Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

pixelreaper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Suprised I had not seen a post on this already, but figured I would share that I just pre-ordered the new New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV from B&H. It is due out on 6/16/2014

Looks like they have made improvements aimed at T/S lenses and flare / reflections reduction. They have change the angle of the internal baffle and coated with non reflective paint. Hopefully this will work, as I am too lazy to flock the inside.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1054790-REG/metabones_mb_ef_e_bm4_canon_ef_lens_to.html

Cheers,

Dimitri Kavalieros

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:52 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Thanks for the heads up, same price as the MKIII, hopefully this resolves some of the issues people were having with reflections.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Applying self adhesive flocking paper is fairly easy. I didn't encounter any issue with my 17mm TS-E lens. On the other hand, had they improved the AF performance on the new adapter then I would be first in line.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Thanks for the info - I might stick to my Vers. III for a while since I don't experience any issues with it. I agree that the new version is likely better by having the flocking paper to avoid reflections. The more interesting question is when will the price drop for those adapters especially in the latest version?! Seems like Metabones has a monopoly position here currently because it is the only well working adapter to allow AF with most Canon EF lenses. I don't expect that a new Novoflex adapter will be cheaper either.
Wish Sony made the same deal elsewhere in the word as in Australia where the Metabones adapter was part of the purchase of a new A7 series camera.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

AGeoJO wrote:
Applying self adhesive flocking paper is fairly easy. I didn't encounter any issue with my 17mm TS-E lens. On the other hand, had they improved the AF performance on the new adapter then I would be first in line.

I agree, the Mark III version with flocking paper works great even with the ultra wide 17mm TS-E lens. There is no mechanical vignetting or reflections.
Also, I believe that the adhesive flocking paper may a better job than matte paint to prevent reflections. As far as I can tell there is no changes in software so AF should perform the same.
It would be nice to see a image quality comparison. (v3 flocked vs v4)
Fred

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:41 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

I hope they have also improved the precision/build quality as well. The fit of my Metabones III adapter was pretty sloppy.

Jun 11, 2014 at 07:12 PM
keithchan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

molson wrote:
I hope they have also improved the precision/build quality as well. The fit of my Metabones III adapter was pretty sloppy.

+1

Jun 11, 2014 at 08:28 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

keithchan wrote:
+1

+2 !
Build quality of the mount specifically is not in line with the cost. It is quite Sloppy indeed with quite a bit of sample variation.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

So we can expect some good,cheap second hand MKIIIs soon

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

I have no problems with the mark iii, so I don't think I'm gonna spend another 400 dollars lol.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Alexluu627 wrote:
I have no problems with the mark iii, so I don't think I'm gonna spend another 400 dollars lol.

+1. Also my strategy. I am not going to sell my MkIII with a loss and pay another $399 for the MkIV. I realized that I rarely use AF with this adapter anyway, so I would only benefit from the flocking in case of some internal reflections. So far reflection was not an issue for me with the MkIII.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

abhijeeth wrote:
+2 !
Build quality of the mount specifically is not in line with the cost. It is quite Sloppy indeed with quite a bit of sample variation.

Have you examined at least 2 samples? If so, please let us know how they differ.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

The internal reflection issue with Mark III was originally reported with a TSE 24/3.5L lens which was shifted. To the best of my knowledge it has not been reported with any non-tilt-shift lenses. So, on one hand, like some of you have concluded, it is not worth upgrading to Mark IV because of that, but on the other hand, there is nothing wrong with improving the product either.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Bo-Ming, I had a Metabones Leica R to FE adapter and quickly returned it. While we are talking about the EF to FE here, I'll share my thoughts.

1. A specialized wrench is needed every time one wants to attach/remove the tripod adapter

2. The fit at the lens to adapter coupling was very tight, beyond my appetite for repeated mounting/dismounting. I don't know squat about the machining and mechanics of such a thing, nor properties of which metal slips past which and which wears first, etc. etc. but I'd never needed that level of effort for any bayonet system, ever.

For those who use the EF-FE adapter, how much force is needed to turn the lens in mounting it to the adapter, compared to mounting an EF lens on an EF body?

Jun 13, 2014 at 01:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

sirimiri wrote:
For those who use the EF-FE adapter, how much force is needed to turn the lens in mounting it to the adapter, compared to mounting an EF lens on an EF body?

My EF lenses sit tight on my MkIII adapter, also the adapter itself is attached well to the camera mount. I need to use a bit more force when rotating the EF lens into my Metabones thread compared to attaching the same lens directly on my Canon camera mount. But the difference is not too severe and doesn't disturb me. Nothing is scratched or damaged during this mounting/demounting process either.

Jun 13, 2014 at 01:46 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Being that I just got my a7 and will probably get some EF mount glass, the MIV looks nice and attractive to me.

Jun 13, 2014 at 01:55 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Anti reflective paint is not as effective as flocking but the new profile may help.

Jun 13, 2014 at 06:29 PM
stehophoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

... I had the MB3 when I got my A7R two months ago. Over these two months I switched entirely to Sony and sold the MB3 to my friend. And I just know the MB3's tripod collar can be used on Arca style tripods!

Jun 14, 2014 at 01:10 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

stehophoto wrote:
And I just know the MB3's tripod collar can be used on Arca style tripods!

What are you talking about ? I'm still looking for a solution to MB3+A7R+Grip+Lbracket

They could have design MB4 with such tripod collar rotating which would have been ideal.

Jun 14, 2014 at 06:16 AM
chrisd999
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Metabones EF - E-mount MARK IV !!!!

Just ordered the mk IV from B&H, and expect it to arrive and hopefully get in some comparisons shots with the 17mm TS and mk III (unflocked) later this week. I was reluctant to flock the mk III because I was having trouble removing the 6 adapter screws as some of the screw heads were stripped with my Allen key when I tried loosening them, so I gave up on the flocking idea. Hopefully the IV solves the internal reflection issue.

Jun 16, 2014 at 06:39 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.