New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Newborn Photos

ptrautne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newborn Photos

My son was born on May 21st and I decided to take some pictures around 10 days old. Below are the pictures I took, please let me know your feedback on the images because I am going to try again this weekend. I converted the images to black & white because I did not like the color of the sheet (dark blue) that I set him on with the white background. Next time I am going to try with a white background, with a white sheet, and light blue blanket to cover him. These pictures were taken with a canon 135mm F2 and a off camera flash shot through a umbrella

Jun 10, 2014 at 07:42 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newborn Photos

Congrats and what a cute little kid you got there. I would suggest the next time try placing the baby in front of a nice north facing window. Quality of light can't be beat and you will have all the time in the world while your baby sleeps (relatively speaking).

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:23 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newborn Photos

I think you did great with your images. the B&W conversion is not my cup of tea, I prefer a little more neutral color in the B&W as now it appears to have a color cast or very very light sepia tone to it.

There are a million things different people can come in here and tell you to try different especially with newborns in regards to poses, back drops, lighting, fabrics, props etc

As a father myself, I would be proud of these images, they aren't gimmicky, cheesey and are very sweet. you aren't shooting up the nose or having the baby look uncomfortable or awkward so those are great pluses.

I'm a newborn photographer myself so i can appreciate when someone photographs a little one that they aren't placing them on something hard like a cold table or wood floor etc..

I would say for your next shoot, keep it up with the same "comfortable feeling" FOcus on things like fingers, toes, lips, nose, eye lashes etc.. all the things that drastically change quickly when they start growing.

What ever light you are using be it window light or strobe in umbrella, make sure to feather the light across the face down or across the nose and not up the nose etc... it adds depth, texture and ensures the subject isnt flat lit.

Also try some pictures with out the hat and clothing, go for some natural shots this time since you have clothed shots from last time.

What ever room you are in keep it warm... around 75-80 degrees. play white noise not too quiet.. babies love WARM and Loud rooms. you would be amazed how loud and warm it is in the womb and thats what they are used to for 9 months.

if you move the baby into a pose and they start to wiggle or fight it, gently hold them and sshh loudly while gently rocking them... eventually they will take the pose just have to be patient and gentle but not let them get their way too much in regards to moving.

Congrats to your new baby, your son is very handsome!

Jun 11, 2014 at 09:19 AM
ptrautne

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newborn Photos

Thanks for the comments and will try what your saying. When you take the natural shots do you have any tips to keep it clean? I tried the nude shots at first but he urinated on me and pooped on my wife so we left the diaper on for the rest of the photos.

nextelbuddy wrote:
I think you did great with your images. the B&W conversion is not my cup of tea, I prefer a little more neutral color in the B&W as now it appears to have a color cast or very very light sepia tone to it.

There are a million things different people can come in here and tell you to try different especially with newborns in regards to poses, back drops, lighting, fabrics, props etc

As a father myself, I would be proud of these images, they aren't gimmicky, cheesey and are very sweet. you aren't shooting up the nose or having the
...Show more

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newborn Photos

ptrautne wrote:
Thanks for the comments and will try what your saying. When you take the natural shots do you have any tips to keep it clean? I tried the nude shots at first but he urinated on me and pooped on my wife so we left the diaper on for the rest of the photos.

the urinating and pooping will happen (i've been pee'd and pooped on by so many babies lol, gross at first but you get used to it) so its best to time the naked shots right after a diaper change. before putting on a fresh diaper, cleaning them up and going for the nude shots. when doing nude shots, the general rule of thumb is to try poses that hide their private areas. usually that is achieved through some creative placement of their legs.

Another way you could do tasteful semi nude shots is you can leave a diaper on but get something such as a scarf or throw blanket of what ever color and texture you like (the softer the better) and using that to "drape" over the hip/bum area of the baby. you can tuck most of it behind under the hip and bum behind the baby as the camera wont even see it depending on your angle.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.