidness of a moment the second they are aware of the camera. It also depends on your approach as well. On the otherhand I don't think all street photography has to be truly candid. If you look at the many high level work of the many great street photographers from the old and new you'll find a combination of everything, including some form of eye contact of the subjects. Sometimes eye contact can add to the image. At the end regardless of what so called technique, type of shot or gear you used, a great image is a great image. The problem is when it comes to street photography getting a keeper is not a easy task to accomplish, especially when the keeper to tosser rate is very very low.

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:19 PM
Mongrel
• •
p.1 #9 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Not that I'm any kind of an expert...

I like the processing and the tone a lot. The exposure etc. is right on, they are crisp and clean. Colors pop and bw tones work well. I do like all the shots taken from what I would consider a "normal perspective" or angle. Favorite is the couple taken from behind...

The issue I have with the other shots is that they are unnatural to the human angle of view. I don't 'see' people from knee or hip level. Because of this I cannot relate to the subjects that are taken from below. The others that are more direct reflect what I would see if I were walking down the street. And, as far as I can tell-isn't that the point of "street photography"? To give the perspective of just another pedestrian wandering through the crowd? Even if I were sitting on the curb the angle wouldn't be that severe...

The shots "taken from the hip" (holy-grail or not) just don't hold my interest and are unnecessarily unflattering to the subjects.

As far as gear? For street, I've shot a Sony S-85, Canon Rebel w/prime, Canon 20D w/prime, and my favorite-an Olympus XZ-1. It is harder for sure to be inconspicuous with a larger rig, but it's not impossible. Especially if you play "tourist" and point the lens up in the air a lot! lol

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:44 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

Thanks for the comments boingyman and Mongrel. Very interesting and thoughtful.

You might be interested in Antonio Olmos who is a street photographer with great talent. He shoots a Canon DSLR in the streets and doesn't even try to hide it. He has a terrific video that I have link below.

http://youtu.be/7MtZevan_NM

You can see his beautiful work here as well: http://www.antonioolmos.com/sources/ipad/index.php

Jun 21, 2014 at 06:18 AM
Vataga

p.1 #11 · Ricoh GR - Street photography.

This way of shooting is not always provides really good results. And this compilation proves this statement very good!
But we can deffo see some really interesting shots here!
What I want to say - you have to keep doing these kinds of shots on the street. But you have to make more careful selection at the end of the day.
And I'm sure that one day you'll have a very good collection of such street photos in your "portfolio".

Jun 21, 2014 at 07:31 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password