New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Impact damage?!

treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Impact damage?!

Okay, sent my D7000 in on 6/5. I took pictures of it before I sent it out. It was apparent to me that the shutter just crapped out or it was stuck open...whatever. My repair estimate goes from $236 to $468. They claim the sensor was damaged due to IMPACT DAMAGE/USER DAMAGE. OMG....I thought this would never happen to me. I asked for images of the "damage" to be sent to me. I had to approve the repair.....what good is a dead D7000 to me? I was floored by the attitude of the person I spoke with on the phone and then the attitude of the next person I spoke with. No, I am not going to sell my Nikon gear and go to Canon....I guess I am just floored that I have become a victim of the "impact damage" excuse. I can get a mint D7000 for $500!

Jun 13, 2014 at 08:45 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Impact damage?!

And Nikon's saga continues......

So sorry my friend. Fight'em tooth and nail.

Jun 13, 2014 at 08:51 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Impact damage?!

What kind of photos did they send you to prove impact damage? Agree with John.. Fight it. Was the sensor scratched? How did the damaged sensor cause the mirror to fail? What BS.

Jun 13, 2014 at 08:56 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Impact damage?!

They are sending me images to show the damage. I know how to ship a camera so I am sure it was not damaged in transit. Long story short.....I took 2 images and both had a black "thing" across the frame when i reviewed the images. The next shot I took felt weird...as if the shutter either broke or was stuck somehow. I put it in my bad and sent it out 3 days later. It was received on 6/5. They are basically claiming that the sensor was damaged due to user damage/impact damage...whatever you want to call it. I had no problems with the sensor prior to those 2 shots. It's just sad that they have to do this....why?

Jun 13, 2014 at 09:12 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Impact damage?!

That's terrible. Eventually people are going to start shying away from Nikon if they think service is going to be an issue. Just ask GM of the 80s...

Jun 13, 2014 at 09:39 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Impact damage?!

Sorry to hear. And I agree, it's also the attitude when you speak with their representatives. For many of us, switching is not a realistic choice for several reasons.

Jun 13, 2014 at 09:44 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Impact damage?!

It's just very disheartening to have this happen. It's not like I have $20,000 worth of gear.....but the gear I have is important to me, I guess it's not important to Nikon.

Jun 13, 2014 at 09:48 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Impact damage?!

Here's my take on "impact damage" which, by the way, seems to occasionally be an issue at both Canon and Nikon service centers (the grass is no greener on the other side). Also I am not suggesting any of this happened to you specifically, but just in general, think of all the possibilities (hypothetical of course) that could happen to anyone:

- Impact damage could EASILY happen while shipping the lens to/from the service center. I believe this would be the #1 cause for actual impact damage. I know several people working for couriers and I can tell you for sure they do not care in the slightest about that 'fragile' sticker you stuck on the box or whatever else. Boxes also toss and tumble around in the truck, conveyor belts, planes, etc. Maybe you packed your camera amazingly well, but maybe the UPS guy dropped it onto concrete from up high, and you'd never know. There is no way anyone could possibly know 100% for sure it was not damaged in transit. That is a risk you take when you ship anything.

- Lots of people have kids, pets, etc. and you aren't watching your camera the entire time while it's at home in storage. Any number of things could happen. Say, for example, your kid takes the camera out to show his friends 'dads awesome professional camera' when you aren't home, accidentally drops it and doesn't think anything of it. I've done things like that when I was a child.

- Based on my own personal observations and travels, a lot of people handle their cameras ROUGH. They toss them in bags not designed for cameras, they let them dangle around their necks and bump into things while they are doing something else, they handle them with sunscreen/bug spray all over themselves (DEET, by the way, removes labeling and paint), etc. DSLRs are full of tiny, delicate parts. I was at Disney World last month and the amount of people bringing DSLRs on rides was surprising. Their camera bag lying at their feet getting smashed around as the ride did various things. One lady in particular even had her DSLR out on a relatively tame roller coaster taking pictures behind her of her kids, and I watched as her camera bounced off the metal handle of the seat behind her time after time. After the ride, she tossed her camera back in her purse without even thinking about it.

- Maybe that overhead compartment your camera bag was in on your last flight got a good whack during turbulence, or maybe the person who put his bag in after you paid little attention to your camera bag as he stuffed his giant hard-case carry on on top of it. You would get off the plane, collect your things, and be none the wiser.

Again, I am just thinking of things that could possibly happen, I'm not accusing you or anyone else of anything. I'm sure sometimes Nikon calls damage "impact damage" when the cause was something else, but I also believe that some people have legitimate impact damage even when they think they do not. I'm not trying to defend Nikon necessarily, but a quick look at the forums (all of them not just FM) and people seem to think anytime Nikon says "impact damage" there is a 0% chance it was somehow their fault, even unknowingly, and that Nikon is trying to screw them any which way they can. I suspect the truth is far less one sided than that, even if the odd person does get an unfair diagnosis every now and then.

Anyway, I hope you get your issue resolved, one way or another. It will be interesting to see what images they send to prove what they think is impact damage. I would be fighting it as well if I were you, regardless, if I believed it was not my fault. My point is just that anytime someone makes a thread about impact damage, there is a knee jerk reaction to blame Nikon and talk about how disappointing their service is, and I don't think that's completely fair, especially with how many happy customers you never hear from.

Edited on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Impact damage?!

Welcome to the club, I had impact damage on my relatively new D800. Still upsets me to think about it. I could switch, but Canon doesn't offer anything that I can afford/features I want in my price range.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Impact damage?!

