Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Lowel GL-1 light

rondphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lowel GL-1 light

Since it's been on the market for a little while, I'm curious to see if anyone has been using it or it they tried it and decided against it.

And let's get it out of the way....yes, It's a $700 flashlight with a Frensel lens and yes there are alternatives out there.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:23 PM
delsol9400

p.1 #2 · Lowel GL-1 light

Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually think the older Lowell-id light produces a better quality of light.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM
LeeSimms
• •
p.1 #3 · Lowel GL-1 light

I'm curious — rented one for this weekend. Three weddings — figured we'd use it some.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · Lowel GL-1 light

delsol9400 wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually think the older Lowell-id light produces a better quality of light.

I have heard this and the opposite.

I can buy 2 ID lights with batteries for the price of 1 GL1 light. However, there's the portability factor. And it seems that the GL1 can cover a wider area that the ID light.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM
delsol9400

p.1 #5 · Lowel GL-1 light

I guess, but the fall-off just isn't as nice... Heard this from a few other photographers too. check out the most recent pic on my facebook business page. still using the lowell-id

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #6 · Lowel GL-1 light

I was about to pull the trigger on one but heard that they're addressing a few problems around the build quality (but the light quality and customer service is supposed to be stellar). Ari sent me this link when we were chatting about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlzMYl0YUX0&list=UUTSgfO_OkfRX8dm4YhCg3fg

apparently they are working on a newer version?

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM
joosay
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Lowel GL-1 light

I'm not sure which Lowel ID-light you have but the one I had was 100w and the battery was really heavy.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:04 PM
delsol9400

p.1 #8 · Lowel GL-1 light

yeah its really not that small either (the gl-1). You don't have to use the lead acid battery that came with the lowell ID.
You can use any lightweight lithium battery that has enough power, and make yourself a connector. The result is something smaller than a GL-1, that puts out nicer light (for me).

joosay wrote:
I'm not sure which Lowel ID-light you have but the one I had was 100w and the battery was really heavy.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · Lowel GL-1 light

I think the frustrating thing for me is that there's no sample photos done with the GL1 using the diffusion gel or the barndoors. I'd really like to see what this thing is capable of.

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:44 AM
LeeSimms
• •
p.1 #10 · Lowel GL-1 light

That's what's holding you back? You know what diffusion and barndoors do — they'll do the same on this light.

You can stand at the edge of the pool listening to your friends go on and on about how great (or not) the water is, but eventually you have to jump in for yourself.

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rodizzle33
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Lowel GL-1 light

I use the lowel GL-1 and it's expensive but it comes in handy when you need a long throw of light. Here are a few examples. Most of the time I use it as a slight fill to a back lit subject.

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:42 PM
haroon08

p.1 #12 · Lowel GL-1 light

Its way overpriced, but I absolutely love it. Really wouldn't want to shoot a wedding without one.

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:45 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #13 · Lowel GL-1 light

LeeSimms wrote:
That's what's holding you back? You know what diffusion and barndoors do — they'll do the same on this light.

You can stand at the edge of the pool listening to your friends go on and on about how great (or not) the water is, but eventually you have to jump in for yourself.

It's not that it's holding me back....there's just not a lot of good info out there about it IMO. There's no in-depth reviews. They're all "Hey...it looks like a flashlight and you can zoom it in to spot or zoom it out to flood."

It's like people aren't talking about how great or not the pool is...all that's being talked about is how expensive it is to put one in.

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:42 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #14 · Lowel GL-1 light

rondphoto wrote:
Since it's been on the market for a little while, I'm curious to see if anyone has been using it or it they tried it and decided against it.

And let's get it out of the way....yes, It's a $700 flashlight with a Frensel lens and yes there are alternatives out there.

Currently $599 at Adorama. These appear to be expensive because they're seen in the context of a glorified flashlight. In reality, however, the price is consistent with Canikon speedlights. Something like this would have been fairly useless not too many years ago, but the high(er) ISO capability of current camera's allows us to employ different tools.

Jun 11, 2014 at 07:34 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #15 · Lowel GL-1 light

Ron--did you get the light? Have you used it? It's on my list and not sure whether I should get it now or wait for the update... kind of want it already!

Jun 16, 2014 at 05:34 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #16 · Lowel GL-1 light

Yes I bought it but it hasn't arrived yet.

I'm a little annoyed as I paid for it last week, and my order is still pending and hasn't shipped yet. However, I received my free barn door kit on Friday. My emails requesting a status update have gone unreturned.

dhp_sf wrote:
Ron--did you get the light? Have you used it? It's on my list and not sure whether I should get it now or wait for the update... kind of want it already!

Jun 16, 2014 at 05:55 PM
LeeSimms
• •
p.1 #17 · Lowel GL-1 light

Rented one for the weekend (3 weddings). Lots to love about it, but I think I'll wait for the flood of clones that are no doubt right around the corner. 300USD feels about the right price.

Jun 16, 2014 at 06:56 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #18 · Lowel GL-1 light

Just got an email from John Solano:

Ron,

Also we are now shipping out the 2nd Generation of the lowel gl1
All issues with the battery fall out has been addressed.

Best,
John Solano

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:15 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #19 · Lowel GL-1 light

LeeSimms wrote:
I'm curious — rented one for this weekend. Three weddings — figured we'd use it some.

What were your thoughts?

Mine finally arrived this week and going to use it this weekend. They shipped me v2, which has the battery issue corrected.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #20 · Lowel GL-1 light

Just a quick update.

I've shot 2 engagement shoots and 1 wedding with this light. So far, I really like the results. The light definitely has some quirks. If you need light in broad daylight, the GL1 is pretty much useless as a key light. Maybe as a fill or a hair light but not strong enough for anything else. It's ease of use and portability has made the price tag worth it. Thinking of getting a second one actually.

Jul 10, 2014 at 05:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password