New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Lotusm50
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Looks bigger than I expected -- bigger than I've come to expect for a mirrorless APS-c camera.
http://youtu.be/t2oLt5H4rwY

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:22 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Other than the "hand-crafted Al-block" and the strap attachment, I didn't see anything new here....c'on APS-C, really?

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:40 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

I think the menu system and user interface is what's really new here.

Jun 11, 2014 at 07:43 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

This product is in line with Leica's strategy as a purveyor of luxury items, rather than innovative cameras.

Further up the line is the M240, hampered by a primitive EVF -no upgrade is possible- meant to work with 'R' lenses, and (I suppose) 'M' lenses displaying focus shift and all optics focused in dim light, a perennial challenge with RF's. Next is the MM, whose sensor is embedded in a 6 year-old M9-P body (not a thing in it upgraded), sporting a rear LCD inferior to any present-day $200 P&S cameras.

Each of these retail for $8000.

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:45 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Good grief - here we go again. Mention the word Leica and we are off to the races....

Jun 12, 2014 at 08:56 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Gary Clennan wrote:
Good grief - here we go again. Mention the word Leica and we are off to the races....

OK, I'll abbreviate it:

Lotusm50 wrote:
Looks bigger than I expected -- bigger than I've come to expect for a mirrorless APS-c camera.

retrofocus wrote:
Other than the "hand-crafted Al-block" and the strap attachment, I didn't see anything new here....c'on APS-C, really?

This product is in line with Leica's strategy as a purveyor of luxury items, rather than innovative cameras.

BTW: I say this with the greatest of regard for Leica--am negotiating for a used MM myself.

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:00 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

I expect a lot of poorly worded rants and inexplicable rage against Leica in this thread.

I don't even own a leica lens or camera.

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

f.hayek wrote:

Actually, I would have to disagree with that assessment. The T appears to be a testing ground for future Leica products and some of it' innovation on the software side will very likely find it's way into other brands.

One does not see this type of menu customization on Nikon's, Canon's, Sony's etc (like individual customizable apps on a SmartPhone). If you have not seen the software side innovation, take a look:

This will likely not appeal to the classic Leica M user at all - nor many around here - but it is innovative and will almost certainly find it's way into other makes.

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:14 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Tariq Gibran wrote:

+1

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:16 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Yes, it may be an old and exhausted criticism of Leica, but it is also very fair. I don't know if they understand how those old outdated chips and screens scream complacency and arrogance. Their determination to exhaust their inventory at the expense of their customers' convenience and pleasure makes them seem so indifferent and out of touch.

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:20 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Tariq Gibran wrote:

Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate Leica and give them credit that they at least try to get into new markets with such camera. But the touchscreen interface is already common in several P&S cameras and done well in the menu structure, too (my Sony DSC-TX30 P&S for example had full touchscreen-based menu, also water- and shock-resistant camera body). For Leica, yes, this is something new, but not so much when compared how it is already done out there on the market. This said, I personally think that Leica is top notch in optics/lenses, has excellent rangefinder camera systems, but is always a bit behind in the camera electronics (not a specialization of Leica either).

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

wolfloid wrote:
...those old outdated chips and screens scream complacency and arrogance. Their determination to exhaust their inventory at the expense of their customers' convenience and pleasure makes them seem so indifferent and out of touch.

I think it is arrogant to think that a company should forego profits for their customers' convenience and pleasure.

For those who demand innovation, I humbly submit the following: based on reports of sales revenue from imaging operations in the year ending 2011, Leica is about one quarter the size of Olympus, one tenth the size of Fujifilm, and one fortieth the size of Canon, yet Leica maintains camera lineups based around 30x45, 24x36, 16x24, and compact sensors, while Olympus and Fujifilm don't offer anything larger than 16x24 and Canon doesn't offer anything larger than 24x36. Apparently, the smallest kid at the table has the widest range of products, and yet you criticize them for failing to innovate? What is this innovation of which you speak?

Even if Leica lacks innovation--which I do not think is the case--I still prefer for the company to maintain a conservative course because I like having a reliable anchor at the top end of the compact still camera market.

I don't really know why I defend Leica, but then I don't really know why people attack the brand, either.

Regards,
Jon

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

retrofocus wrote:
Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate Leica and give them credit that they at least try to get into new markets with such camera. But the touchscreen interface is already common in several P&S cameras and done well in the menu structure, too (my Sony DSC-TX30 P&S for example had full touchscreen-based menu, also water- and shock-resistant camera body). For Leica, yes, this is something new, but not so much when compared how it is already done out there on the market. This said, I personally think that Leica is top notch in optics/lenses, has excellent rangefinder camera systems,
...Show more

Agreed, but this is the first time that a touchscreen interface has been used on an interchangeable lens camera (or at least I think it is), and the first time it has been used with a fairly large sensor. I think that is pretty innovative, especially for Leica which as has been pointed out has not been innovative in this way in the past. I expect that in a few years, most interchangeable lens cameras will have a touchscreen interface. I would actually welcome it myself as I hate navigating menus with buttons.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

retrofocus wrote:
Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate Leica and give them credit that they at least try to get into new markets with such camera. But the touchscreen interface is already common in several P&S cameras and done well in the menu structure, too (my Sony DSC-TX30 P&S for example had full touchscreen-based menu, also water- and shock-resistant camera body). For Leica, yes, this is something new, but not so much when compared how it is already done out there on the market. This said, I personally think that Leica is top notch in optics/lenses, has excellent rangefinder camera systems,
...Show more

