New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Mount Rainer tips

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mount Rainer tips

I'll be heading to Mount Rainier NP mid august. I'll be with my young family so long hikes with or without them probably won't work out. I can get out at night and stay out as long as I want which is part of my reason for astro landscapes.

Any tips or resources? The best (and pretty good) resource I found was a laminated map
http://www.tomhaseltine.com/products.html

thanks!
David

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:41 PM
JohnKS
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mount Rainer tips

We will be heading, family of 7 with the youngest 22 or is she 23 , to the Seattle area and Mt Rainier as well at the end of July. We are spending 4 nights in Seattle and 4 nights near Mt. Rainier. We hope to do some hiking to view the wildflowers, if of course they are in bloom when we are there, on Mt. Rainier. I'll pass on any first hand experience on the trails we cover. We like to hike easy to moderate trails. For this trip my kit will include my Canon 6D, 17-40, 24-105, 100-400 and the tripod. My son will bring his 7D a few lens, tripod and both of us will bring a few graduated filters. I did come across the following link that you might find of interest.

http://www.visitrainier.com/pg/12_top_photo_hotspots/12-Top-Photo-Hotspots-in-Mt-Rainier-National-Park

Jun 11, 2014 at 09:01 PM
PotchieR
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mount Rainer tips

I grew up in Washington State and used to visit Mt. Rainier almost every summer. If you keep driving up you'll reach an inn which offers a huge parking area. That's the farthest you can drive your car up there. From there, there's a trail which starts almost in front of the inn that you can hike, it's called Paradise . I've never gone at night but it's a wide open space with nice views and a lot of wildflowers. The top of Mt. Rainier can also be seen from there.

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:21 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mount Rainer tips

Late July and early Aug is usually peak time for wildflowers. You'll want to visit Paradise and do a couple short hikes, at least. Myrtle Falls is very scenic. Sunrise is on the other side and worth a visit. Just driving through the park, you'll see several great waterfalls, others require hiking. Drive to Chinook Pass and walk around the lake there, very scenic area.

Jun 16, 2014 at 05:55 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mount Rainer tips

thanks for your tips.
Maybe I'll scope out paradise for some night photography.

David

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mount Rainer tips

How young are the kids?

Bench Lake is a great spot, and an easier .7 mile hike from the parking area. It is close to Reflection Lakes as well.
Paradise is nice, especially the meadows above Reflection Lakes.

Tipsoo is easy to do, and don't forget about Upper Tipsoo and Naches Peak. Night photography kinda sucks at Rainier, due to the light pollution. However you can get some cool stuff. This was shot from the trail near Sunrise

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ofbhbxRCQ18/UeTYsuRJWkI/AAAAAAAAIQI/SLrT3slp67c/s800/Rainier-Ray.jpg

Jun 18, 2014 at 07:45 PM
dogwater

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mount Rainer tips

Take a look at the WTA website: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/hike_search?sort=&rating=0&mileage:int=0&title=®ion=344281caae0d5e845a5003400c0be9ef&searchabletext=&filter=Search&subregion=all&b_start:int=30&show_adv=0&elevationgain:int=0&highpoint=
I have logged the Mt Ranier trail section so you can peruse the available trails. Select the trail and it opens to a comprehensive description and map as well as recent trail reports from those returning.
Mt Ranier makes its own weather so be prepared. Bring a rain shell for you and your camera. I hope it is a clear day when you fly in because the sight of it is amazing and I see it every day.
Cheers!

Jun 29, 2014 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.