Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sand Storm

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sand Storm

Hey All,
So I decided to go back to Imperial Dunes for some sunset shots yesterday. I've got some great light but most importantly strong winds (up to 30 mph) so I was shooting away like crazy. I didn't have a chance to experience such sand movement before. It was hard on camera and lenses but, man, it was worth it. The temperature was close to 105 deg. so that didn't help either but about two hours before the sunset dropped to 99 Still, because of strong winds I didn't feel the heat. A few more photographers showed up later (right before the sunset), maybe some of you here?
Anyway, here are my first 5 already processed shots. I was using my Nikon 300mm f/2.8 VR II and 70-200mm f/4.0 most of the time. I also used 24-70mm f/2.8 on some shots.

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:14 AM
berenosphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sand Storm

This is an amazing set of photos. I like every single one of them, but the last one is seriously stellar! Hope you did not have too much trouble with sand getting everywhere. I remember a trip in the Sahara, where we camped in the deserts a couple of nights and got stuck in some serious sand storms. It meant lots and lots of sensor cleaning!

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:54 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sand Storm

berenosphoto wrote:
This is an amazing set of photos. I like every single one of them, but the last one is seriously stellar! Hope you did not have too much trouble with sand getting everywhere. I remember a trip in the Sahara, where we camped in the deserts a couple of nights and got stuck in some serious sand storms. It meant lots and lots of sensor cleaning!

Thank you berenosphoto. Yes, the sand got everywhere, my eyes, my mouth (even though I tried to breathe through my house only), and hair. I was changing my lenses inside my car so I didn't get my sensor dirty. I also used a small towel to cover my camera during the shootout. It was a challenge a bit but I was in the moment, didn't care too much about anything but getting a good shot. Also AF wasn't quite working. The camera had hard time finding a hard edge to focus on, because there wasn't any really....

Jun 15, 2014 at 02:16 AM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sand Storm

Wonderful set here, especially 3,4,& 5. I can only imagine what its like to be out there in the desert with all the sand flying around... My closest exp. was at the beach with like 40-50 mph and that nicked up my front element pretty good on my Tamron. Anyways, glad you braved the condition and thanks for sharing.

Charlie

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:03 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sand Storm

Different, interesting and very artistic. Excellent set of images. I'm glad you were able to shoot through the conditions and bring something so good home to the hard drive. Thanks for posting.

Dave

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sand Storm

dalongfellow wrote:
Different, interesting and very artistic. Excellent set of images. I'm glad you were able to shoot through the conditions and bring something so good home to the hard drive. Thanks for posting.

Dave

Thanks dalongfellow,
Here are a couple of more I like. The first one is 7 images blend to get the sun right.

Jun 15, 2014 at 02:34 PM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sand Storm

Greg, The last two you just posted are outstanding. I definitely think they are worthy of their own post. Thanks for sharing regardless.

Charlie

Jun 15, 2014 at 02:41 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sand Storm

#3 wowza! Thats good light

Jun 15, 2014 at 02:45 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sand Storm

All of these are special shots. Very hard to pick a favorite because they are each so unique. However, the last three really shine!
Dave

Jun 15, 2014 at 08:27 PM
Shutterspasms
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sand Storm

This is really an impressive set of photographs! Holy Smokes! Or maybe Holy Sands! And you captured that Holiness beautifully!

Jun 15, 2014 at 08:43 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sand Storm

Shutterspasms wrote:
This is really an impressive set of photographs! Holy Smokes! Or maybe Holy Sands! And you captured that Holiness beautifully!

Thank YOU All.
Here are a couple of more. Again, the first shot is a 7 images blend using Luminosity Masking technique and it looks good to me

Jun 15, 2014 at 09:52 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sand Storm

Wonderful series with a number of strong shots, but #7 is the winner for me.

Jun 16, 2014 at 04:38 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sand Storm

These are very well done, Greg. I'd have a hard time picking between 3&5 for my wall. The both nail the mood and light.

Jun 16, 2014 at 05:47 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sand Storm

psharvic wrote:
These are very well done, Greg. I'd have a hard time picking between 3&5 for my wall. The both nail the mood and light.

Thank you all. Yes, imperial Dunes are great so if you have a chance to go there, don't hesitate!

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:53 PM
pramitmanna
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sand Storm

Epic.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM
s_davin

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sand Storm

This is incredible. That 7 image composite is otherworldly! Such an inspiration, thank you for sharing

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sand Storm

Powerful series Greg! Thanks for sharing!

Jun 17, 2014 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.