Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Better Beamer for Portraits??

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Better Beamer for Portraits??

Anyone here ever tried to use a Better Beamer on a speedlight in a situation where you need more output?? Say, in a situation where you're really trying to reduce the ambient more than what is possible, or when using an ND filter to achieve the same...

Does it work well at all??

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Better Beamer for Portraits??

Between the narrow beam it produces, and the fact that it is not always well centered on your field of view, I think you would have problems with almost all portrait situations. If you really are shooting at 400mm or more, it might work, but it is a bit hard to even interact well with your subject when you get that far away.

You also have a big issue with the light being very close to the camera and lens for the normal way a Better Beamer is mounted, which in general gives poor lighting on the subject, and also will make some really strong redeye. I highly recommend you get your flash a bit away from the camera, up some and perhaps also to one side, to get a better lighting effect. You might still be able to aim a Better Beamer on to your subject if its beam has enough coverage, but the aiming will be critical and take time.

Also, consider a second flash well off camera as your main light, and then one perhaps still mounted on the camera but a bit up as a fill flash. The second flash will add more light, and adjusting its beam size using the built in focusing reflector to match your lens field of view will give you the best use of the power available.

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:09 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Better Beamer for Portraits??

yeah, that's what i figured....btw, i was never talking about on camera flash here....who shoots portraits anymore with on camera flash?

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:38 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password