New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

mmarconi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

Bit if background. My daughter is living in Europe for at least another 14 months. Recently had her camera and lenses stolen. She had a D60, 40mm f2.8 marco and a 18-105 VR. The 40 was her favorite lens by far, I think it was mostly because of it's size and weight. Looking at her pics she used it roughly 75% of the time (rarely as macro).

Her type of photography is travel, architecture (her favorite), some street and quite a bit of indoor (little to no flash). When traveling she writes reviews of micro/craft beers and breweries in Europe, these often require indoor pic's that will end up on web.

I'm looking to replace her equipment. Would like to stay at ~$500 give or take a little. My first thought was to get her a refurbished D5100 and 35mm f1.8 DX. I have an Nikon 16-85 VR that I would also send.

I know she would love a smaller/lighter setup so have been looking at V1 with 10-30mm which I can get cheap, add a refurbed 30-110mm and 10mm f2.8 and still pretty close to budget.

My questions for those that have used the V1 are;

1. How are they in low light, IQ and AF wise.
2. What is usable max ISO
3. How responsive is the camera, startup, AF etc.
4. Is the EVF good, she prefers the view finder over the LCD.

Feel free to raise any issues/concerns on the V1 I haven't thought of.

Thanks for the help, Mike

Jun 11, 2014 at 08:19 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

Well I have been enjoying my V1 but to your questions -

1)Not so great in low light compared to current DX and FX bodies.
2)So far I like to keep iso as low as possible, under 800
3)Camera is pretty responsive but very few on body controls, so frequent menu diving is the story - although the menus are not too deep, easy to learn your way around
4)The EVF is semi usable but it's a tiny thing, I'm sure it would be considered poor these days given what I've heard about examples like the Fuji x-t1

I'm disappointed in the 10-30 and 30-110 zooms' IQ, like the 10 better and like the FT-1 adapter with real SLR glass on it even better.

It's a neat little camera and I'm looking forward to doing some time lapse and video stuff, but for low light and architecture I wouldn't want it to be my only option. Would like to try the wide zoom though, have heard it's better than the other two.

Jun 11, 2014 at 08:34 PM
subidiom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

Personally, I think the V1 is at least as good as the D60 for most of your dimensions. Big difference would be in DOF isolation due to the sensor size. On the plus side, size, weight, focus speed and video are all improvements.

I would think the V1 Kit and the 18.5mm f/1.8 would be a great setup for her and you could probably get the combo used for less than $350.

Jun 11, 2014 at 08:39 PM
jeffryscott
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

What about a Fuji xe-1 with 18-55? Not far off budget and probably a step up IQ-wise.

That said I just picked up a V1 kit with 10-30 and 30-100 and am very pleased with it for a travel kit. For a low light travel kit the 10 and 18 would be very good options and would likely serve your daughter well in those situations. For web and small prints the V1 high ISO is quite adequate.

The EVF in the V1 is very good, my only complaint is the mandatory image review.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

I second the vote for the fuji . I think she would get a lot more usable shots with it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

subidiom wrote:
Personally, I think the V1 is at least as good as the D60 for most of your dimensions. Big difference would be in DOF isolation due to the sensor size. On the plus side, size, weight, focus speed and video are all improvements.

I would think the V1 Kit and the 18.5mm f/1.8 would be a great setup for her and you could probably get the combo used for less than $350.

Exactly my idea.
I use the 10-100 zoom most of the time, but this would exceed your budget.

2.8 on DX is about the same DOF as 1.8 on CX.

Jun 12, 2014 at 01:54 AM
mmarconi
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions, very helpful perspectives.

I ended up buying a refurbished V1 kit and 18mm f1.8 lens from Adorama. In the end price and size won out.

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:34 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

Love the FT1 adapter with my 50 1.4 lens on my v1

Jun 12, 2014 at 07:42 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

Nikon 1 Opinion: Over priced! Otherwise, looks like it might be a great system.

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:30 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for Nikon 1 opinions

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1298027

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.