Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

go try it.... it works
Dave McGaughey wrote:
That doesn't solve the problem of the flash being less powerful than the sun. If just helps you drop your shutter speed under the X-Sync.

Jun 12, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

when Simone comes here and says, "I have the answers go to my website to get them" out appears they are just trying to drive traffic to there site.....
planalpha wrote:
Uhh, no disrespect Michael, but how is linking to my post about shooting in harsh light an alterior motive?
Just trying to be helpful. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

Jun 12, 2014 at 01:03 PM
planalpha
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

Michaelparris wrote:
when Simone comes here and says, "I have the answers go to my website to get them" out appears they are just trying to drive traffic to there site.....

Hope it didn't come across that way. Just a blog not a site selling stuff.
I think it was more a case of me being lazy and not wanting to type a lot from my phone.

OP, good luck with your shoot. Hope it goes well for you.

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Sean Reagan

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

Actually, I think the ND filter would work. It's like placing strong sunglasses on your lens. It will darken the WHOLE scene to the point where the highlights are not blown (need to use the correct power ND filter to get the correct result). Then use the flash to light up your subject. Flash would obviously need to be placed near the subject. I just bought some B+H ND filters (I bought it mainly to experiment with outdoor, daytime video) and will try it out shortly. Let me know how that goes please! I have a 6 stop ND filter from them as well. I could try that method too.

Hope it didn't come across that way. Just a blog not a site selling stuff.
I think it was more a case of me being lazy and not wanting to type a lot from my phone.

OP, good luck with your shoot. Hope it goes well for you.

Thanks planalpha, it went the best it could have. Although after reading this I do like the reflector idea. I need to put mine to more use. I just hate using it because it nearly blinds my subject(s) and makes them want to just quit. I have a YN560-III speed light, but it doesn't have HSS. I'm trying to start up my own photography business and I want to have outstanding work. I've been doing it for a while now, but I'm not to the point of being official just yet. (At least that's how I feel) Do you think I should sell it and get a flash with HSS capability?

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Sean Reagan

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

I just found this, I might just add this to my work flow. Check it out! This guy used a 6 stop ND filter, a flash and got the same if not a better image without using HSS. http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/lighting/202822-has-anyone-tried-high-speed-sync-yongnuo-products.html

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM
planalpha
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

Sean Reagan wrote:
Let me know how that goes please! I have a 6 stop ND filter from them as well. I could try that method too.

Thanks planalpha, it went the best it could have. Although after reading this I do like the reflector idea. I need to put mine to more use. I just hate using it because it nearly blinds my subject(s) and makes them want to just quit. I have a YN560-III speed light, but it doesn't have HSS. I'm trying to start up my own photography business and I want to have outstanding work. I've been
...Show more

I've found you don't have to reflect the light directly back into your subject's face. It will be too much if the sun is reasonably bright. You probably want to have it a little off axis and feather the light on to them. Makes for better light and happier subjects.

My 2 cents about the HSS is not to get too wrapped around the axle about it. Plenty of people do just fine without it. This hobby/business is fraught with the mindset of "buy this to fix that" and it's really all about problem solving with whatever tools you have available to you. Use a scrim, reflector, multiple flashes, open shade, etc and you can make just about anything work. Again, just my 2 cents.

You should post your pictures! We'd love to see them.

Jun 18, 2014 at 02:37 AM
P00kienrayray
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Speed lights for indoor use only?

Yea I use speedlights for fill only when outdoors. It's almost required when not in the shade.

Jun 18, 2014 at 01:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.