Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zeiss ZM & ZF.2 50 Planar the same?

jjkan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss ZM & ZF.2 50 Planar the same?

This one's for the technically oriented among us-

I currently have a ZM Planar, and am looking for decent macro options for an incoming A7r. I don't really want to drop for a ZF/ZE Makro Planar, and that got me thinking if a ZM Planar with M-mount and extension tubes would perform similarly to a ZE/ZF MP with Canon adapter.

Zeiss spec sheets show that the ZE/ZF MP has two more elements at the rear, presumably to project for a farther flange distance. Any guesses as to whether close-up performance is enhanced by that extra group compared to the ZM Planar extended to project the 1:2 reproduction?

In the past with a D800 I wasn't quite satisfied sticking lenses that had poor near distance performance on extension tubes to circumvent buying a dedicated macro lens. I know it won't be the same as a true native lens (not like I have any choices right now), so this is a little bit of technical curiosity and a little bit of excitement at maybe finding a clever alternative.

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:10 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss ZM & ZF.2 50 Planar the same?

They are not the same lenses at all. Like you noted not even the same number of elements. In addition, the ZE/ZF Makro Planar has a floating element, which is very helpful for good up close performance. So, I would be surprised it the ZM was nearly as good at close up shooting. The good news is that you don't really need tubes to us M lenses up close. You can get an adapter with a helical in it--Voigtlander makes ones and Hawkes is another popular maker and these allow a much shorter MFD on the Sony cameras. With such an adapter the ZM might be good enough. You might also look at a Leica 50 summicron. I had the R version of that lens and it worked quite well close up. The Leica R 60 macro is another very nice and surprisingly inexpensive option. It is a lot bigger than the ZM, but quite a bit smaller than the Zeiss ZE/ZF.

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:41 AM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss ZM & ZF.2 50 Planar the same?

I have the ZF 50/2, but have not used the ZM 50/2. The ZF 50/2 really is as good at infinity as it is close up.
Expecting excellent close up performance out of a unit-focusing ZM 50 that was sold with a mount that didn't focus closer than one-half meter is a tall order.
However, the investment to find out is as cheap as a set of used extension tubes.

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.