Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

Borrowing this Yashica MAT-124G has definitely piqued my interest in MF film shooting.

I've kind of looked around at the various cheaper options in MF setups and I was wondering if there is anyone who has experience on several systems could maybe lay out some comparisons of them. Interested in overall experience (functionally, aesthetically and psychologically) as well as the results.

Some of the ones that I've noticed so far that are low cost are the Yashica, the Bronica ETRS system and the Pentax 645. Would love to hear about options besides those.

From what I've seen Mamiya, Contax, Rollei and Hasselblad are all getting into more than I want to spend right now.

Thanks!

Brad

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

You should specify perhaps what your goals are. MF cameras are all over the place. Also, what is your budget limit?

If you want ultra simplicity, a Fujifilm GA645 gives you maximum portability along with point and shoot simplicity. It is really one glorious p & s camera. Autofocus, auto exposure, with built in flash, a blazing sharp lens, auto film winder. It used to be a $1400 camera but you can find excellent examples for $400 or so.

The lens is not changeable so you have to be happy with a 35mm or so eq. For a bit more, maybe $600 or so, you can get a zoom lens version.

If you want manual focus, there are some older Fujifilm 645 cameras, both folding and non folding. They should be under $400 easily.

Suggest you head over to www.apug.org and ask there. You will be literally buried in suggestions.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

Right now looking at basic setups for around $250 or less. The Bronica and Yashicas seem to be an option in that price range from what I've seen.

Thanks.
Brad

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:58 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

What type of camera do you want ? There are TLRs like the Yashica you borrowed, there are 645/6x6/6x7 SLRs, rangefinders like the Mamiya 7 ($$$$$), folders, etc. They are also completely different shooting experiences, a 645 will handle pretty much like a big digital/35mm SLR with prism and winder, a 6x6/6x7 like a Hasselblad can work either from waist level or with prism. A folder is another thing altogether.

Generally a Bronica will be the cheapest option in any of the SLR categories from the mainstream brands (Bronica, Pentax, Mamiya and Hasselblad). However you may be able to find an older Mamiya 645 system (sorry, never used them so I can't say which one) and you may even be able to stretch to a basic RB67 kit (but try to find at least a ProS body, not the plain one). I have a RB67 ProSD and it is a wonderful camera producing glorious 6x7 negatives. Heavy but once you get used to it it can easily work as a walk around camera (I do use it as such).

For your budget you should easily be able to get one of the Mamiya TLRs too although my knowledge of models/lenses of them is zero.

One thing to beware is that the cheapest setup may not necessarily be the best choice as you may end up having to pay for a service soon after buying. In any case, you'll probably have to service it at some point sooner or later unless you plan to buy, use for 6 months to see if you like then sell to the next person.

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:38 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

I had a Bronica ETR setup for quite a while and although the lenses were good I had problems with reliability, probably even worse now; bad aperture in a lens, several backs that would periodically not advance the film (or partially advance), auto prism that had connection problems.

An advantage of the Pentax 645 is that the lenses will be compatible with the 645D and Z bodies should you ever decide to step up to digital MF.

Edited on Jun 12, 2014 at 08:13 AM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2014 at 03:01 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

For $200, I'd stick with 35mm film.

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:58 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

At the very least I think I'll at least stick with some flavor of TLR. Seems to be plenty to be found in my $250 price range.

brad

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:20 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

I loved my Mamiya C330 - worth a look.

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:31 AM
renowood
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

It depends what your shooting? For landscape +1 for the Mamiya RB67 Pro S. I got the camera, 3 backs with 3 lenses for $250. Watch Craigslist.

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:41 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

Minolta autocord is in that price range and Anda fantastic little TLR. I just sold my etrs Bronica and never had an issue with it. I I would recommend venturing beyond the standard 75mm lens though. It was my worst performer...

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:42 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Various cheaper medium format setups compared?

The Yashica MAT 124G is actually one of the best offerings in that price range. It's a bit simpler than most Rolleiflexes but it is reliable and has very good optics. The camera performs comparable to a Rolleicord / Rolleiflex with Tessar lens or an older type with 3.5 Planar lens.

In TLR there are just a few other comparable cameras like the Minolta Autocord. The Mamiya's C with interchangeable lenses are more versatile for creative use of short tele- or wide angle lenses that can be had a bargain prices nowadays. You should however not underestimate the huge size and heavy weight. Especially the C330 is a clunky piece of metal and hardly a pleasant all round camera. It's good in the studio but I always started to hate the size and weight after a few hours carrying around the thing. Even though the optics and image quality were amazing.

I would definitely pick a nice Rolleiflex if possible for the budget. My all time favourite TLR camera. If you are able to raise your budget, have a look at SLR Hasselblad gear. It was the top of the hill in film era and still is very good. But since every photographer went digital the stuff has dropped in prices. Not at 250$ though.

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:50 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.