Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

wswartzwel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

This was shot from the Irwin viewpoint At Linville Falls North Carolina. Wife and I spent a few days there to enjoy the local roads on my motorcycle, as well as some hiking, and sight seeing. Comments are always welcome, and thanks for looking.

Edit: After getting advice to repair this image for the halos, as well as, some other tips offline from members. I have made some changes. Criticism, and suggestions are appreciated.

Linville Falls

Linville Falls edited

Edited on Jun 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2014 at 09:20 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

Nice composition. I love the lingering low cloud. Looks like some halo effect over the distant ridges, which is a bit distracting.

Phil

Jun 14, 2014 at 01:03 AM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

Thanks Phil,
I must have gone blind, that is pretty obvious. Not sure how I missed that. I am printing for a friend, so I will get that fixed.

Jun 14, 2014 at 07:51 AM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

I have edited this image per suggestions here, as well as PM's. Please take a minute to comment if you would.

Thanks,
Bill

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

Hey Bill,

Nice work with the edits, I like the look of it all except for the one low cloud in the valley. It now looks blown out, but the look it had in your original was really cool. You might also want to darken the bits of cloud showing through the tree branches just a little bit more.

Jim

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:56 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

I would add to Jim's suggestions the water issue, it looks unrealistically white and too much sat...

Andrey

Jun 24, 2014 at 05:42 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

I prefer the original image to the edited version largely because of the blown highlights and the severe over saturation of the edited version. Stick with the original but bring out the sky subtly in it.

Jun 24, 2014 at 07:41 AM
jph1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

I also prefer the original. Nice capture!

Jun 24, 2014 at 09:33 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

+1 to the original. The cloud in middle is blown out in the second and there is too much contrast in the landscape which take away from the nice mood in the iamge. The first needs just a little contrast/+ exposure in the sky IMHO.

BTW, did you clone out the upper clouds in the second image because they don't seem to match?

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

I like the sky and the waterfall better in the original.

I like the foreground trees in the edit better, but the waterfall is definitely too hot.

Maybe time to play around with overlaying multiple images in PS.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Linville Falls NC. (Edit)

hijazist wrote:
+1 to the original. The cloud in middle is blown out in the second and there is too much contrast in the landscape which take away from the nice mood in the iamge. The first needs just a little contrast/+ exposure in the sky IMHO.

BTW, did you clone out the upper clouds in the second image because they don't seem to match?

I should have reused my initial PS edits, but instead I started from scratch… 2 files one for the sky, and one for the foreground. I grabbed the wrong sky file (shot a few minutes earlier I think) last night, and didn't notice it till this morning after looking at my post.

Now to go back and find my original psd files, and just make the corrections that everyone here has recommended.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone.

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.