New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Personal work - Film

Prettym1k3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Personal work - Film

I had a wedding in late May and the couple just had this vibe about them. So I offered to bring some of my film cameras. I loaded up my Mamiya 645 AF-D, my F100, and my FG, and took them out. When the wedding was over and I went to send in the film, I realized I had at least another 5-6 rolls left over, some of them from as far back as my sister's wedding in 2012.

Shameless plug for Richard Photo Lab in Hollywood because my scans and prints always come back absolutely brilliant from those guys.

Anyway, here's a few randoms in the life of, well... me. And my son. And my wife. And some friends. Completely straight out of the lab - no post processing at all. At least not digitally.

And here's two from the wedding:

Edited on Jun 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2014 at 03:37 PM
howephillip

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Personal work - Film

The look in #1 & #2 are awesome! Love the washed look.

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:29 PM
rcteague

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Personal work - Film

Great shots

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:32 PM
rcteague

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Personal work - Film

Great shots

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:32 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Personal work - Film

Very nice. 1 & 2 are my favs as well, although there are some great slices of life in others. It's refreshing to see photos of real families doing real family things.

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:43 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Personal work - Film

Good stuff!! The kids face in 6 and 13 are both awesome. And yes RPL is consistently amazing.

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:23 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Personal work - Film

dmacmillan wrote:
Very nice. 1 & 2 are my favs as well, although there are some great slices of life in others. It's refreshing to see photos of real families doing real family things.

well said and couldnt agree more.

Love this set man!

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Personal work - Film

These are really great. Wish my only film camera wasn't broken!

And the wedding shots - truly beautiful.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Personal work - Film

Thanks guys! Now when we head to San Francisco, or Santa Cruz, or something, I always bring a film camera. I slow down, don't worry about taking 100 pictures, and just take a few. Plus, a roll of film builds up and you end up with 2-3 weekend days of random shots.

I'm trying to shoot more film these days. I'm so inspired by the natural. Zalmyb, you're part of that inspiration with your beautiful images you capture in random day-to-day moments. Kids skipping, their shadows dancing, etc.

On the note of normal life - we hardly live that way. I work 55-80 hours per work on average. 40 at my day job. The rest through photography. On an average week I do 20-25 hours of photography work or more. But when it's family time, it's family time. I'm invested in my son, my wife. I do my best to put my phone down. And oddly enough, picking up an old film camera is never a distraction like a phone or a digital camera.

It's funny how that works.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM
justineisner

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Personal work - Film

Very nice shots.

Jun 13, 2014 at 01:14 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Personal work - Film

Good stuff! Can I ask what you used for color and BW film? I am thinking about dipping my toes in the film water... Probably something cheap medium format if I did.

Ditto on Zalmy's inspiriation.

Jun 13, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Personal work - Film

benee wrote:
Good stuff! Can I ask what you used for color and BW film? I am thinking about dipping my toes in the film water... Probably something cheap medium format if I did.

Ditto on Zalmy's inspiriation.

My go to color films are Portra 160 and 400 for daylight, and Portra 400 and 800 for evening. I've also played with a little Fuji, but not much. I just love the skin tones of Portra.

Jun 14, 2014 at 09:14 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Personal work - Film

Michael,
I find myself just up the road from you this week. I really like this neck of the woods.

Your remarks about slowing down with a film camera makes sense. If you really want to get contemplative, try large format view camera work! Setup takes so long that you need to have a clear idea in mind before you begin. I've seen some areas between the coast and the Sonoma valley that make me wish I had my Sinar and a month to play.

Jun 14, 2014 at 09:43 AM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Personal work - Film

Mike, 1 and 2 are just stunning. I really like the shot of you and your son!

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Personal work - Film

dmacmillan wrote:
Michael,
I find myself just up the road from you this week. I really like this neck of the woods.

Your remarks about slowing down with a film camera makes sense. If you really want to get contemplative, try large format view camera work! Setup takes so long that you need to have a clear idea in mind before you begin. I've seen some areas between the coast and the Sonoma valley that make me wish I had my Sinar and a month to play.

What part of the area will you be in? Unfortunately, I'm headed to Southern California Thursday for a few days with the family.

I've thought about large format, but ultimately my "slow time" with film is so few and far between these days, that I doubt I'd have time to take a large format camera out and truly shoot it. Plus, by the time I got to that place in life, I'd like to learn to develop my own film as well.

Medium format Mamiya goodness will have to suffice... for now.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.