New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cheeky Child

Scot S.

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheeky Child

My first post on the people board (normally wouldn't want to dilute the great work here with my snappy snaps). This shot of my youngest 6-year-old is interesting to me because it almost didn't make it off the card and, with a little processing, quite expresses his often too cheeky personality.

http://www.scotsmith.net/pictures/B&L/cheeky-960.jpg

My boys were running around the house before swim lessons, trunks and goggles on ready to go. I wanted to snap a quick headshot so grabbed my camera and slapped on a newly acquired Neewer TTL flash ( haven't used auto flash or on camera flash in over 10 years). This was the first shot to see if the flash worked.

I then rattled off a few more snaps of both boys individually; they wanted their usual shot together but I couldn't comply since the 1.5 foot wide fridge door was the backdrop. Here are the shots I ended up with, splicing and printing as one 8x18 inch print. I think I like it because it is different from my usual snap, having always avoided the head-on flash.

http://www.scotsmith.net/pictures/B&L/goggles-960.jpg

Jun 13, 2014 at 01:49 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheeky Child

welcome to the people forum. I agree the first does express character! Maybe a tad bit pull back on the brightness of his nose. Nice work Scot.
Douglas

Jun 13, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Scot S.

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheeky Child

Thank you Douglas. Very good suggestion; the nose is definitely 2-D/washed out as it is. Also, I forgot to mention that the flash had a 6x8 softbox affixed.

Jun 13, 2014 at 04:19 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheeky Child

The first one is a really interesting shot. I think too often we try not to create shadows at all with our flash and you can really get creative with shadows, even when they're happy accidents. The second shot is just adorable. Two really fun boys you have there! Great job!

Jun 14, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheeky Child

I like that first one ... and the right half of the 2nd shot. The left half of the 2nd would work well if we could see his left eye.

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Scot S.

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheeky Child

You are probably right about the eye. I just think of him as a pirate.

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:49 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheeky Child

Don't ever be shy posting here. Your shots will be commented on (not judged) with the goal of providing feedback that will help you. The posts of others - how good or bad they might be - are not relevant to your shots.

What I noticed in both of your shots is the high angle of the main lighting. It puts shadows on the main parts of the eyes (#1) and shades part of the eyes (#2).

I also noticed good expression in each of your shots.

Jun 15, 2014 at 03:21 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheeky Child

fun fotos !

Jun 16, 2014 at 04:56 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.