Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

West Coast View of Acadia National Park

gnbuzz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Since many of you have come out West to photograph our beautiful part of the world, I thought I'd turn the tables (I'm a Seattle native). My daughter got her Masters from UNE, then we went up the coast to Acadia for hiking and photos. First off, I have to say, if I lived on the East Coast, I'd be in Portland as often as possible. It definitely had the most "West Coast vibe" of any EC city I've ever visited, is a foodie's delight, has a wonderful Museum of Art, and offers fantastic scenery just a few miles north or south, particularly along Route 1. Wow.

Acadia was fantastic. The Ocean Path is as spectacular as any hike I've taken in Olympic NP, which I consider my "home" national park. My main and constant challenge was the fog, literally thick as pea soup as to render many vistas completely opaque. In Olympic or Mt. Rainier, you can move on top of the fog and get some cool stuff. Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the entire east coastline, north of Brazil, is just 1,500 feet. We drove to the summit six times before getting a somewhat clear view, albeit in harsh, midday sun.

A couple notes about the images below. First, nothing from the dramatic and iconic Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse. High tide occurred at sunrise and sunset (or thereabout) every day we were there. What's more, it was completely socked in by fog the two times I visited. Second, I don't know if the picture of Jordan Pond below was my best. I like one with a clear, starry sky, but the sky isn't as "starry" as I've seen of other places. It could have been. While taking the image that appears below, my daughter and I heard a coyote howling in the distance. A few minutes later, the howling was from much closer and there was a reply. Since we'd hiked out around the lake, we decided to pack up and move closer to the end by Jordan Pond House. For the only night we were there, the cloud cover was completely lifting and I was excited because I'd never tried photographing stars before. After snapping a few, there arose an almost unbelievable cacophony of loons calling and coyotes howling, it freaked us out. When we got to the totally dark and now fogged in parking lot, we heard the "pop" of someone locking their car, and that really chilled us, so we hightailed out.

Thanks for looking.

Glenn

P.S.: Based on feedback, I replaced Little Hunter's Beach.

2. Eagle Lake - the reflections were courtesy a very bright sun, which had to be tamed.

3. Jordan Pond - I couldn't say I went to Acadia without this scene, right?

4. Cadillac Mountain - because there are not enough selfies floating around.

1. Little Hunter's Beach - somewhat difficult to find, but offers quintessential

Edited on Jun 11, 2014 at 04:49 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:08 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Hey Glenn,

#1 and 2 are pretty nice compositions. I don't really care for the HDR look in them though. Not really bad, but it is there. And it was cool for your to add the self portrait of you and the lovey lady. Your wife? GF?

As for shooting stars at night. Lot's of people get freaked out by the night time sounds. So unless one can steady their nerves, shooting stars isn't for everyone. Hopefully you got something from your star shooting.

I have only been to Maine once, and that was briefly in December. It was like a frozen wasteland. I would definitely like to go back sometime.

Jim

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:57 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

JimFox wrote:
Hey Glenn,

#1 and 2 are pretty nice compositions. I don't really care for the HDR look in them though. Not really bad, but it is there. And it was cool for your to add the self portrait of you and the lovey lady. Your wife? GF?

As for shooting stars at night. Lot's of people get freaked out by the night time sounds. So unless one can steady their nerves, shooting stars isn't for everyone. Hopefully you got something from your star shooting.

I have only been to Maine once, and that was briefly in December. It was like a frozen wasteland.
...Show more

Thanks, Jim. That's actually my daughter. She'd be amused to be mistaken for a wife or girlfriend.

As for the HDR look, it escapes me in No. 2 but I see (saw) it in No. 1. Both are single shots. The original file of No. 1, plus the other shots taken at the time, even has an HDRishness to it. Maybe because they are longer exposures? I may have accentuated by opening up the shadows during Raw processing.

I'm too inexperienced to know how that HDR edge creeps into images or how to rid it in post.

Glenn

Edited on Jun 10, 2014 at 06:58 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2014 at 06:22 PM
gordon l
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

good shots. very peaceful.
doesn't have an HDR appearance (more in 1st shot) that detracts a little IMO.

gordon

Jun 10, 2014 at 06:31 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

#3 is the one I like. I personally don't think selfies belong in this particular forum. Also, there's really no need to disparage an area just because you prefer (are biased toward) another. While I enjoy much about Washington state, I would not live in Seattle for all the coffee in Starbucks.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

I like the first two. Those images speak for themselves. TMI.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:45 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

stanparker wrote:
#3 is the one I like. I personally don't think selfies belong in this particular forum. Also, there's really no need to disparage an area just because you prefer (are biased toward) another. While I enjoy much about Washington state, I would not live in Seattle for all the coffee in Starbucks.