CanadaMark wrote:
Here's my take on "impact damage" which, by the way, seems to occasionally be an issue at both Canon and Nikon service centers (the grass is no greener on the other side). Also I am not suggesting any of this happened to you specifically, but just in general, think of all the possibilities (hypothetical of course) that could happen to anyone:

- Impact damage could EASILY happen while shipping the lens to/from the service center. I believe this would be the #1 cause for actual impact damage. I know several people working for couriers and I can tell you for sure
...Show more

I hear what you are saying and I agree with you. However,it's become an excuse to either charge extra or to get out of fixing something that's within warranty. I guess I'll have to rethink my strategy on how I carry my gear around.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Impact damage?!

Happened to me. APS couldn't do work on the D800 autofocus system so I had to send it to Nikon. 9 weeks later, 3rd visit back and my camera is still not fixed. I called APS and now they can work on D800s. I should have waited.
I only have one experience with Canon repair and it was not good either. Sent in my 5D with 85mm 1.2 for backfocus. Couple weeks later they sent back the 5d. Nobody had any record of the 85 being checked in. Finally they shipped it back. Except they shipped back an 85mm 1.8. They said they shipped my 85 1.2 to someone else and couldn't get a hold of him to send it back. I finally got my lens back after lots and lots of phone calls.
If you can work with APS or a local repair shop, do it.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Impact damage?!

treebeard wrote:
I hear what you are saying and I agree with you. However,it's become an excuse to either charge extra or to get out of fixing something that's within warranty. I guess I'll have to rethink my strategy on how I carry my gear around.

To reiterate once more, I am not accusing you or anyone else specifically of anything, I was just thinking of how many different things could happen to people without it even crossing their mind. I think it's unfair to assume 100% of the time that "impact damage" is a money grab, scam, excuse, etc. on Nikon's part. I also think it's equally unreasonable to carry your camera around in a protection bubble all the time haha, so there has to be a happy medium somewhere, or you'll never use the damn thing . Anyway, again, I am sorry for your issue and I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Impact damage?!

I'm personally hoping that there's another class action lawsuit - this time for "Impact Damage" claims, so Nikon will stop this shit once and for all.
I have run commercial photo studios in NY for years, have sent Canon cameras for repairs many times - not once have I gotten an unfair assessment. Nor has Canon ever attempted to cancel my warranty (as Nikon does in many of these Impact Damage cases.)
Please Nikon, pull yourself together before it is too late.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Impact damage?!

Here we go again! This is a shame! What we have here is just another example of Nikon Corporation's cognative dissonance. I hope you are successful in fighting this BS. Insist
on them returning any damaged parts that they claim they replaced. I just have one question for you. Why did you send it there in the first place?

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Impact damage?!

CanadaMark wrote:
To reiterate once more, I am not accusing you or anyone else specifically of anything, I was just thinking of how many different things could happen to people without it even crossing their mind. I think it's unfair to assume 100% of the time that "impact damage" is a money grab, scam, excuse, etc. on Nikon's part. I also think it's equally unreasonable to carry your camera around in a protection bubble all the time haha, so there has to be a happy medium somewhere, or you'll never use the damn thing . Anyway, again, I am sorry for your
...Show more

I know you are not accusing me or pointing the finger at me..your post makes alot of sense. I understand gear can get damaged but look at the percentage of Nikon users who send their stuff in and get the "impact damage" excuse...it's way to high. I guess I am just venting...tonight I will go shoot a graduation with my D600 and D7100 and I will forget all about it for the time being. I am too busy enjoying my new MacBook Pro anyways!

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Impact damage?!

I think one of the main issues (at least for me) is that even when a Canon has had *real* impact damage (yes, cameras do get knocked and dropped) **Canon does not cancel the warranty.**
They simply fix it at a good price, and fast. And ship it back to you overnight. End of story. The warranty lasts for a year in all cases. (except maybe water damage.)

Why does a pro camera company (Nikon!) cancel a warranty just because a professional camera has seen some use?!? This is a real WTF which Nikon had better deal with before Canon comes out with a better sensor and people like me stop purchasing Nikon altogether.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Impact damage?!

So sorry about all of this. Hopefully it gets repaired properly.

Birdie

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Impact damage?!

tree, next time you call, ask to speak to the manager. In a calm, yet firm tone, explain to him/her that this impact damage BS is getting out of hand, and has become a popular worldwide catchphrase associated with NIKON in online photo communities. Tell them you just will not tolerate that attitude anymore. They get away with it because people cave in and pay anyway. Take your camera and send it to APS or KEH. It'll probably be cheaper too.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM
dhou

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Impact damage?!

Why does Nikon cancel the warranty when there is impact damage? Especially when you are having them evaluate and fix the camera directly? Does not seem particularly customer friendly especially when we are often talking about such high cost pieces of equipment!

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Impact damage?!

DontShoot wrote:
tree, next time you call, ask to speak to the manager. In a calm, yet firm tone, explain to him/her that this impact damage BS is getting out of hand, and has become a popular worldwide catchphrase associated with NIKON in online photo communities. Tell them you just will not tolerate that attitude anymore. They get away with it because people cave in and pay anyway. Take your camera and send it to APS or KEH. It'll probably be cheaper too.

I did almost exactly as you have mentioned. I told him this was a worldwide epidemic and that I knew several photographer that I've sent and practically brand new cameras in warranty and are being told that the issues had to do with impact damage. My camera is just sitting there right now as I debated what to do

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.