FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

Wingspar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

These are some photos of a very remote lake that is at the end of a rugged 2 hour drive on logging roads and unimproved roads. It is rare to see people there, but it is a popular spot with the locals during the summer. In 2002 we had a 640,000+ acre fire that burned for months. This lake was caught in the fire. These are 3 photos I’ve put together. I think the first two were taken with a Nikon Coolpix and the last one was taken this week with my Nikon D800.

I didn’t have these old photos with me, so I did the best I could to try and duplicate the shots from 2002. The red arrows point to the same tree.

First photo was taken in June 2002 about a month before the fire.

Second photo was taken in November 2002 about a month after the fire.

Third photo was taken this week.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/156052622/original.jpg

Jun 12, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

Fascinating. The forest will repair itself, though not necessarily in our lifetime.

Jun 12, 2014 at 01:29 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

Jeffrey wrote:
Fascinating. The forest will repair itself, though not necessarily in our lifetime.

Yep, it's all part of the natural process. There have been some large fires in the Canadian Rockies and even though it is sad to see beautiful trees burned, the landscape develops a real beauty of it's own as it reclaims back the burnt forest.

Jun 12, 2014 at 04:56 PM
danthebiker
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

Nature does not repair these types of fires. Upper crown fires are not natural. The forest is meant to have mature stands of trees that are very large and very fireproof. Fires are a very natural and good thing for a healthy forest, but due to over harvesting and lots of years of fire suppression that chokes the forest with highly flammable scrub brush and non mature second growth, the forest is destroyed. Such a bummer.

Jun 12, 2014 at 06:35 PM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

Jeffrey wrote:

The Forrest is not better when it is green or lush. Fire, cyclical in nature, is normal.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Jun 12, 2014 at 06:58 PM
wolfcreek

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

Nice documentary piece....

Jun 13, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fire Before, After and 12 Years Later

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Chuck

Jun 13, 2014 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.