Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

I had listed my Nikon 35mm 1.4 G for sell on amazon lately (it's for sell on here too if your interested).

Had a shopper email me this via amazon:

This is my e-mail address--- tiyg5@yahoo.comQuickly wrrite to me in my given e-mail address about the real working condition of this item so that it comes to my inbox and not junk and i will be able to see it and decide in buying it from you today.I will only do transaction with you inside amazon as soon as you let me know it in there but if not i won't be able to hear from you, so do so ASAP.Once more: tiyg5@yahoo.com

I had suspensions right off because the message wasn't in text form, instead it was some sort of document attachment. But being new to selling on Amazon I responded.

Then I get this:

Okay, i will make payment for the item asap via amazon,so kindly ship it today [Wednesday] via USPS Express Mail international 3-5days,so that he can receive it in time for his birthday,i will cover the shipping charges. Also be checking both your inbox & spam folder for notification from amazon soon.

Regards.

I checked my account at Amazon directly and of course the lens had not sold. Then I checked my spam folder and sure enough...to legit looking emails from amazon telling me it had sold. If that had went to my regular folder and I didn't have the early red flags (and the fact they wanted it shipped to Nigeria), I could have been duped.

Just a heads up. Now someone buy this lens.

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

Looks like the scammers from eBay have branched out to Amazon. Same scenario - stolen credit card, ship item(s) to my son in Nigeria for his birthday.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:58 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

In this case it sounds like it wasn't even a stolen credit card if I'm not mistaken - just fake emails attempting to convince the poster that his lens had sold so that he would ship it. Do people actually fall for this stuff?? I guess so or they wouldn't keep doing it.

brad

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:18 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

If you see the word ..NIGERIA ... don't walk away but run as fast as you can !

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

It's pretty hard to fake a payment through Amazon's system. And sales always generate an invoice in your AMZ "Manage Orders" account with buyer's name and address. Plus the inventory list shows the item as out of stock (if you have only one to sell). The only way such a phishing scam would work is if you have a total brain fart...

I've been selling through Amazon for a couple years now and things have been a lot smoother and trouble free compared to ebay and CL. The downside is Amazon takes a pretty big bite out of yo' arse. However you can get away with higher prices and don't have to deal with lowball offers and endless dumb questions. People just click and buy.

Jun 11, 2014 at 07:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sumtiw
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

I have gotten similar emails from PayPal.
Haha.. Never ever trust just on the emails. Check the actual website to see if the money has been received or not.

Jun 26, 2014 at 08:51 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

If the item is shown as Sold then Contact Amazon about your experience. They will fix it.

Jun 27, 2014 at 08:14 PM
bosharpe

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jun 29, 2014 at 02:13 PM
yarnim

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

Haha this is all too common. I guess you being on FM and selling here has never allowed you to receive such scam attempts.

I get these messages on my phone, email etc all the time. The scenario never changes. I really wonder if anyone really falls for these. I sell regularly on Amazon and CL. Never used Ebay to sell though.

Jun 30, 2014 at 05:13 PM
yarnim

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Selling on Amazon...beware of this scam.

These messages are seriously all the same. As soon as I see one, I go, NO DEAL WITH NIGERIANS and they usually never respond.

Oh one time one guy responded in a broken English saying NIGERIA? NONO RUSSIA PLZ SHIP RUSSHIA.

Jun 30, 2014 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password