New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · File numbering for Wedding gallery

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · File numbering for Wedding gallery

I have a question about file numbering for uploading to my website. Last weekend I was the primary photographer at a wedding using two Nikon bodies, and I had a secondary photographer using one Canon body. Consequently I have images with three different file numbering parameters. For presentation purposes I am not necessarily uploading the images in sequential/time order. I have organized the images into the order into which I want them uploaded using a free organizer called FastStone.

However, when I go to upload them the images are now sorted by file number instead of the way I arranged them. I can re-name them so that they would upload in the order that I want them to. However, the original file name is lost which would make it harder for me to find the original later on.

How do the professional wedding photographers handle this? (I decided not to post this in the Wedding forum because I have a very wide variety of galleries on my website to which this issue might apply).

Jun 13, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · File numbering for Wedding gallery

See if this link helps:

http://www.imagingtips.com/faststone/sorting/0100sorting.shtml

You need to follow the instructions to the letter in step 5 so that the renaming uses your custom sort order from within FastStone. It will change the filenames to a sequence number followed by the original filename.

I would do this to a a duplicate folder of the files so I could get back to me originals if I wanted to.

Jun 14, 2014 at 07:58 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · File numbering for Wedding gallery

Thank you very much. I will try this first on one of my non-important photo folders.

Jun 14, 2014 at 09:04 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · File numbering for Wedding gallery

I tried what you suggested but it looks like the program algorithm has changed. The version that the user had was version 3.6 whereas we are now up to v5.1. Now it looks like the original file numbers get lost and you wind up with Image001, Image002 and so on.

Jun 14, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · File numbering for Wedding gallery

Works fine for me using v5.1.

You need to use the appropriate wildcard characters in the field where it says "Template". Use something like "###0*" where the # signs are digits of the sequence number, 0 is to add an extra zero digit in case you want to insert files in the sequence later, and * is replaced with the original filename.

You must have the files in your custom order and then use Tools>Batch Rename Selected Images. Make sure "Sort Files By" is set to "No sort".

Jun 14, 2014 at 07:56 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · File numbering for Wedding gallery

Thanks, let me give it another try. I made a new template ###0* and that seemed to work. I hadn't realized, until you explained it, that I could create a new template. I thought I had to use one of the default templates.

Thanks

Jun 14, 2014 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.