Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Kirkjufell in the Morning

helenica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

This shot is from my most recent visit to Iceland back in March. It was a cold morning when I arrived at my chosen location. Almost as soon as I got there, it clouded over and started snowing. I waited a while and then decided to leave. Just as I was leaving the sky opened up again. I took some shots, but after about 15 min it closed up again. After another wait it fortunately cleared up again just as the sun started peeping above the mountains.

Thanks for looking.

Edited on Jun 11, 2014 at 05:54 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:08 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Helen,

Wow, that is just an epic scene and well captured! Iceland sure is an exciting place for photographers!

Jason

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:21 PM
ElCuruba

p.1 #3 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

I really like your shot and I envy you for your possibility to take photos there. I was on iceland too in march but the day on the Snæfellsnes peninsula was only a sequence of bilzzard after blizzard. I couldn't even open the door of the car at Kirkjufell because the wind was simply too strong. No chance for taking pictures there

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #4 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Yeah i have to agree, just an epic landscape shot! Love how you have movement in some of the clouds, and yet there's structure and depth in some of the other clouds to left of the image!

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Super nice image Helen.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #6 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Great shot from that wonderful place.

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:10 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Your persistence paid off. Nice capture!

-Nick

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #8 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Wonderful balance! The central peak goes down to the white of the falls on the left, and the white of the snow and ice on the right. Well done!

Tim

Jun 12, 2014 at 05:16 PM
thefoundou

p.1 #9 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

So extremely jealous! I've always dreamed of going to Iceland and doing photography!

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:07 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

A stunner. It just keeps getting better as you gaze further into the scene.

Phil

Jun 14, 2014 at 06:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

berenosphoto

p.1 #11 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

I really like this shot, with the positioning of the waterfall and the stream creating a diagonal line. In general I suffer from Iceland envy, and this only makes it worse... One day! Is it possible that some of the clouds are a little hot?

Jun 14, 2014 at 08:20 AM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.1 #12 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

This is just epic in every way... water movement in the fall, snow on the banks, mountain on the horizon, and a nice dramatic sky to boot. Exposure and details are spot on too. This is my pick for featured photo thread of the week without question. I think ,"Iceland Envy" sums up my sentiments exactly. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

Jun 15, 2014 at 07:11 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Really an outstanding image, Helen, in all respects.

Bob

Jun 15, 2014 at 07:21 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

It's very rich in details and textures but still you fit it all in one nice composition. Beautiful image. Agree with Jim, it's epic.

Sasha.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #15 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

ElCuruba wrote:
I really like your shot and I envy you for your possibility to take photos there. I was on iceland too in march but the day on the Snæfellsnes peninsula was only a sequence of bilzzard after blizzard. I couldn't even open the door of the car at Kirkjufell because the wind was simply too strong. No chance for taking pictures there

Unfortunately bad weather is part of the Icelandic winter. The day before this shot I only took about 6 shots, and those only happened because my finger was so desperate to push the shutter button.

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:33 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #16 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

berenosphoto wrote:
I really like this shot, with the positioning of the waterfall and the stream creating a diagonal line. In general I suffer from Iceland envy, and this only makes it worse... One day! Is it possible that some of the clouds are a little hot?

I didn't do any corrections on the websized version so it is possible that the red channel is clipped a bit. On the large version I took care to preserve it. I did a print the other day and it looked good.

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:38 PM
mariposaland

p.1 #17 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

This is a treasure, Helen. The foreground and background elements are both worthy subjects. Great exposure for the falling water and the rest of the scene. The stream creates a connection to the front and the back of the photo. The clouds and white balance appear very nice. This makes me want to go to Iceland also. Keep on clicking, Helen!!!

Jun 19, 2014 at 08:10 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #18 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

Great shot. I especially love how it looks like the sun is just smacking into those clouds. Exposure looks perfect to me. Only thing I would like is for more of the foreground to be included so it could better frame the shot. It looks a bit cut off as is.

Jun 19, 2014 at 08:30 PM
JacobWilliams

p.1 #19 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

If a gun was to my head and I had to choose something to change about this image, I'd say a smidgen more foreground, just enough to take out the cloud poking at the top of the image. But, I don't. I think this a gorgeous photo with very fine execution on your part.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:26 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Kirkjufell in the Morning

good cloud action

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password