New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Generic Battery Chargers

kymira

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Generic Battery Chargers

Hi

I misplaced my LP-E6 charger today and I don't feel like paying a premium for a canon branded one. Ive had good experiences in the past w/ generic batteries (LP-E8) for my rebel but Ive never bought a generic charger.

Do they work just as efficiently ?

Jun 12, 2014 at 06:29 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Generic Battery Chargers

I have a generic as an extra when traveling - perfectly fine.

Jun 12, 2014 at 06:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Generic Battery Chargers

Personally I'd get the canon one .

But if I was looking for a non canon option I'd be looking at something that gave added usability rather than a cheap knock off .

I have seen some dual chargers that can also plug into a 12v source .

Even then I think id still want the canon charger as well

Jun 12, 2014 at 06:59 AM
kymira

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Generic Battery Chargers

thanks for your input guys. A dual version does sound appealing. I guess I'll have to weigh it out and be mindful of reviews.

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:01 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Generic Battery Chargers

kymira wrote:
thanks for your input guys. A dual version does sound appealing. I guess I'll have to weigh it out and be mindful of reviews.

I've had this one for about 3 years and it works great. Nice thing about it is that you can get inserts for a great number of different camera batteries.....

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoPro-Charger-Canon-Camera-Batteries/dp/B007109ZA8

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:28 AM
kymira

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Generic Battery Chargers

pKai wrote:
I've had this one for about 3 years and it works great. Nice thing about it is that you can get inserts for a great number of different camera batteries.....

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoPro-Charger-Canon-Camera-Batteries/dp/B007109ZA8

Huh that's a pretty cool device. I like how it has a usb port aswell. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Generic Battery Chargers

Best advice- use Canon chargers for Canon batteries, and use third-party chargers with third-party batteries, preferably ones that come bundled with the third-party batteries from the same company.

You can charge the Canon batteries in third-party chargers successfully most of the time, however, putting third-party batteries in Canon chargers subjects you to the same possible problems that can be encountered when using third-party batteries in Canon cameras, i.e., they may not like each other, or may refuse to work together at all.

Note that you can usually get two decent third-party batteries and a charger in a bundle for less than the price of one Canon battery by itself, and as long as the battery is listed to work with your camera, you're usually fine. Just know that future updates to camera firmware and future cameras may require updated third-party batteries at some point in order to regain full functionality (battery metering in camera), or to work at all, in extreme cases. Canon likes their margins on accessories.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.