New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

Evangelos Makris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

Hi,

i am thinking of getting a stable,lightweight tripod and my heaviest set up so far is a Canon 6d with a 24-105L.
Maybe in the future i will get a 200mm tele lens.

I am mostly shooting landscapes and nightscapes which involve some short hiking,
but most times i am driving close to the location.
I am looking for a tripod in the 10-15 lb capacity with a levelling head and one that is
easy to take panoramic photos with.

So far i have checked the Oben CC-2300 3-Section CF with the Oben BE-126 Ball Head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687281-REG/Oben_CC_2300_CC_2300_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887593-REG/oben_be_126_ball_head.html

How would you spend $350 on a complete tripod set up?

Thanks for your time,
Evangelos

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

IMHO, the head is most important. I had a budget Slik aluminum with a nice (for a budget rig) 3-way video head (the 700DX iirc)... Hated it. Swapped the head to a used A-S B1, and love it! I also picked up a used Wimberley Sidekick, and I run my 300 2.8 on it with no issues. Are there times where I get lusting after a nice CF pod with a super duper new head and a gimbal? Yes, but not that often. :-) Am I confident that my current set up wil get me through? Yes, absolutely. Sure, it could be better, but until I start banging my head (pun intended) against the limitations of my current set up, I will stick with it. I would rather spend money on glass...

Paul

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

Here is what I use and I have been super happy with it. The legs I have are Manfrotto 055Xprob and the head is a Sirui K20X. The head cost me $130 and the legs I think I paid $200 4 years ago.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

My current tripod legs are Manfrotto 293 and i am satisfied with them.
Maybe the head (AORC2) is the frustrating part because sometimes i feel that it does not grip the plate firmly.

So maybe i will just buy a new head and keep the legs.
What head would you suggest in the $100-150 price range?

The Sirui K20x seems excellent.Any other competitors?

Jun 12, 2014 at 05:46 AM
mine1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

this is probibally the best deal in the 350 buck range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENRO-C2682TB1-Tripod-Monopod-Trekking-Pole-3in1-Kit-FAST-SHIPMENT-/140905002711?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item20ce97b6d7

you can also buy the same thing without the monopod option (it is a little shorter and lighter that way). I bought a oben before getting my benro, and while the oben was nice the benro is much much better. And as far as the k20x that is exactly what I upgraded my ballhead to just yesterday. If you get the kit I recomended you can easly sell the ballhead for around 75 bucks (if you decide you don't like it) and that makes the sirui ball head only 60 bucks in the end.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

The option you are suggesting sounds really interesting.
I got a bit lost in all the brands of tripod legs and heads.

The Sirui k20x seems excellent for what i am searching, so i have to decide if i will also
upgrade my Manfrotto legs with a Benro/Oben/don't know what else.

Thanks for your time.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM
mine1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

I know oben get pretty decent reviews but I didn't like my experience with mine (only kept it for a few days) and the benro's that are sold in that link I sent you are as cheap as the obens and are better pods.

Jun 13, 2014 at 02:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

Benro is one that started out getting a lot of grief on these pages. Now I hear a lot of good things about Benro. Feisol is another. Some of these Chinese companies are really getting their acts together and making good stuff.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

mine1 wrote:
I know oben get pretty decent reviews but I didn't like my experience with mine (only kept it for a few days) and the benro's that are sold in that link I sent you are as cheap as the obens and are better pods.

Could you please describe what you did not like about your Oben tripod?
Thanks!

Jun 17, 2014 at 02:58 AM
azurebird

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

I hated mine. Quick release sprang off spontaneously and I dropped a very expensive Nikon lens. Evil tripod.

Jun 17, 2014 at 07:53 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

Dustin Gent wrote:
Here is what I use and I have been super happy with it. The legs I have are Manfrotto 055Xprob and the head is a Sirui K20X. The head cost me $130 and the legs I think I paid $200 4 years ago.

I'd also recommend the Manfrotto 055XProB. Very nice tripod for the price. It's only downside is the weight.

Jun 17, 2014 at 08:21 AM
mine1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

Evangelos Makris wrote:
Could you please describe what you did not like about your Oben tripod?
Thanks!

well first off the tripod center column (which did have a groove to keep it from turning that my benro doesn't which sucks), came to me cross threaded and had broken threads. But beyond that it just wasn't very smooth and didn't feel all that well made. It was the aluminum version (but I bet the carbon fibre ones use the same materials other than the toobs, but I could be wrong) and didn't seem to handle vibrations very well, for example when I put my 55-250 on and zoom all the way in and then use live view 10x (for manual focusing) it was pretty wobblie. where as my benro (which is carbon fibre and costs 3x as much (4 times if you buy it in the us), feels much smoother and is far better with small vibrations.

Jun 17, 2014 at 01:10 PM
mine1

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

so I guess my point was, that as long as you are ok ordering from Ebay (from an authorized dealer), you can save close to 100 bucks with the equivalent benro vs the oben from B&h, and get (at least what I think), a better tripod as well.

Jun 17, 2014 at 01:28 PM
joesfbay

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spending $350 on CF tripod,head,accessories

Manfrotto 055XPROB $198 and Manfrotto 498RC2 Midi Ball Head with 200PL-14 QR Plate $115. I have that combination and it's very stable.

Jun 18, 2014 at 01:49 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.