New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Telling client and friend NO

damienss

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Telling client and friend NO

ive owned my own business for several years (non photography related) and one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was.... "if you cant make money off your own friends, you'll never make it in business."

If your friend knows this is your craft, he should offer to pay before you even tell your rates. Free should be something you offer if you so choose. Otherwise, youre just letting yourself be taken advantage of for the sake of "friendship".

You did the right thing... except the feeling bad part

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM
finster1018
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Telling client and friend NO

I say go out with your friend at a place of their choosing, tell them to bring their own camera or use the camera feature on your phone and snap a few. Email it to them from your phone and bam, nothing left to say. If they want studio time, tell them that you'll give them a discount, but don't give away anything.

Now if there is a business connection ie (goods or services that you might use in the future) i think it's ok to give it to them for free because favors are considered gold in the business arena and you can keep that one in your pocket and claim full value ie "hey, I did $xxx in services and I didn't charge anything, how bout you scratch my back now? You never know when you'll have to cash that in. Just don't make that a habit though. Not a good idea to give anyone carte blanche.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.