It's not only the touchscreen aspect of the interface but also how it can be customized to give a user only those options they want to have displayed and use. I'm not familiar with the P&S Sony's...does the TX30 allow customization of the actual menu like that (adding and removing displayed options)? Maybe Samsung offers this, I don't know. The fact that Leica has it is quite surprising.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Steve Spencer wrote:
Agreed, but this is the first time that a touchscreen interface has been used on an interchangeable lens camera (or at least I think it is), and the first time it has been used with a fairly large sensor. I think that is pretty innovative, especially for Leica which as has been pointed out has not been innovative in this way in the past. I expect that in a few years, most interchangeable lens cameras will have a touchscreen interface. I would actually welcome it myself as I hate navigating menus with buttons.

I agree - touchscreen is definitely the way to move forward in new camera models.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It's not only the touchscreen aspect of the interface but also how it can be customized to give a user only those options they want to have displayed and use. I'm not familiar with the P&S Sony's...does the TX30 allow customization of the actual menu like that (adding and removing displayed options)? Maybe Samsung offers this, I don't know. The fact that Leica has it is quite surprising.

The TX30 has fixed menus and doesn't allow customization (I sold the camera after a short period of time - I got it for free when I purchased my A7R, but found I didn't have a use for the TX30 after testing it). The A7R allows to a certain degree customizable in-camera app menus, but it's not touchscreen. Not familiar with Samsung either. I agree that Leica did a good move forward here in their cameras - even I am not sure that this mostly justifies its price compared to competitive products in the market.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:34 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

I think it is arrogant to think that a company should forego profits for their customers' convenience and pleasure.

Never have I seen the difference between a rampant capitalist perspective and something more reciprocal more bluntly put. No one is talking about forgoing profits, rather a more customer-oriented approach to business. Not having it backfires. I, for one, would be very interested in the Monochrom, I have all the lenses I would ever need and I have the ready cash, and I am sure it is a good product, but for me that is not enough. I won't buy a €6000 camera with a useless, cheapskate screen and a slow, antiquated chip - especially when I know that they already have better technology already developed, tested and available. It's not as if they need to do R&D. So that's their loss.

As for your remarks about innovation, I didn't mention the word. Innovation also includes updating products where you can make real improvements for little investment. Their multi-pronged model range including third-party products re-branded for double the price and an MF system, which by all accounts is not selling, smacks more of desperation to me than a clear strategy.

I agree with your remarks on a conservative anchoring of a product in a well-proven tradition which works, but disagree with the idea that maximising profits means not making simple and meaningful user-friendly upgrades of both software and hardware.

At least their Leica T, if nothing else, has an innovative user interface. Whether it is worth having or not, I really don't know.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

f.hayek wrote:

Further up the line is the M240, hampered by a primitive EVF -no upgrade is possible- meant to work with 'R' lenses, and (I suppose) 'M' lenses displaying focus shift and all optics focused in dim light, a perennial challenge with RF's. Next is the MM, whose sensor is embedded in a 6 year-old M9-P body (not a thing in it upgraded), sporting a rear LCD inferior to any present-day $200 P&S cameras.

Each of these retail for $8000.

The body isn't 6 years old, it dates from 1954 so it must be around 60 years old, that's why we love it.

The screen may be antiquated and the processor a dinosaur, but the users probably compare it to a Leica M7 or MP film cameras where film advance is by thumb and no image review

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

Leica is the only company innovative enough to ever produce a FF digital rangefinder. Less is more with Leica. I happily pay more money for less features and a simple layout. As for the T, it doesn't really interest me but I would still love to try one out.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica T Digital Camera : Product Overview : Adorama TV

A recent Leica convert after using nearly ALL mirorrless you can imagine (D800E to EPM2 you name it and I have probably used it). To me its the best system for pure photography experience and now feel bad that I wasted too much money/time in trying "technologically advanced" cameras. I understand that for certain type of photography Leica will not work but that's every where, you can not race Toyota Camry, you need Ferrari for that...

I used to be one of them who would beat Leica as crazily costly items for people with too much disposable income. But then I used to think same when I could not afford Apple. But my opinion changed completely when I actually used it. With my experience and people I know on different forums I can tell that bar few exceptions, most of the folks who beat Leica are the one who have not even seen it in person leave the actual using experience.

Coming back to T, I was really pleasantly surprised to see it coming from Leica. This is what Canon and Nikon should have launched as their mirror-less. Apart from the generation old APSC sensor, I believe the design concept itself is a paradigm shift and probably has most modern yet simple interface among the mirror-less crop.

Also note, that unlike other mirror less offerings, Leica mount is clearly designed to accomodate larger sensor. So while they have launched with "outdated" pieces viz 16M sensor etc, they clearly seem to be thinking for future....

Edited on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.