New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tripod comparison

azurebird

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod comparison

As I wrote yesterday, I am in the hunt for a new tripod to use with my Wimberley and Bigma setup. I think that I have narrowed it down to one of these three tripods, the Benro C2682T, the Induro CT213 and the Feisol 3442. Can't afford a Gitzo and don't want to throw money away.

The Induro is the cheapest (290 at adorama), feisol probably has the best reviews and the Benro has a V2 ballhead that I don't need but might come in handy in my studio/gallery. I am not sure if I need the center column or not, extra on the feisol, not sure if there would be an additional stability issue with the Wimberley.

I think anyone of these would be good. I am 5'11". I shoot a lot of raptors, but mostly from the side of the road. Travel weight is an issue, the wimberley and sigma 50-500mm are already a beast.

I would love to get opinions on these particular tripods or perhaps a recommendation of something else to check out.

Robert Sommers

Edited on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod comparison

I wouldn't bother with a full Wimberley for a small tele zoom like the 50-500. If you have a ball head then a Sidekick should be fine and may save some weight.

Although not a true gimbal, I've been very satisfied with the Markins BVQ20 (Q20i w/BV-22) when weight is important.

EBH

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM
azurebird

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod comparison

I already own the Wimberley. I like to shoot Yellowstone and the Tetons and wanted something that would be smooth. I carried the Sigma and monopod on my shoulder for five hours the week before last at the San Diego Zoo and it is still killing me. Definitely not light, at least for an old guy like me.

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM
mine1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod comparison

remember the benro with the v2 ball head is much more expensive than the one with the b1 head. I don't think that the v2 head is 100 bucks better than the b1 (neither get very good reviews) if you are going to buy the benro don't buy it from the US (it seem's to only be worth it at the oversea's prices I linked before. reason being is that for the cost in the us you can get the feisol which is considered to be the better pod.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM
gcuff
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod comparison

Induro have 20% off on some models

Jun 14, 2014 at 09:33 PM
azurebird

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod comparison

actually 25%. really a tough choice...

Jun 14, 2014 at 09:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.