Stan, you are just full of sunshine, aren't you? I'm really at a loss as to what you're talking about since I was effusive in my admiration of Maine, Acadia and especially Portland. As such, I'm not sure why it was necessary to take the hyper-hypocritical shot at my city (as you said yourself there's really no need to disparage an area). I'm pretty sure we'd rather not have a troll like you live here, even for all the coffee in Dunkin' Donuts.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM
G-Four

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

I really like the shutter speed in #1. You can feel the motion of the water, but it has not turned all milky.

Nice work.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

I don't know how many, if any, return to a thread, but I've added a third try, based on feedback. I'm hoping I've tamed the "HDR look." All the images are single, so it's been a little eye-opening.

5. Little Hunter's Beach Redux

Third Try

Edited on Jun 11, 2014 at 04:52 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

I'd suggest darkening the midtones of the photos to help get rid of the HDR look. That's what makes them feel flat -- your shadows and mid tones are a bit too bright. The highlights look good great to me though.

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Well I get goosebumps when I see images like this of Maine as they so well depict the beauty of the State and especially the feel of being at Acadia. Jordon pond.............my first visit with who is now my wife, early evening, quiet, serene and ohhh so peaceful then the call out of the Loons.........never to be forgotten

Awesome outing with your daughter Glenn, a great setting and images for a lifetime of memories. I enjoyed each image sir and it really makes me want to go back soon. By the way, my only attempt to the the top of Cadillac mountain got me up to the top and into the fog...........nothing to see

Take care and visit again
Karl

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:25 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

gnbuzz wrote:
Stan, you are just full of sunshine, aren't you? I'm really at a loss as to what you're talking about since I was effusive in my admiration of Maine, Acadia and especially Portland. As such, I'm not sure why it was necessary to take the hyper-hypocritical shot at my city (as you said yourself there's really no need to disparage an area). I'm pretty sure we'd rather not have a troll like you live here, even for all the coffee in Dunkin' Donuts.

Maybe I misread your "between the lines", and if so I apologize. I've experienced a lot of "Seattle superiority" and thought that's what I was reading.

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:08 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Hey Glenn!
Lovely captures, like all 3 of them, SP looks cool too, but we are not talking about these, anyway the PP looks HDRish and that pretty kills it for me, your second attempt is little better though.
I would fix the PP and you'll have a 3 winners here!

Andrey

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:44 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

I like the first two images. The processing is a bit much for my tastes but it might look ok in print as is. Makes me want to plan a trip to Acadia. Thanks for posting these.

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:39 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

G-Four wrote:
I really like the shutter speed in #1. You can feel the motion of the water, but it has not turned all milky.

Nice work.

Thanks, G!

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:27 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Ben Horne wrote:
I'd suggest darkening the midtones of the photos to help get rid of the HDR look. That's what makes them feel flat -- your shadows and mid tones are a bit too bright. The highlights look good great to me though.

Thanks much, Ben. I'm going to try that!

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:28 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Karl Witt wrote:
Well I get goosebumps when I see images like this of Maine as they so well depict the beauty of the State and especially the feel of being at Acadia. Jordon pond.............my first visit with who is now my wife, early evening, quiet, serene and ohhh so peaceful then the call out of the Loons.........never to be forgotten

Awesome outing with your daughter Glenn, a great setting and images for a lifetime of memories. I enjoyed each image sir and it really makes me want to go back soon. By the way, my only attempt to the the top of
...Show more

Thanks much, Karl. We had the exact same experience on Cadillac Mountain fives times! Tack onto that my fear of heights, which has been improving but flares up in situations like that. I'm trying to plot my way back soon. My daughter is still in Maine, studying for boards.

G

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:31 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

lionking wrote:
Hey Glenn!
Lovely captures, like all 3 of them, SP looks cool too, but we are not talking about these, anyway the PP looks HDRish and that pretty kills it for me, your second attempt is little better though.
I would fix the PP and you'll have a 3 winners here!

Andrey

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying!

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:32 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

NCAndy wrote:
I like the first two images. The processing is a bit much for my tastes but it might look ok in print as is. Makes me want to plan a trip to Acadia. Thanks for posting these.

Thanks, Andy, all the comments about the processing are motivating me to figure it out. The "HDR look" is frustrating because I didn't use any HDR and I don't like that look myself.

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:33 PM
dhou

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Glenn - Love this series of a place close to my heart! Being from NH, Acadia NP and Bar Harbor are two of my favorite places in Maine.

Also reminds me of how much I have to learn as I've visited and taken many photos of these exact locations, but have yet to be able to capture the light and mood as you have here.

Jun 11, 2014 at 09:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password