Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

I can't seem to get my 90 EX to work as a slave, only as a master and, the manual looks like it only works as a master if I am reading it correctly. Am I? or am I missing something??

Thanks in advance for someone confirming or setting me straight.

Kathy

Jun 14, 2014 at 04:51 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

Kathy -- I believe that's right.

The plus side is that it also acts as an RF master, and not just line-of-sight IR master. So if you have the newest 600EX or RF remotes, you can use this itty-bitty thing on-camera to set off the others.

The 90EX is so anemic, it wouldn't really be a very good remote slave flash.

Jun 14, 2014 at 05:02 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

Yes, I believe you are correct that it cannot be used as a slave. I've used it to trigger 270ex and 600ex flashes, but there doesn't appear to be any way to slave the 90ex itself. It lacks the required detector.

Jun 14, 2014 at 05:08 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

Gunzorro wrote:
Kathy -- I believe that's right.

The plus side is that it also acts as an RF master, and not just line-of-sight IR master. So if you have the newest 600EX or RF remotes, you can use this itty-bitty thing on-camera to set off the others.

No, that's not correct. It uses visible light triggering, not RF. Only the 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT are capable of radio communications in the Canon line-up, but Yongnuo has some RT-compatible gear and is working on more.

Jun 14, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

as mentioned the 90EX is MASTER ONLY . its light based rather than radio (so think 580 ex / ste2 type)
it makes a very good little trigger .

if you want a small slave then look at the 270 ex2

Jun 14, 2014 at 05:21 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

Thanks Very much. I loaned one of mine to my daughter and have never needed this little one before and just wanted to know exactly how to operate it before going out incase I needed it. I have previously just used it as a little on camera flash in my pocket on day trips.

After no luck I read the manual and thought that was what it was saying. I just really thought I had read it worked as a slave when I bought it. No matter, it seems to work just great as a master when I don't have or want to bother with the STE2. Or as backup for the weird battery it uses.

Jun 14, 2014 at 05:28 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
as mentioned the 90EX is MASTER ONLY . its light based rather than radio (so think 580 ex / ste2 type)

Yup, optical line of site - if it was RF I wouldn't have needed my YN-E3-RT!
To this date, Canon only makes 2 devices with Radio Frequency, the ST-E3-RT and the 600EX-RT.
I really got my little 90EX unit to have as a pocket flash (it is better than a pop-up) - or a quick way to trigger another flash optically.

Canon is really starting to tick me off again - they come up with all this great technology and then sit on it not moving forward for what, 2 years? Waiting for Nikon to come along and beat them up. There should have been a trigger system out to work with older flashes, and a 440EX-RT out by now.

Go fig.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

wsheldon wrote:
No, that's not correct. It uses visible light triggering, not RF. Only the 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT are capable of radio communications in the Canon line-up, but Yongnuo has some RT-compatible gear and is working on more.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't have a RF to check it against.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 90 EX Flash ? work only as master?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

Ian, I have the 270 EX 2 and use it as a slave. It's a great little flash.

Gunzorro wrote:

Jim, I really should update my flashes but I haven't.
I need to read up on how the new ones work differently and determine if it's worth it. I've always loved new technology so it's unlike me to put off learning about them at least. I must be getting old.

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.