FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

Taken this past weekend in New Hampshire’s Franconia Notch State Park along the Pemigewasset River, just above the famous Basin, is this lovely little falls. A7r with OM 21mm with a 4:5 crop.

Dave

http://www.pbase.com/dbehrens/image/156073375/original.jpg

Jun 11, 2014 at 09:36 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

Love it, has a feel of raw wilderness.

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:07 AM
danthebiker
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

I like the location and the composition, but I would like to see something done differently with the water. Either speed up the shutter and freeze it a little more or slow it way down. I think this image would look really good at about 2 or 3 seconds.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

Very cool water fall. I too would love to see a slightly longer shutter. A little more "pop" would be nice too but it looks very natural as is in overcast skies.

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:46 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

I know that little waterfall well Dave, nicely done. Did you stay in the Basin area or did you get a chance to hike along the Cascade Brook Trail?

Mike

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

Hey Dave,

It looks like a cool area there. I agree a longer shutter speed would really help this. You look to be shooting it that "no Man's land" shutter speed as I call it. I have found that most waterfalls you can shoot very fast 1/250th on up, or slow as 1/5th of a sec and slower. And either look can be really cool. But if you get stuck in the middle the water isn't quite sharp, and the water isn't quite silky, and the look really ends up looking messy if you will.

Also, I would see if you could move to the right more and get the waterfall itself off the right side? The large open area on the left side of the image feels kind of dead.

Jim

Jun 13, 2014 at 01:21 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Falls on the Pemigewasset

Thanks for the comments.

Jim, et al - I broke one of my own cardinal rules - - I left my tripod in the car instead of taking it with me. So yes - in hindsight - I should of done this proper with a series of shutter speeds from about 1/15 and slower.

Mike - we did not hike the Cascade Brook Trail as this was just an en route stop.

Scott - wish I could get more pop on rocks, etc. I'm guessing the cloudy sky had the light too flat.

Dave

Jun 13, 2014 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.